• This topic has 145 replies, 57 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by sbob.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 146 total)
  • They've really got it in for this guy………
  • Woody
    Free Member

Deportation seems a bit extreme. Why not just impound his wetsuit for the next race?

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I reckon it’s likely that he won’t re-offend, although I don’t know him.

Doesn’t matter if he does because he’ll be on another continent.

hmanchester
    Free Member

Is there really any evidence

You do know he did it on live TV, admitted his crime, was arrested, went to court and was convicted?

did you make that up ?

Doesn’t look like it.

MSP

Nice bit of selective quoting there.

hmanchester
    Free Member

MSP: Me or Ernie?

If you take:

If he really wanted to spend his life doing disruptive publicity stunts then do it in your own country and bring the family to you.

I was careful with my wording here. I think it’s clear that I’ve refered to his acts in the past tense therefore speaking about the things that he’s already done.

Or Ernies selective quoting:

to spend his life doing disruptive publicity stunts

Which he choses to base his argument on.

I actually hate having to write this post. Bloody STW. Apologies for anyone that’s actually wasted their time reading it.

jamj1974

I’m with you Donal.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Tearing apart families over petty crimes is a very malicious thing to do, and I know the right wingers who hate anyone being in “their” country may not see it like that but leaving a child without a father because of a minor offence in which no one was injured and no property damaged or stolen is not appropriate. The consequences of breaking up a family, restricting someone’s access to the country and making his wife go through the turmoil of applying for a visa for another country (chances are they’ll have to be apart for a long time before she’s allowed into Australia) are far more damaging than befits the crime.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The consequences of breaking up a family, restricting someone’s access to the country and making his wife go through the turmoil of applying for a visa for another country (chances are they’ll have to be apart for a long time before she’s allowed into Australia) are far more damaging than befits the crime.

6 months for Partner Visa Max (application complete to entry)
    Express for those with young children etc.
    Tough but not the biggest turmoil ever.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I was careful with my wording here.

So was I. It’s obvious that there is evidence he has committed an offence, he’s been convicted. I asked if there was any evidence that he is likely to re-offend. Using terms such as “spend his life” suggests that you think he might.

As a general rule I think foreigners who commit crimes such as theft, rape, assault, etc, should be deported. Partly because they are likely to re-offend and partly because they are imo taking the piss.

I believe the 6mths plus deportation in the case of Oldfield is overkill. I think it was a stupid stunt against a perfectly innocent sporting event enjoyed by millions. But I also think that the unlikeliness of re-offending and his partner’s British nationality should be taken into consideration.

EDIT : For those who think that he puts his family first and wouldn’t do it again. Fair enough. He’s clearly an idiot. IMO.

bencooper
    Free Member

He was originally charged with a minor offence. This was changed later to a custodial sentence. Under pressure from above. Even so, a 6-month sentence (released after 2 months) wouldn’t normally mean you lose your visa status. Remember, this isn’t some dodgy immigrant only coming here to claim benefits, this is a person who’s lived, worked, paid taxes and built a life here for 10 years.

Now his life is being vindictively ruined – for making some people temporarily stop rowing.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Think about it.
    sentenced to year in the nick, followed by deportation, for causing a public nuisance.
    Stuart hall’s better off, for raping a nine year old. 😯
    Who can seriously say that doesn’t stink.

hora
    Free Member

TBH He/his partner would probably have a better life in Oz than here. Madness what he did however his, is hardly the crime of the sodding century. He spoke/voiced/didn’t suffer from apathy like alot of us now do. No matter how right or wrong he is.

Northwind

They should have just run him down, like that Emily Davison scumbag.

Woody
    Free Member

TBH He/his partner would probably have a better life in Oz than here.

If he does get deported, who pays for his flight? Could it be a cunning plan to get him and his wife back to Oz 1/2 price?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Could it be a cunning plan to get him and his wife back to Oz 1/2 price?

Well apparently : Oldfield says he always questioned why he and his family were in Australia as his roots are European. He says: “I thought why are we here? Living in someone else’s country. Taking land away from the indigenous people. I couldn’t ignore that political situation living in a colonial context.”

He sounds a bit of a prat imo.

Woody
    Free Member

He sounds a bit of a prat imo.

Lets get him on here. Sounds like a bundle of laughs and the place is missing a few ‘characters’ 😉

ninfan
    Free Member

Now gentlemen, lets not forget that Trenton has an MSc in ‘Contemporary Urbanism’

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Now, following his release from jail, the 37-year-old claims prison life was a ‘positive experience’ for him, he would do it again and has ‘absolutely no regrets’ about his actions.

So no regret and would do it all again…

Oldfield says he always questioned why he and his family were in Australia as his roots are European. He says: “I thought why are we here? Living in someone else’s country. Taking land away from the indigenous people. I couldn’t ignore that political situation living in a colonial context.”

So he moved to the UK to nick land of good hard working gentry who like to row.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Lets get him on here. Sounds like a bundle of laughs and the place is missing a few ‘characters’

We need more right-wing ‘characters’ on here, specially after Z-11’s sad demise – not seen since Thatcher’s funeral. Not more politically correct guardian reading type ‘characters’.

chrismac

What do you expect? He interupted a toffs money making event dress up as a a sporting tradition

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

after Z-11’s sad demise – not seen since Thatcher’s funeral.

you reckon z-11 was really the wicked witch?

hmanchester
    Free Member

Perfect timing Chrismac.

I assume that’s the type you were thinking of Ernie?

Northwind

Never saw them in the same room, did you.

How about… Spread tacks on a road to disrupt a charity cycle race, cause thousands of pounds worth of damage, massive disruption, risk the safety of riders etc, charges quietly dropped. Disrupt boat race- hung drawn and quartered.

ninfan
    Free Member

How about… Spread tacks on a road to disrupt a charity cycle race, cause thousands of pounds worth of damage, massive disruption, risk the safety of riders etc, charges quietly dropped. Disrupt boat race- hung drawn and quartered.

Ah, but the difference there is that they couldn’t prove it was him

What Trenton should have done was spread thousands of tacks on the River Thames!

Junkyard
    Free Member

Not more politically correct guardian reading type ‘characters’

But i want more friends [obviously I dont get out much and I am socially maladjusted]

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Ah, but the difference there is that they couldn’t prove it was him

…and that the “him” in question was a senior partner in a firm of solicitors resident in a wealthy part of Perthshire

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Now gentlemen, lets not forget that Trenton has an MSc in ‘Contemporary Urbanism’

Sounds like reason enough to deport him!

binners

He should have asked for some advice on lawyers from…

He knows a few who are pretty hot on preventing deportations

dabble
    Free Member

As a general rule I think foreigners who commit crimes such as theft, rape, assault, etc, should be deported. Partly because they are likely to re-offend and partly because they are imo taking the piss.

This.

But apparently a rapist has more right to a family life. I’m not defending this bloke but as has been said, there are a lot worse people walking the streets using their “human rights” as an excuse to commit savage and brutal crimes against other people. What about the rights of everyone else to not have to live in fear? I would quite happily kick them all out personally, off the top of the White cliffs of Dover.

atlaz
    Free Member

Sentenced to a year? 6 months but out after 2.

I do wonder though, if the people saying it’s disproportionate accept that he did this to himself. He’s said he’d do it again, intimating the cost to his family is worth whatever “good” he feels disrupting a rowing event brought. His public statements make him sound like a bit of a prick and if he has no consideration for his wife and unborn child, why on earth should the government or courts?

Junkyard
    Free Member

We should give his wife and child consideration because to not do so leave us to be just like him.
    I dont want to be a prick do you?

stealthcat

Call me a cynic, but basic maths/biology here.

Sentenced in October 2012 for an action in April 2012.

June 2013 – “I broke the terms of my visa, but you can’t refuse me leave to remain because my wife’s pregnant!”

OK, it doesn’t say how many months pregnant his wife is, or even when he married her, but still…

atlaz
    Free Member

So what’s the solution? A bloke on a visa says he’ll happily go to prison again to further his goals (whatever they are). Do you just keep putting him away for longer and longer periods (like the naked hiker) or do you just ask him to kindly bugger off home?

Northwind

atlaz – Member

if he has no consideration for his wife and unborn child, why on earth should the government or courts?

Because it’s them that we’d be screwing, not him, and they’re completely innocent. (Dur)

atlaz
    Free Member

Northwind – but you can use the same argument for putting anyone in prison or deporting them. They have loved ones, lets not be mean to their loved ones because they didn’t do the crime.

franksinatra

My Giveashitometer is failing to register this.

It may not be fair but those were the rules he signed up to when he applied for his Visa. This is a consequence of his own actions.

Northwind

atlaz – Member

Northwind – but you can use the same argument for putting anyone in prison or deporting them.

And we do, all the time.

Junkyard
    Free Member

but you can use the same argument for putting anyone in prison or deporting them. They have loved ones, lets not be mean to their loved ones because they didn’t do the crime.

Indeed so we weigh up whether the damage to the family is greater than the risk to us…what is the risk here exactly? he does something else stupid to ruin something else tbh I bet he is regretting saying that now and will be on his very best of behaviour from now on if he gets to stay.

You are right though that we need to balance the rights and risks here

binners

From his interview…..

He said he did not want to return to Australia as he did not feel comfortable living on Aboriginal land and that the country was still under the control of the Queen.

So he doesn’t want to go to a country that was still under the control of the Queen? Erm……. I see a slight flaw in his argument here

Anyway… he sounds like a complete cock! Which, once I’m running the country, will be reason enough on its own for deportation. Even if you were born here. That’s no defence!

And being called Trenton would also be a deportation offence of it own right too. Because its a stupid name! So one way or another, he’s on his way home

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 146 total)

The topic ‘They've really got it in for this guy………’ is closed to new replies.