Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Thetford
  • blitz

Myself, the wife and kids will be heading up from Kent to Peterborough for a long weekend in early Apri for my nephew’s birthday. It’s also my birthday so had a thought of taking the bikes, leaving the kids at the mother-in-laws and having a night away with the wife and a day on the bikes together in Thetford as it’s only an hour away.

Any recommendations for places to stay and eat? It will be a Sunday night with riding on the Monday if that makes a difference.

How is Thetford likely to be riding then? Does it hold up well? Mudfest?

I’ve read it’s not too challenging but that’s fine as wife is not all that experienced and I’m no riding god. Are there any particular routes to go for or avoid?

Any other advice?

Cheers

shortyj15

You should be fine that time as it’s fairly well draining. Peterborough on the other hand 😀

Bullet

We stayed in these with a group of friends and had a right laugh. Just trying to remember the pub we used which was fantastic… http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/ukcampsites/club-glamping/camping-pods/pods-at-thetford/

Bullet

This was it http://www.dog-and-partridge.org.uk/ great beer and top pies etc :-). We rode through the forest to look for it and had a very wobbly ride back!

Mbnut
    Free Member

The Bridge Hotel in Brandon is right on the Thet and has boats to have a row if you fancy it.

The rooms are excellent and the staff good.

Next door the Ram Hotel offers basic food but a friendly atmosphere.

Opposite the Brandon Hotel offers high end food.

The Thetford trails are a five minute drive or 7 minute ride away.

cheers_drive

It’s generally not too muddy and drains quickly. Take an xc bike as its non stop pedalling and its only fun if you’re going fast

dekadanse
    Free Member

Thetford the only place I have been able to go locally this very wet winter where it drains well and is not too claggy. Was there on Sunday – great. I also notice a new ‘smooth but swoopy’ trail is in the process of construction coming up from the Beast. Not finished yet, but some cheeky rides are a possibility!

blitz

Cheers for that. Will check those places to stay in Brandon and that pub sounds excellent too so will maybe look at that for lunch on the Monday.

Positive that it drains well too. We both ride short travel full sus bikes anyway as our local riding is woodland xc so should be well suited.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Thetford’ is closed to new replies.