Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Thetford ride on Saturday, which bike?
  • matty456
    Free Member

Due to ride Thetford on Saturday, never been before. From what I’ve read it seems quite flat and sandy. What are the conditions like at the moment and which bike to ride? SS 29er 32/18, or 1×9 29er both rigid or 1×10 26er with sus forks. Cheers.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Which is the reddest?

rossburton
    Free Member

Yes mostly flat, yes sandy (although this time of year, it’s fine). If you’re one of those people who like the idea of singlespeed rigids then Thetford is probably one of the best trail centres for it…

(personally I had a 26er singlespeed for winter riding at Thetford but always ended up taking my full-susser anyway…)

garage-dweller

Unless it’s dramatically changed its flipping pedally.

For me it would be the geared bike to give my legs a change of tempo if nothing else.

It has been a few years since I last went though.

matty456
    Free Member

I thinks it’s gonna have be the Single Speed Karate Monkey with rigid carbon forks! Might take the 1×9 gearing in my pocket just in case! 😉

pirahna
    Free Member

I’d take the bike you don’t mind getting covered in very fine sandy grit, probably a rigid singlespeed.

I wouldn’t call Thetford a trail centre. It’s mostly flat and very sandy pine plantation with a few marked trails. There are better trails than the marked ones but you need to know where to find them.

rossburton
    Free Member

If you’re *really* lucky the new rock sections at the beginning of the Lime Burner will be open.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/14732281698/permalink/10153227823326699/

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Unless it’s dramatically changed its flipping pedally.

For me it would be the geared bike to give my legs a change of tempo if nothing else.

This. It’s surprisingly good exercise – because there’s few ups, there’s few downs so you just don’t get a break from pedaling. Also to enjoy any of the (few) features there, small jumps and berms, you have to generate your own speed.

Last time I was there I was glad of a fork, as the ridge and furrow forestry system that the trails cross is tiring.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Thetford ride on Saturday, which bike?’ is closed to new replies.