• This topic has 145 replies, 57 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by sbob.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 146 total)
  • They've really got it in for this guy………
  • fr0sty125
    Free Member

Surely the right to a family life will prevent him from being deported?

hora
    Free Member

He said he did not want to return to Australia as he did not feel comfortable living on Aboriginal land and that the country was still under the control of the Queen.

He really said that? Jesus wept.

atlaz
    Free Member

what is the risk here exactly

To be totally honest, if he’d expressed remorse rather than grabbing his 15 mins of fame with both hands I’m willing to bet he’d have got off with a slap on the wrist. Or if he’d left prison and not tried for another 15 mins of fame with that gobshite statement about being happy to go to jail again willing to bet he wouldn’t be facing a visa revocation.

He’s no real risk to the UK at all really but he’s so lacking in contrition it makes it hard to sympathise with his position.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    MoreCashThanDash

I’m liking the idea of a “Giveashitometer”!

No sympathy for him, if you can’t do the time etc. I doubt the Aussies would be worrying unduly if this was the other way round. He and his family will have to face up to the consequences of his own actions, which seems to be a social skill largely lost in current society.

If it seems disproportionate to other sentences, maybe we need to increase the other sentences…..

franksinatra

From an interview with him:

Oldfield says he believes so strongly in his cause that ‘without a doubt’ he is prepared to put himself in a situation where he may get sent back to prison –

Prison costs in the region of £41k per prisoner per year. Why would you continue to accommodate someone who is setting themselves up for this cost.

He obviously is not that fussed for his right to family life if he is prepared to get himself locked up again.

His cause is crap, his arguments disjointed and he is not going to change anything. Send him away.

Northwind

Words not actions… Lots of people declare undying faith for a cause, relatively few have it. It is only my opinion but to me the right thing to do is to punish him proportionately for the offence he has committed, and then if he reoffends punish him for that. Deportation of a proven serial offender is appropriate. Deportation of a loudmouthed tosser, I think maybe not.

Junkyard
    Free Member

If we deported anyone who said something foolish then this forum would be become very antipodean very quickly

binners

*Marks Junkyard’s card*

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Let’s send him home, along with his family, and then benchmark all other crimes and misdemeanours against it. Anyone on a visa committing a crime worse than interrupting two boat loads of posh kids going backwards whilst sitting down gets sent back home.

Binners for King. 😀

sugdenr
    Free Member

TO: Please can I come into your country and stay a while?
    HMG: OK but you must promise to be a good boy!
    TO: Yes Sir

a little while later..

TO: F***k you, you fascist elitist pigs, watch me make a massive public nuisance of myself with a useless but attention seeking stunt.
    HMG: OK sonny, GTF out of our country.
    TO: Oh that’s so unfair……..I hate you, you just dont understand me!

jackthedog
    Free Member

Anyone want to watch Trenton Oldfield speak and find out what sort of a guy he is? He was in Mark’s taxi yesterday:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHldbXh42vo

hmanchester
    Free Member

So Northwind, let me get this straight.

This guy is applying for a visa and so HE needs to prove to the country that he’s going to be a good citizen.

He committed a crime, he’s showing off about it, showed no remorse, he said he’s going to do something again.

But you want to give him the benefit of the doubt that he doesn’t actually mean it?

We live in very different worlds!

Junkyard
    Free Member

awaits better weather on the coronation of King Binners 😉

Northwind

hmanchester – Member

This guy is applying for a visa and so HE needs to prove to the country that he’s going to be a good citizen.

Peaceful political protest is being a good citizen 😉

Now on the subject of visas… he’s a Tier 1, presumably “exceptional talent”, and he’s been here for 10 years- he’d have been eligible to apply for permanent settlement and would most probably have been granted it. Which is odd frankly, and would have changed things a lot had he applied, but it does mean that talking like he’s some economic migrant here on suffrance is a bit off.

binners

munrobiker
    Free Member

Surely the right to a family life will prevent him from being deported?

Not necessarily. The current UK law on spouse visas makes it clear that your human right to family does not apply in the context of visas (which I think, if someone had the balls to take their case to the European Court would be whipped off the law pretty sharpish and normal service would resume).

atlaz
    Free Member

From that video, can anyone find this supposed request from some minister to the police to put him in the pokey. He said it was on Hansard but I can’t find it

Also, that Artist taxi bloke is a ****. Suggesting he’s being deported to Australia because that’s where we used to send criminals… 🙄

Also, Trenton really does have some mental contortions in that interview. When he says he couldn’t be part of an occupation of a place he wasn’t from (i.e. white Europeans taking Australia from the aboriginal people), he then realises what he’s just said about immigration and corrects himself and says that it’s fine for any immigrants from anywhere else to live wherever they want (which it is). Either it’s right or it’s wrong mate, make a decision.

MSP

massive public nuisance

He interrupted a rowing race between two university’s, he didn’t bring London to a standstill in rush hour. He was a minor annoyance to a few people, nothing more.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Great video – what a complete crock!

@atlaz – it’s in there, just beneath the UK’s continued subjugation and pillaging of all her past colonies.(6:37) 🙄

atlaz
    Free Member

rogerthecat – I mean I can’t find it in Hansard.

longwayhome
    Free Member

I think the reason the punishment was so severe for the crime is to deter anyone else from doing the same, otherwise the boat race would become an expensive nightmare to run.

Think about it, the boat race must be the easiest and safest major sporting event to dispupt. You don’t need a ticket and the perimeter of the playing field is enormous and difficult to police. Compare it to Wimbledon, the FA Cup, the Ashes or the Olympics. And it’s considerably safer than throwing yourself under the King’s horse.

If Joe Public realised this and saw you only got a slap on the wrist, every man and his dog would be at it.

hmanchester
    Free Member

minor annoyance to a few people

First if we just look at the competitors. Not the coaches, back up crews or any other people involved with the race. This “minor annoyance” was the wrecking of 1200 hours of hard work per head x 16 = 19,200 hours alone for the rowers.

When we can get past the fact that the boat race actually goes beyond the actual people rowing, it might suprise you that “in 2009, some 270,000 people watched the race live from the banks of the river, and in 2011 almost 17.2 million viewed the race on television”

Yes he interupted a rowing race, but the impact was big (which is what he wanted), hence the uproar. If he’d swam in front of a couple of crews as they were training the result would have been quite rightly different. But he didn’t.

Northwind

hmanchester – Member

This “minor annoyance” was the wrecking of 1200 hours of hard work per head

Are you under the impression the race was called off, or something?

(did we deport all the Americans from the oxford mutiny, or the german who broke his oar in 2012, which is what decided the race?)

hmanchester
    Free Member

Are you under the impression the race was called off, or something?

Not called off

Wrecked

They put all this training in and then had everything completely thrown overboard. The race now became about keeping warm, recovery, and far more emphasis on stamina.

Imagine if you entered a XC race or half marathon for example and you were actively competing. The race was stopped halfway round by this guy, and you had to sit around on your bike for ages before starting the whole thing again. Would the competition be wrecked for you?

If I’d trained for that, I’d consider it wrecked, yes.

If I’d have lost I’d have wondered what if. If I’d have won, it would have been a little bit hollow.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Imagine if you entered a XC race or half marathon for example and you were actively competing. The race was stopped halfway round by this guy, and you had to sit around on your bike for ages before starting the whole thing again. Would the competition be wrecked for you?

No. You would just carry on as you were, the guys that were faster than you would still be faster and would win.

hmanchester
    Free Member

That’s all right then. Let’s give him a pat on the back instead.

Northwind

The race is often interrupted and restarted, it is part of the event and it’s something they prepare for. The better team won.

And yeah, I’ve had a race interrupted halfway through, and then restarted. It affected every entrant the same, and we carried on. Not wrecked at all.

Honestly, I wonder why some people have to make it into something worse than it was- I guess if you’re not comfortable that the punishment fits the crime, you can build the crime up to be bigger? Next time he does it, it might be a child’s face!

munrobiker
    Free Member

That’s all right then.

Yes, it is.

Personally I couldn’t give a chuff either way about the boat race- I’m monumentally uninterested in it, but deporting a man without a good reason and tearing a family apart is bad news bears.

binners

I think the boat race would be greatly improved with the addition of torpedo’s, and mines!

jambalaya
    Free Member

For the record I’m glad they are sending him home, ie to Australia. There is no need for his family to be torn apart as his wife and kid can join him there. This should be the start of a new policy.

munrobiker
    Free Member

There is no need for his family to be torn apart as his wife and kid can join him there.

Because it’s soooo simple 🙄

wrecker
    Free Member

I think the boat race would be greatly improved with the addition of torpedo’s, and mines!

everything is greatly improved with the addition of torpedoes and mines 😀
    I have some similar ideas of how to make cricket more interesting.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Cricket is made more interesting by fancy dress and drinking as much as you can from 10 am onwards…i dont think armamaments would be a wise move tbh

always amazes me how many folk will self out themselves as heartlesss ****.
    However it is surprising to see them happy to rip families apart to satisfy this need in them to be ****

sugdenr
    Free Member

Australia – where all the crooks were sent.

England – where all the crook came from

You dont s**t where you sleep and he said he would do it again – so he is prepared to put his wife and kids ‘family life rights’.

Maybe you guys could have a protest about it, hold up the TdF maybe – I mean lets face it, as Wiggo said ‘its only a bike race’, i’m sure the French would see it that way and be really understanding.

hmanchester
    Free Member

Maybe you guys could have a protest about it, hold up the TdF maybe – I mean lets face it, as Wiggo said ‘its only a bike race’, i’m sure the French would see it that way and be really understanding.

Stop them half way up Alpe D’Huez. They’ll be fine hanging around and then giving it another go apparently. Won’t affect anything.

wrecker
    Free Member

i dont think armamaments would be a wise move tbh

You may think so now, but have you considered EXPLODINGBALLS(tm) or MULTIBALL(tm) or GRENADEBALL(tm)?
    Not quite so sure now, eh?

MSP

The French seem to quite actively engage in protests, I don’t even think they ask permission from the authorities first, which might seem to be a rather quaint concept on the British side of the channel.

imnotverygood

Frankly I would deport him on the basis of the ridiculous self-satisfied smirk he had as he was fished out of the Thames.

sugdenr
    Free Member

The French seem to quite actively engage in protests, I don’t even think they ask permission from the authorities first, which might seem to be a rather quaint concept on the British side of the channel.

🙄 why am I not suprised….they are French after all, so suppose you have to make allowances. Let’s face it, they cant even understand cricket, let alone knowing their place and only protesting where they dont cause a kerfuffle.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Junkyard – lazarus
    always amazes me how many folk will self out themselves as heartlesss ****.
    However it is surprising to see them happy to rip families apart to satisfy this need in them to be ****

Is that more surprising than folk who fail to see where the “real” responsibility lies? Where was the sense of responsibility (and focus) when he alone decided to do something that could be potentially fatal? Where is his sense of responsibility when saying that he would be happy to do it again and face the same consequences?

Needs to sort himself out before playing the, “but I have a family card” – otherwise its simple hypocrisy.

Still his websites will have got a lot more hits today! And the irony of his boast about the “elite” LSE. Happy to enjoy being part of an elite, but sadly reluctant to show he has benefitted or matured as a result. Perhaps we should let him stay for comedy/ironing value?

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 146 total)

The topic ‘They've really got it in for this guy………’ is closed to new replies.