Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • These private company parking 'fines'
  • andrewh
    Free Member

Is it still the correct thing to do to just ignore them? Yes, I know they aren’t really fines.
    Got one a month or so ago, ignored it. Had the first letter from them today, didn’t think the DVLA were allowed to give my details to private companies? Has anything changed or have I just got the wrong end of the stick?
    Might go to the council and see if it’s legit, looks like any other cul-de-sac, paved areas outside the houses, tarmac road leading up to them, which is where I was. I could make an arguement based on the placement of the signs but don’t want to get into a row with them unless I really need to, ignoring it would be much easier. I doubt they would bother starting any sort of proceedings, that would cost more then the ‘fine’ is.
    Cheers

Lazgoat
    Free Member

Have a look on peppipoo for the latest news on these companies. I had one a few months ago, ignored it completely and after 2 or 3 letters nothing has happened and the letters have stopped. YMMV

CountZero

didn’t think the DVLA were allowed to give my details to private companies?

The DVLA will sell details to anyone who asks for it, no questions asked, if it looks like the request has come from some sort of company:
    https://www.gov.uk/request-information-from-dvla

iolo
    Free Member

Check with the local council to see if the road is an adopted highway.
    If it is the private company cannot “fine” you.

globalti
    Free Member

It’s just an invoice and now they are going to try to bully you into paying it. You will receive four or five letters with increasing levels of threat and you’ll probably be able to work out that they all come from the same crappy office as they will have something like the signature in common.

Ignore them.

I think the recommended response, if you reply at all, is something like “You have sent this invoice to the vehicle’s owner. You need to send it to the driver on that day”.
    Leave them to work out who the driver was. 😉

manderson
    Free Member

They would have to take you to court and amongst other things show that they have suffered financial loss. However they no longer need to id the driver as they can take action against the owner (law changed in oct 2012). Just ignore it.

scunny
    Free Member

I got one in December. A few letters from Highview Parking, each one increasing the amount I was required to pay, they stopped for a while then i got some letters from a debt recovery company (again, Highview Parking with a mask on) decreasing the amount i had to pay and basically pleading with me to pay it.

They’ve all stopped now.

soops
    Free Member

Mrs soops got one in October from overstaying in Asda by 15mins.
    We have just ignored it after reading of others experiences ont web.

theotherjonv

Ignore at your peril. They can legitimately pursue the keeper now, since the law changed. And some companies are pursuing right to court, which you can’t ignore or you’ll get a judgement in absence, and even though in all likelihood you could defend in court do you want that hassle?

* yes, likelihood is that they will drop it if you ignore it, for the sake of a form letter outlining why you won’t pay/are prepared to defend insulates you further against the possibility, why then take the risk.

zippykona

My neice has just got one of these ,can she ignore it?
    Could they ban her from the car park if they wanted.? She uses it regularly.

MartynS

OP and chap up there ^.. Don’t ignore. Especially parking eye who do issue court papers.
    Go to either pepipoo or MSE to see how to kill this off.
    Ignoring is old advice and can land you with genuine court papers. You do need to go and do a bit of work.

matt_bl
    Free Member

I generally don’t have much time for these companies, as they seem to operate on the edge of the law and well past what most would consider reasonable.

In the case above, I can’t really see that ten hours in Morrison’s car park is reasonable either.

Matt

takisawa2

Don’t ignore it.
    I have done in the past but had Court Papers served a few weeks ago.
    I’m just preparing my “defense”.

Dispute it, & ask for a POPLA appeal number.
    Then put the case to them that the amount they are asking is not a true estimate of loss.

Had I gone the above route I could have avoided the stress of court papers arriving.
    Please don’t ignore it…

crankboy
    Free Member

The argument with parking eye is twofold one what is the loss two who has lost out . parking eye are not the owners of the land “managing” the parking is meaning less. Ask for proof that they have authority to take proceededings on behalf of the owner. They may have but often have not and it is a minefield for them see the links on an earlier thread on this subject.

soops
    Free Member

An update on Mrs soops ticket. Told her about the thread on here and she said another letter came through from a debt recovery company asking for £265.
    After explaining we had moved just about the same time as the offence and not had the letters they said we still had to pay. So she went to Asda and spoke to the manager and he wrote a letter to the debt company and it is now all sorted.

BoardinBob

Parking eye will definitely take you to court if you ignore it. Go to the pepipoo forums and get the proper advice

TrekEX8
    Free Member

Soops, glad it went well.
    However, my understanding is that there is no debt until or unless you are taken to court and you lose and you don’t settle immediately should you lose.
    Whilst pepipoo is a great source of info, I suspect that some of those contributing have a vested interest in forcing the matter one way or the other…..

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘These private company parking 'fines'’ is closed to new replies.