Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • These new Hoverboard thingies – Havent laughed so much for ages
  • TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Pressed the button at the weekend on a couple of these for the kids Christmas (We need to be very organised this year for other reasons). Did my homework and ended up with following checklist

1) Samsung batteries (Lipo batteries so don’t want the cheapest possible)
    2) Remote control (Locks the hoverboard so others cant use it)
    3) Uk Charger (Horror stories re setting fire etc)

Anyhow, we recived the boxes yesterday and they weigh a ton. These things are solid. Happy with our choice, feedback on ebay and quick delivery.

Now starts the fun. As we have them so early we didn’t want to find them not working at Christmas so we unpacked last night to check them. WOW!!

Kids and parents are in for some fun with these. I turned it on, it beeped a few times. I placed my right foot on it and it started to move away. Eh!!! I put my left foot on it and it started to move away. Eh!! I needed to almost jump on board to get on. That done, I am now doing an impression of elvis on this machine whilst the wife is peeing herself laughing. I have good balance and skateboards etc pose no problems. This thing was a bit different. After 5mins I had it down and I am spinning in circles, going forwards & backwards with some rather comic poses. Wife still laughing her head off at my antics. Getting off is interesting. Again you cant step off one foot at a time. You have to jump off. Even managed to get the wife to have a go whilst I supported her.

We are both looking forward to seeing the kids playing with them at Christmas. Don’t worry they are both very fit & healthy so it wont encourage them to be lazy.

Son came down this morning and asked what all the noise was about last night. Beeping and laughing. We said we were watching tv. Son looked very suspicous

GregMay
    Free Member
    wrightyson
    Free Member

We looked and decided they’d be probably holed up in a cupboard by February. Laddo is a demon on anything board like.
    What did you manage to get them for if you don’t mind me asking as there was such a vast array of price v choice v quality which also put me off, 200/250 I seemed to be heading for..

Mister-P
    Free Member

[video]https://youtu.be/0IQy2SRfgKM[/video]

I thought this thread was going to be Darth Vader related.

wrightyson
    Free Member

[video]https://youtu.be/ntFTpAf_e9k[/video]

Re the above article.NSFW 😆

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Hmmm probably don’t want to read this then:

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/oct/12/hoverboards-illegal-pavements-roads-scooters

Narrower, slower moving, and so far despite my middle class prejudice of their their teenage hoodie clad pilots, far more courteous than 3ft wide mobility go-karts driven by miserable fat people swerving all over the road and pavement.

GregMay
    Free Member

That’s all good then 🙂

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Pah, boring farts.

Of course I have read about the legalities etc. We live on a modern housing estate with pavements etc where these will be no worse than the skateboards, inline skates, bikes, dog walkers etc etc etc you have to deal with at the moment.

This wasn’t a convo about rights and wrongs. I think if you do a search there is already a thread somewhere on that.

Wrightyson – £209 for the black and £220 for the white one.

mtbfix

Wrightyson – £209 for the black and £220 for the white one.

Did you not heed the song on wrightyson’s post? Don’t let it be a black and a white one. I’m led to believe that they’ll slam you down on the street top.

mrsfry
    Free Member

I’m waiting for the news headlines to come from America about the first bank job done using a hover board. The police chase will be epic 😯

fadda

OP – do you have a link…?

the-muffin-man

…soon to be seen filling the ‘electricals’ skip at the recycling centre this summer!

johndoh
    Free Member

There are some boring old farts on here aren’t there?

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

mrsfry – that would be funny. You tend to look like you are walking into a strong wind when you get some speed up. I look forward to racing the 2 we have and seeing as they have something like 10km plus capacity at 12kph I reckon they would be quite hard to keep up with.

fadda, I don’t at work but I can dig it out at home.

johndoh – yep 🙁

My kids are pretty well taken care of. They don’t want for much and they keep themselves active. This is the first year in many years I have sat and said I don’t care what they want as long as its not out of budget and dangerous.

Is it any worse than some of the members on here creations when their kid just asks for a bike. Poor kid just wants a bike to doss with his pals and suddenly they have Steve Peats cast offs and are expected to start a training schedule to rival Chris Froome.

Davesport

Hoverboard……Pah ! What you need is one of these. None of the old Hydrogen Peroxide nonsense.
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3AwBSwFV2I[/video]

theotherjonv

Bookmarking as my daughter wants one

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

It’s going to be interesting in the new year to see what happens and whether the police do start doing people, or just confiscating the boards.

If they don’t I might get that unicycle as the precedent will have been set…

Boris reckons they should be legal.

The biggest issue is third party insurance, which invalid carriages don’t have to have either.

On a recent documentary some old women got sued because she injured someone whilst on her invalid carriage and they had to sell the house to pay, ended up with their marriage ending and she was alone in a little flat, which was rather sad.

aracer
    Free Member

That depends on whether household insurance will cover you for it. I don’t think those things are currently excluded from most, but if there start being lots of incidents you can bet they soon will be.

What I want to know though is how high up they hover – do they maintain a consistent altitude or go up and down?

yunki
    Free Member

I love how serious/deadpan the riders of these things look

IanMunro
    Free Member

That depends on whether household insurance will cover you for it. I don’t think those things are currently excluded from most

I’d have thought that there’s a more general clause excluding unlawful activities, which would cover most of their use outside.

aracer
    Free Member

Ah, have checked my policy, and they’re already excluded under “Motorised vehicles” – invalid carriages and electric assist bikes have a specific exception to that, so I’m dubious about the story above, given I presume the wording on mine is fairly standard. Something to bear in mind though if you (or your kids) are using one in public, that you’re potentially leaving yourself liable to huge costs if you hit somebody with one.

There doesn’t appear to be any exclusion for unlawful activities – not surprising as that would open a whole can of worms.

mattbee

Same arguments were had when electric scooters were all the rage 10 years ago. We never did get hordes of scooter riding kids mowing down innocents.
    Same will happen with these. Mainly as the bulk of the sales will be Chinese import crap which barely works so most kids who hassle their parents did one will be bored of it before schools go back.

lemonysam
    Free Member

I’m dubious about the story above, given I presume the wording on mine is fairly standard.

I guess the story is this one which made the news a lot at the time: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/north_east/8689539.stm

40mpg

Casey Neistat did a blog on his hoverboard a while back. He did a great mod with a couple of angles on the footpad that looped over his feet so he could bunnyhop up kerbs 😀

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I guess the story is this one which made the news a lot at the time: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/north_east/8689539.stm

It might have been that story but later on as she was now living on her own in a flat with the marriage broken up.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

MegaLOLZ at Darth Vader

theotherjonv

littlesthobo;

still trying to find out after your extensive research, which one you’d recommend and where you got it from.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Sorry I tried posting a picture last night but the ipad wouldn’t let me. Will fire up the laptop tonight and put a link. I have replied to the direct message to.

theotherjonv

cheers, but like you I can’t seem to post a link to the file you sent me either

maccruiskeen

(revive) Will it fit in an ammo box? 🙂

Hoover boards catching fire

Drac

My eldest wanted one she tried one a few weeks back, was able to use it within a few seconds, we decided against it as it’s a gimmick she soon will be bored of.

johnners
    Free Member

There was a short piece about these on the BBC Breakfast program this morning. Govt chap said that 8 out of 10 they inspected on import were seized as being dangerous, mainly battery/charger related I think. I can’t remember which agency he was from though.

edit – going by mac’s link I’d guess he was from Trading Standards!

Drac

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34993205

Trading Standards.

They seem to think it’s the ones bought online for less than £300 that are at risk. 😀

slowoldman

What do you do with 150,000 dodgy hoverboards (that don’t even hover)?

wwaswas

Do you think we’ll be stopping them importing some shonky Nuclear Reactors they’re building for us in a couple of years time?

“Mate, we nearly got caught out by those plonker trolleys a year or two back. You’ll not get us twice.”

GrahamS

I’m sure someone will check that the reactors have a kitemark on them.

johnners
    Free Member

They’ll be fine as long as they’re fitted with a UK plug.

willard

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OP3GGucEQuw[/video]

For those of you wishing to use your hoverboards in a more… adventurous… way.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘These new Hoverboard thingies – Havent laughed so much for ages’ is closed to new replies.