• This topic has 17 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Moe.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Thetford Forest – going tomorrow – opinions…
  • JPcapel
    Free Member

Having got MBUK this month, with its 50 best trial centres freebie, I am taking a punt and visiting Thetford forest tomorrow to ride the black Xc route in the morning and red in the afternoon.

I have a ragley ti hardtail and a turner 5spot – any recommendations on which I’ll have more fun on. Heading to Wales I’d usually take my 5spot to save my back and give me some welcome comfort.

Does the black root have any jumps or fun stuff?

Thanks in advance for any responses, friend has said its as flat as a pancake !

goodgrief
    Free Member

take the ragley and ride the long red.
    the black isn’t even vaguely fun until you get to “the beast” which is kinda enjoyable

sebgt
    Free Member

There are bomb holes to play in, and the rest of the singletrack you can make as hard as you want with the amount of speed you apply. The hardtail would be the way to go, but as Thetford is so bumpy sometimes you can get a bit of back pain from bouncing around.

KonaTC

Take the HT and explore the Brandon side of the forest. Parking is way cheaper on the Brandon side as well

JPcapel
    Free Member

goodgrief,
    Appreciate reply.
    On the basis I will go at speed for the morning, then have a fatbastard lunch, then pottle round in the afternoon, would you recommend we hammer the red full route first, with you giving that the nod as being best? Assume no big drops to launch, etc and therefore hardtail best?
    M.thanks.

Diane
    Free Member

After the beast turn right and right up the fireroad and go back round to where the Beast starts again – there are 2 other descents that go in just before on the right – Double Shocker and MX I think it’s called – nice for a play 🙂
    Definately hardtail 😀 just get your gearing and pumping right for the lumpy bumpys

letmetalktomark

I ride around these parts regularly.

Park here >>

http://www.suffolk.gov.uk/Environment/CountrysideServices/BrandonCountryPark/

Much cheaper than the other site, plus the food is better at the cafe.

Its easy to pick up the routes from the car park and there are always plenty of riders about to ask.

As above ^^ the extended red route is probably your best bet.

IIRC from the car part in the link above, around the red route an then back to the car is about 17miles – I think.

There is loads of riding to be had on the Brandon (above link) side too – but navigating can be tricky due to the best bits not being signposted.

Still if you have a good sense of direction you will be fine.

Allow about an hour for the extended red route car to car and about 2 hours for the Brandon side to explore.

Enjoy 🙂

Oh and take the HT 😉

JPcapel
    Free Member

Brilliant, letmetaltalktomark – hugely appreciate the details provided.
    HT it is then, which is good as friend rides my old Dialled Bike PA MKIII frame who is joining me for the day.
    Thanks for parking tip and better lunch option too!

The reference to sense of direction……….geetee1972 or heihei (usual riding friends) will be rolling around at this, I am possibly the worse person I know for sense of direction. Might make tomorrow a bit longer I suspect!
    Thanks again for all replies, all info. appreciated.
    I’ll post up how I found it after tomorrow.

davetrave
    Free Member

+1 for the Brandon side – plenty of off-piste fun! Just go explore…

richmars

Turn left at the bottom of the Beast, cross the road to what looks like a dried out stream, then either left or right after about 20m, will get you going on the Branden side. After that, you’re on your own!

letmetalktomark

JPcapel – Member

The reference to sense of direction……….geetee1972 or heihei (usual riding friends) will be rolling around at this, I am possibly the worse person I know for sense of direction. Might make tomorrow a bit longer I suspect!

After nearly three years of riding around the non posted trails I am only starting to be able to piece them together into a cohesive loop …. 😳

This is why I try to ride with a group 😆

On a serious note though its kind of grid based so in theory* even if you loose your bearings you should** be able to pick up one of the trail markers of the designated walking route and or blue route which takes in the Brandon side.

Personally this is where the better riding is to be had but the red route is good & fun especially with conditions as they are at the moment.

* Try not too prove this wrong though 😛

** I am not responsible if you are abducted my Thetford locals and or Roe deer

richmars

Best way to learn the Brandon side is to do a few races.

JPcapel
    Free Member

Ok, I feel encouraged, I will aim to go off-piste and see how I fair.
    I have felt like riding shouldn’t be follow the sign posts, this seems too scripted, so hopefully tomorrow will prove inspiring to try and find our own way.

letmetalktomark

You can kind of see the grid pattern below.

Best riding is in the red square – just be careful you aren’t shot as a trespasser on the Elevedon Estate land …….

prezet
    Free Member

Thetford is as flat as a flat thing – hardtail definitely way to go, although at the moment it’s very rutted out from winter. Black is a bit dull imo, the short red is fun for a bit of a blast, each section is a little different from the next – from fast, bermed single track to tight runs between the pine trees.

Personally the bit I like playing on the most is The Beast and The Shocker (at the end of the black), although easily reached by fireroads.

Was there a couple of weeks ago and it’s quite dry and sandy at the moment, so might be wise to pick tyres carefully as people have been washing out.

Kryton57

ROFL at the red square, just mind you don’t pile head first into it as you are riding…

Moe

Go to the TIMBER forum and post in Group rides, you never know there might be a local about that can guide you to the off piste stuff. Unfortunately I’ll be at work tomorrow.

I live just above the red square….. it’s a bit*h to bunny hop on the way in! 😆

Moe

……. well? how’d it go?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Thetford Forest – going tomorrow – opinions…’ is closed to new replies.