Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • They're Trying to Dumb Down the Olympics!
  • joao3v16
    Free Member

Probably the stupidest thing I’ve heard in a long time.

It’s bad enough pretending synchronised swimming’s a ‘sport’.

What next? Olympic Air Guitar?

I hope everybody ignores these tools…

That is all 🙂

philconsequence
    Free Member

i think its a good idea… more to it that running/throwing something

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

But this means STW will have to ban the Olympics, surely?

aracer
    Free Member

What next, synchronised stripping?

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Last time we did this It didn’t end well…

joao3v16
    Free Member

In my irrelevant opinion, any event for which the result is decided by a panel of judges is not a proper sport. Too much room for subjective opinion, interpretation, did they see everything properly, open to bribery, politics etc… I don’t believe anyone can be 100% impartial and objective in these situations.

Whereas stuff like running, throwing, jumping and so on it’s clear who’s the best when you’re measuring against a clock or ruler.

The only variable to deal with is doping.

And while I’m at it, if you’re not physically exerting yourself you’re not doing a proper sport either (shooting, archery, dressage, etc)

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

What next, synchronised stripping?

Then what? synchronised blo…

maccruiskeen

any event for which the result is decided by a panel of judges is not a proper sport

You need to get a better understanding of what ‘sport’ is then, its a much broader definition than you’re imagining. The criteria for sport requires that theres a level playing field or common handicap – fair play, that theres skill and commitment and that its entertaining – and thats it. Physicality needn’t come into it at all. The the outcome can entirely come down to judgement rather than measurement – so long as you ensure fair play.

wwaswas

Then what? synchronised blo…

at last a sport the British can come first at!

Oh, hang on.

uplink
    Free Member

IMO – If you can do it wearing a cap and smoking a pipe, it’s not a sport

I therefore conclude that pole dancing is indeed a sport and should have a strict dress code and 2 heats a day for the duration of the tournament, with a grand final judged by telephone vote from the general [strike]purves[/strike] public

maccruiskeen

IMO – If you can do it wearing a cap and smoking a pipe, it’s not a sport

I’ll let you explain that to a wheelchair athelete 😀

uplink
    Free Member

I’ll let you explain that to a wheelchair athelete

sure, send him round

maccruiskeen

wwaswas

his garden could do with a tidy up.

CaptJon
    Free Member

They need to cut down on the the swimming events for starters – the cyclists don’t get four chances to win an event by doing it forwards, then handicapping themselves by doing it backwards, sides, with one hand etc.

uplink
    Free Member

leaning on a bike isn’t a sport – I rest my case

maccruiskeen

atlaz
    Free Member

There’s been much stranger things at the Olympics like literature, architecture, music, painting etc

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_competitions_at_the_Olympic_Games

trail_rat
    Free Member

wouldnt surprise me if its turned into britains got tallent tbh …..

maccruiskeen

literature, architecture, music, painting etc

totally – there still is a ‘cultural olymiad’ but its not undertaken competitively like it used to be. In Fife they run a watercolour painting competition. Turn up at a given a time – the subject is announced and you’ve all got a fixed time to go away – do your painting, come back and have it judged. Thats sport.

EDIT
    However – getting back to the original post – if some marketeers put out a press release and a paper prints it it goes no way towards something being considered by anyone as an olympic event. It doesn’t prevent poledancing – organised competitively – from being a sport

uplink
    Free Member

do your painting, come back and have it judged

Maybe they could do pics of pole dancers?

alex222
    Free Member

In my irrelevant opinion, any event for which the result is decided by a panel of judges is not a proper sport. Too much room for subjective opinion, interpretation, did they see everything properly, open to bribery, politics etc… I don’t believe anyone can be 100% impartial and objective in these situations

so all big air winter olympic sports (excluding ski jump) are not real sports then?

maccruiskeen

ski jumping is judged also, distance is part of it, but you have to be judged to have jumped stylishly for your jump to count

maccruiskeen

McHamish
    Free Member

it’s too dangerous…

Pole Dancer Paralysed

alex222
    Free Member

alright. still i think my case stands

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

I woulnt have a problem being a judge for that. Sounds like a fantastic idea to me. Take out all the horse dancing to make way for it. Animals shouldnt be involved in human sports…

maccruiskeen

McHamish – Member
    it’s too dangerous…

Pole Dancer Paralysed

*Starts campaign for poledancing to become a para-olympic sport*

maccruiskeen

TrentSteel
    Free Member

there must be hundreds of other “sports” that petition the olympic committee all the time, and what exactly is wrong with them asking? its not as if it will happen is it.

The Guardian managed to pick one of the more contentious ones to make people think “What is the world coming to”

DezB
    Free Member

Anyone fancy coming to Brighton with me to check out the eligibility of this new so-called “sport”?

chvck
    Free Member

Could you not say that sports such as football and rugby are judged in quite a large part? Whether something is a foul, out or a score generally comes down to a small (often 1) panel of judges?

Also, surely pole dancing is as acrobatic as that balance beam event, or a number of the gymnastic events for that matter.

Kevevs
    Free Member

The olympics is wrong, pole dancing is wrong, stw is wrong. Monkeys riding bikes, oh so right!

joao3v16
    Free Member

so all big air winter olympic sports (excluding ski jump) are not real sports then?

In my head, not really.
    But each to their own.

Animals shouldnt be involved in human sports…

Oh, yeh, I forgot about this – using animals negates it being a proper sport too.

I know, I know, my opinions annoy some people.

But this is only an interwebs fori, so ultimately meaningless.

joao3v16
    Free Member

Could you not say that sports such as football and rugby are judged in quite a large part

Football, rugby and the likes are just games.

chvck
    Free Member

Football, rugby and the likes are just games.

What are the Olympic Games then?

gonefishin
    Free Member

In my irrelevant opinion, any event for which the result is decided by a panel of judges is not a proper sport

So neither boxing or any of the martial arts count as sport? That’s the first time I’ve heard that argument.

DezB
    Free Member

Amateur boxing is a farce, not a sport.

D0NK

If it was invented a few hundred years ago it would be in with the gymnastics already. In the publics mind it’s seedy and sordid, slowly changing tho. No more daft than plenty of other sports/events already in the games.
    I’m also unure about stuff decided by judges and anything that you can do without breaking a sweat but there’s plenty of skill involved in low/none-activity sports. Golf? plenty of people like watching/doing that sport passtime

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘They're Trying to Dumb Down the Olympics!’ is closed to new replies.