Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • These sell your own house websites
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Anyone tried this? Did it work out well?

DezB
    Free Member

I bought mine on one. Found it through Zoopla, but the agent was an online thingy.

molgrips
    Free Member

I just want my house listed on Rightmove tbh.

weeksy

and you’re going to do all the viewings ? Answer all the questions ? time and time again, day after day ? what about work ? what about tidying every day ?

Seriously, it ain’t worth it. The house buying/selling process is a pain.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m sure it’s a pain, but my wife doesn’t work so it can be her pain.

Also, don’t overlook that handing over five grand to an agent is also a pain 🙂

weeksy

it’s not… honestly… When your house takes 12 months to sell like ours has, handing over the money was effortless… truly effortless.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yah well we don’t have it, so we can’t 🙂

We saw an amazing house we want, but our capital will only cover the deposit, the stamp duty and the solicitor’s fees.

We don’t have to move, so if it doesn’t sell before the one we want does, we’d just stop.

weeksy

Sell yours for £6000 more ?

molgrips
    Free Member

If it was worth £6000 more I’d be selling it for £6000 more wouldn’t I? 🙂

weeksy

you never know what it’s worth till you advertise it fella 🙂

That’s the joy of buying and selling, everyone wants something for nothing.

Anyway… this is going no-where so i’ll leave the thread alone. But in my recent experiences (exchanged contracts on Weds) having an EA was a wonderful thing and worth every penny.

towzer

I used housesimple (basic package, 195 + vat = 6 months on all ‘useful’ main webs sites plus they took photos).

I
    – did EPC (reqd anyway)
    – tarted up their ad prior to it going live
    – gave them my phone no
    – handled all calls
    – did viewings and negotiations
    – appointed solicitor (nneded anyway)
    they
    – sent round photographer who also did floorplan and ‘basic’ ad
    – put ad on all main web sites(RM Zoo etc)
    – gave my no to any callers

worked very, very well for me
    1 eejit (but they would have been an eejit via an agent – their house was defintely sold to a cash buyer – no survey done etc ..)
    1 tourist – who was pretty honest – wanted to see what we could get for X
    rest appeared to be genuine

sold successfully for 5k below absoulte top of 3 agent estimates (or 5k more than average)

I’d use them again

molgrips
    Free Member

I might prefer taking my own photos – especially if it were cheaper.

fubar
    Free Member

EA was a wonderful thing and worth every penny.

I can only imagine you are closely related to an estate agent if you are not one yourself or have some unusual circumstances. I’d never want them to in my home to do viewings and seriously if you had that many viewings but no sale then I guess there may be a reason there were so many questions.

My experience and the 2 houses I’ve sold the estate agent having once established the initial client contact have then done their best to balls it up, which they did on the last one as I only found out afterwards that I lost my buyer because the estate agent had not been returning his calls. I will always ensure a potential buyer has my direct number next time.

Anyhow, yes next time I’ll be trying the direct sale route.

LoCo
    Free Member

Just sold ours, I begrudge every single penny we have paid Davis estate agents, as we ended up taking all phots (their’s were rubbish) did all viewings bar one, got no feedback on any viewings and had to call them for updates.
    They did put house on rightmove, mind you had to edit their description as speeling mistakes and incorrect on a couple of points.
    In the end I met the buyers parnets looking at house from street and showed them round as well as organsing their viewing for next day.
    So they get 1.5% of sale price for about 2 hours shoddy work. 👿

Will sell on own next time.

weeksy

seriously if you had that many viewings but no sale then I guess there may be a reason there were so many questions.

Oh yes… many many reasons. The fact that more than once we had a swimming pool on our doorstep was slightly important due to the fact one of our buyers lived in the same village and happened to pull out at that exact time.

Happily now, they’ve fixed all the drains so no more lakes 🙂

Believe me, I’ve heard all the EA horror stories in the past too, but ours have been brilliant, going over and above to ensure the house sold as simply as possible… I imagine in some ways we are the horror client they wish they’d never had… although in my defence, none of that was actually our fault.

DT78
    Free Member

I plan to sell my own house when we put it on the market in spring. My experience of EA is useless twunts who have no idea.

All but one did nothing more than unlock the door on the viewing and shuffle around after us.

None knew any details of the property you want to know – when was the boiler last serviced, how old are the electrics, what is the parking like, what are your neighbours like… etc… I would much rather talk straight to the owner.

Even when the sale was going through they just got in the way and eventually I went round them and got hold of the sellers details to speak with them direct.

They are having an absolute laugh with the amount of effort they expend and the service they provide vs the fees that are charged.

If you are happy and can afford £6k to pay Gary from Enfields to annoy potential buyers by calling them mate all the time, go for it.

fubar
    Free Member

Oh yes… many many reasons.

glad you made them earn their money, well done 😆

DrP

I’d have been all up for the ‘sell yourself’ route, to save the money TBH.
    I went through the ‘DIY Landlord’ route and all was fine.

But when it came to selling our house (the one we rented out) the agent told me they had “someone on their books who was looking for a property just like ours”…
    I took a punt, and thought that at least it’s not money up front.. Well, he was true to his word, and showed the chap round the day after it went on the market, and we’d sold it within 4 hours of him looking at it.
    You could think of that as naff all work for £3k, or exactly the RIGHT amount of work, and was worth every penny…!

DrP

IA

I was kinda the flip side of DrP’s coin when buying.

The house I bought I saw round with the owners etc, even though they were selling through an EA.

I found out about it before it was (re)listed as the EA was showing me round another place and knew what we were after and put us on to it.

So the value of a (good) EA is that they’ll have the contacts, know people who’re ready to buy and put them on to your place. You wouldn’t get that DIY selling.

Having said that, in your situation there’s not a lot to lose DIYing it?

molgrips
    Free Member

Exactly. My wife’s mulling over if she wants to handle it all!

LoCo
    Free Member

speeling mistakes

IGMC 😳

moshimonster
    Free Member

Pros and cons of both I reckon. If you go down the traditional EA route, it obviously needs to be a good estate agent with decent local contacts and a good reputation. Where we live there is one stand out EA who is very good, some are useless. If you sell direct, you save the fees, but buyers will be aware of that too when making an offer. I would for sure.

monkeychild
    Free Member

EA are bloody useless and the letting companies are no better! I am looking forward to binning our EA/mgt company as they are garbage. It’s money for old rope. When I come to sell I’ll do it diy, as in the area where our property is, houses of its type are usually in demand.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘These sell your own house websites’ is closed to new replies.