Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Thetford riders….
  • Kryton57

So how do ride the singletrack so fast that a FS rear end doesn’t bog down on the closely spaced compressions? What’s the technique?

grahamt1980

Easiest answer is use a hardtail. Much better at thetford anyway.
    Either that or learn how to double them

Militant_biker

A little less rebound damping?

andypaul99
    Free Member

push and pull, no really.

grahamt1980

Keep you head level and let your body track the compressions, and whatever you do, don’t sit down

paulmgreen
    Free Member

Krypton….. Are you talking about this weekends course??

londonerinoz
    Free Member

Pretty much anyone I’ve ever spoken to while racing at Thetford has said they love the singletrack but it kills your back no matter what you ride.

Kryton57

Paulmgreen – yes I was. I took a FS and at times felt the rear in was being sucked in and stalling, yet had the topper most boys sailing past on Hard tails as if there were no effort. I refuse to believe that’s the 29er effect 🙂

I also place much lower than expected and am wondering if this is part if what I need to improve for the next rounds to carry more speed or just bring my HT instead.

stumpy01

Rear end bodding down sounds like too much rebound damping. But, it’s a fine line at Thetford from being too much to too little.

Even with my 140mm FSR, I find there are certain sections where if you want to keep your speed up, you still need to get out of the saddle as you would on a hardtail and get more active with your body movements, rather than letting the bike do all the work.

I find I tire out quicker on a hardtail at Thetford, as I am standing more of the time than I am on my FSR so my legs fatigue.

EDIT –

I also place much lower than expected and am wondering if this is part if what I need to improve for the next rounds to carry more speed or just bring my HT instead.

What do you mean? Were there more faster people there than you were expecting or was the course harder than you thought it would be.
    I find that a lot of people under-estimate how tiring Thetford is ‘as there’s no hills’. But, the flat terrain combined with the undulations mean you are on it all the time; there is nowhere for your legs to have a short breather.

davetrave
    Free Member

As an ex-Thetford local, hardtail and get used to constant pedalling/never sitting on the saddle. Unless you want to destroy your back… Honestly never felt the need for an FS when I lived there, you just need to develop the right technique for the singletrack – constantly hover out of the saddle and, as said elsewhere, track the compressions. Good for building strength in the legs all that time out of the saddle, locals also develop an immunity to “Thetford Back” over time as well…

andypaul99
    Free Member

i also place much lower than expected and am wondering if this is part if what I need to improve for the next rounds to carry more speed or just bring my HT instead.

Is this the first time you raced at Thetford?

The terrain is quite unique in the way that it looks easy, but because the forest is sand based its actually pretty tough esp if you arent used to riding constantly ‘power on’,i would say the bogging down is probably the stodgy condition of the trail this time of year as much as anything else. Its just sapping away at your legs.

A hardtail might be partial soloution on the next round as Brandon is much smoother and there are more climbs, but for the other sides of the forest stick with the full suss, unless its pouring with rain you can get away with racing ralphs quite happliy, high tyre pressures, make sure your shock pressures and re-bound are set correctly.

Most importantly try to train at Thetford, Tunstall or even Rendalsham which mimic Thetfords sandy stodgy conditions.

Good luck

Kryton57

Thanks for the replies – most helpful.

I have ridden at Thetford lots but in a short-stop-short social kind if way not a full on blast for 2hrs. Looking at my HR Data I was in the red zone for all of the 3 laps I did. I’d consider myself fairly fit, but this is my first “short form” cycle race if any kind, I usually go for distance – so yes part of the issue was there were plenty faster than me. Still I am only 2 weeks into a training plan for road crits next Feb so I should get more power through training.

Re the Rebound – actually it was set fine, more of any issue was the shock plummeting through its travel set at “normal” levels despite propedal being on “3”. Perhaps 20psi more needed regardless of what the sag measurement is – but then taking a 5″ bikes uwas to the best idea either.

After wistfully looking over Carbon 29er for Racing duties last might I’ve decided to mtfu and defer to my 26″ 100mm HT for racing and just get used to riding it faster. After all, it’s lighter and better geared for this kind of stuff.

slowjo
    Free Member

Another Thetford tip….roll a big gear through the whoopy bits. Apart from being more efficient, it helps you keep out of the saddle.

IME rigid with 2.4 tyres (or similar) is best for Thetford.

davetrave
    Free Member

Fancy meeting you here John…!

slowjo
    Free Member

😯

Fancy eh!?

Got to keep my hand in you know!

stu170
    Free Member

I ride a giant anthem and have my rebound set a couple of clicks towards quicker. I find all the whoops a killer on the back after a few hours of riding hard, mainly because im out of the saddle and pumping a lot.
    Didn’t much enjoy it when I first moved here. But now I love those sections andwith riding there a lot seem to have got it. Hard to explain really, but I pump it a lot and use the short sections between to get a few low gear pedal turns I to keep the speed up. Speed is key for them I think, they are quite enjoyable when you get it right. Hard work though

Edit to add I do ride at 30 per cent sag

badgerboy
    Free Member

Said the retired gynecologist slowjo!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Thetford riders….’ is closed to new replies.