Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • they just work – new iphone help please
  • scaredypants

Apparently the legendary foolproof nature of the mighty apple has met its match

My daughter’s replacement iphone6 apparently won’t set itself up from a backup generated by her current phone (wife’s spare old i5) She says the icloud was complaining about different versions of ios on the 2 devices. I suggested she update whichever one needs it but now apparently after signing in and connecting to the icloud the new phone still can’t see any backups, just shows a spinning “waiting” icon.

As the only household member that doesn’t use one, I know **** all about apple things. Regardless, this seems to be my job 🙄

Please can a grown-up explain how to do this ?
    AFAIK she hasn’t switched off/disconected the old phone – is that a problem ?
    Is it better to connect to itunes on a computer rather than the wifi (as she insists she has done before) ?
    Shall I smash it over my knee ?
    Does anybody want a fight ?

nickdavies

Set the phone up as a new phone, update iOS to the correct version then erase the iPhone and set up from the backup.

CHB

Just done two Xmas related 5 and 5s to 6s upgrades. All went very smoothly by all accounts (I did nothing!). Key thing I suggest is to update the software on the 5 before upgrading and make sure it is backed up to icloud. Then with a CLEAN 6 it will give you the option of setting up as a new phone and should pull all the stuff it needs off the cloud.
    On my daughters phone 5s it did some new phone to phone set up that I have not seen before, I am not sure if iPhone 5 supports the OS with this feature.
    Good luck!

GrahamS

I usually do these thing via iTunes rather than the cloud.

– Do a full backup of the old phone in iTunes, with a password set (as that way it includes all your passwords etc).
    – on the old phone, log out of your iCloud account, then do Settings->General->Reset and erase everything.
    – once done, remove the SIM card, and put old phone to one side.
    – insert SIM into new phone
    – connect to iTunes and select the options to set up as a new phone from a backup.

Only hitch is if the old phone is on a newer iOS than the new one. If that’s The case you need to set up the new phone as a brand new phone, update iOS, then do the Restore from the old phone backup.

Merry Xmas.

GrahamS

Follow this advice to make sure the old phone is properly wiped and ready to sell/pass on.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201351

scaredypants

Thanks folks

Still won’t – I agree with Graham that doing it via a pc would be better

Although both devices are “updated”, the 5 is on 10.3.3 and the 6 is on 11 of some sort. Is this it ? Will it never go in that circumstance ?

On further questioning, it seem that the only issue here is that she’ll have to put some personal effort into copying across all 10,000 selfies.
    I suspect we can all stand down; I’d assumed from the amount of whingeing that it wasn’t working at all

Ho, Ho, Ho – merry christmas !

sbob
    Free Member

Does anybody want a fight?

My Samsung brick would kick the shit out of your Apple. 😈

coolhandluke
    Free Member

We’ve a 6 but gave updated it but to update it, we heeded storage space so deleted some apps. We backed it up to I cloud first then deletes sos, updated it, if we now re-backnit up, will the I cloud back up reflect Thetes hardly any apps on the phone?

scaredypants

been on the sherry, chl or is it chilly in your house and you’re wearing gloves ? (coldhandsluke) 😀

good tips, though I think it’s a pretty empty device apart from messaging app bollocks. Did it tell you that you’d run out of space during the attempted changeover or did you have to work that out for yourself ?

coolhandluke
    Free Member

or is it chilly in your house

Chilly in MiL house, tight sods won’t put the heat on.

Update said it needed more space.

We just went to the apple shop. The sorted us out. I’m an apple numpty. Android fanboi.

jambalaya
    Free Member

On further questioning, it seem that the only issue here is that she’ll have to put some personal effort into copying across all 10,000 selfies.

🙂

BTW if she doesn’t backup her phone then those 10,000 photos aren’t saved anywhere and would be lost if phone died / was stolen (assuming she doesn’t have paid for iCloud or something like Flickr app auto backup)

Seems unlikley the new phone will have less storage than the old ? As above we only ever do this via iTunes and it always works well.

CaptJon
    Free Member

“They just work” – not heard that phrase in relation to any kind of new technology for ages. Those were the good old days.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’ve always taken the option to either restore from previous iCloud backup vs set up as a new device literally. I.e. if I am setting up a new device I choose the latter and still get all the apps, settings etc as the previous device because all those settings and characteristics belong to your Apple ID and not the device. Apple is pretty device agnostic.

I’d only use set up from iCloud backup if I was restoring an existing device rather than setting up a new one.

So it has always ‘just worked’ for me. The wife did this just this morning with her new iPad – within 5 mins from getting it out of the box it was properly set up with all her apps downloading, iTunes syncing and all the iCloud and family sharing settings set up.

Maybe you can start again and choose the set up as a new device option instead?

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

The 5 won’t update past 10.3.3 – that’s the last one released for them. You won’t be able to get both phones on the same iOS version

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘they just work – new iphone help please’ is closed to new replies.