Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 396 total)
  • These make the truthers look sensible
  • surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

All up the A9 written on the back of road signs it says “The Earth is Flat” – ergo is true.

tinybits
    Free Member

I went into a field near my village, I couldn’t prove the earth wasn’t flat.

Makes you think…

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

It’s just a turtle

Don’t forget the elephants…

GrahamS

My favourite puzzle for a flatty:

In the Northern Hemisphere anyone can go out with a camera on a clear night, point it northwards and take long exposure photos of star trails like this

which appears to show rotation around Polaris, the pole star. If the Earth isn’t spinning then is it the sky/dome that spins?

In the Southern Hemisphere you can’t see Polaris in the night sky. Which seems a bit odd. But you can see the Southern Cross. And taking a star trail photo there shows rotation around Sigma Octantis instead:

If the rotation is just due to the dome spinning, then how is it spinning around two different points at the same time?

And why can everyone towards the outer edge of the disc-Earth see the Southern Cross, but not Polaris?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

The irony is that no one ever really believed the earth was flat. Yet despite evidence to that effect, folks still like to believe that they did!

GrahamS

Oh they believe alright Charlie.

There are some that just do it to troll, but they are fairly easy to spot.

The true believers tend to either be religious literalists, who say the Bible describes a dome and firmament, and that the round Earth is just a Freemason conspiracy for Satan; or your standard conspiracy nutjobs who will talk about NASA funding and government shills and will often drag in other conspiracies like chemtrails etc.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Sure, but it has never been a commonly held belief, even in antiquity.

GrahamS

It has enjoyed various levels of belief I think.

A lot of FE’ers still cite the Bedford Level Experiment performed in 1838 and later published in the book “Earth Not a Globe”, which demonstrated that you could see a flag six miles away across still water, even though it “should” be 11 feet below the horizon on the ball earth “model”.

It then resurfaced in 1904 when Lady Elizabeth Anne Blount repeated it with a telephoto lens.

bigblackshed

akira

Do they believe other planets are flat, or is it just the earth?

GrahamS

Some of them believe that the “celestial bodies” (not “planets”) are round. Though they are usually described as being much closer than science would claim.

Others don’t believe in space at all. It’s all just on the dome.

akira

What? Painted on? Waiting for Trump to put one of them in charge of NASA.

GrahamS

Take your pick: holes in the dome, projections, lasers, holograms from the moon, glimpses of heaven.

When presented with the star trails problem above I had one FE’er tell me that it couldn’t be explained because God made the Dome and it is therefore beyond our understanding.

Tough to argue with that logic! 😆

shermer75
    Free Member

That Bedford Level experiment is one of my favourite episodes in the flat earth craziness- in 1838 you could be forgiven for thinking that they were right! 🙂

nickc

These are my new favourite nutters people with a different reality 😀

slowoldman

I had a client the other day tell me the world was flat.

Are you a psychiatrist?

Coyote
    Free Member

There was one on 5-Live this afternoon. Very sincere in his beliefs he seemed. I couldn’t detect a note of sarcasm in his voice which I found very troubling.

GrahamS

Plenty of them on YouTube if you care to see how deep the rabbit hole goes.

I recommend “Orphan Red” as she is one that can actually pose questions that might make you scratch your head for a bit. (Ignore her annoying unique “ditzy” presenting style – she’s not nearly as dim as she pretends).

https://www.youtube.com/user/SecretCherryKiss

twistedpencil

She needs to point and jump more…

nickc

I recommend “Orphan Red”

I lasted maybe 30 seconds before her voice made me want to kill kittens

Onzadog
    Free Member

Some don’t accept the current scientific explanation of gravity – they believe the force is caused by the disc Earth accelerating upwards (yes I know!)

So anyone care to work out what our current instantaneous velocity is (roughly)?

tomhoward

Anyone seen the videos on YouTube where the experimenters take a spirit level on a plane and ‘prove’ the earth is flat because the bubble is in the middle when placed on a horizontal object, rather than showing the plane dropping its nose to match the curve of the earth.

Apparently gravity doesnt apply to commercial aircraft…

eddiebaby
    Free Member

So anyone care to work out what our current instantaneous velocity is (roughly)?

Relative to what?

GrahamS

Well given that, according to some Flat Earther alternate-gravity theory, the speed the disc earth is travelling upwards at has been increasing at 9.80665 m/s for however long they choose the Earth to be.

Even if “gravity” only started when I was born, we should be doing about 43 times the speed of light by now. 😆

And they think water sticking to a spinning ball is silly!

CountZero

If the world is flat, how come cats don’t knock things over the edge all the time?

GrahamS

Cat proof ice walls silly.

pondo

there are hundreds of flat earthers and yet not one is allowed to be a pilot. might want to think about that. perfect proof of the conspiracy. go into any field where flat earth theory could be disproven, and you’re not going to find a flat earther. why?

So there are no flat earthers anywhere the flat earth theory can be disproved? I like that they started to ask why, would love to know what they came up with. 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Polaris is a good one. Travel south, it gets closer to the horizon, eventually going below it. That alone is proof.

But my favourite is driving up the A493 northwards towards Barmouth. What looks like a series of islands is gradually revealed to be a string of mountains on land.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Are you a psychiatrist?

They’ve discovered us, quick – pull out the platters/hamsters from the STW server and burn them with thermite, from orbit preferably.

Spin
    Free Member

All up the A9 written on the back of road signs it says “The Earth is Flat”

I teach Geography in Inverness and I’ve had to deal with the fall out of that. 2 minutes with an inflatable globe, something to stand in for a ship and the projector to cast a shadow does the trick.

There’s also one that reads ‘The earht is flat’ but I’ll leave that for the English teachers to sort out.

Spin
    Free Member

Don’t forget the elephants…

Nope, it’s turtles all the way down…

GrahamS

2 minutes with an inflatable globe,

Can you explain further Spin?

Showing them ship disappearing on the horizon? Or showing shadows from the ship?

burko73

Grahams- non believer…..

tomhoward

Can you explain further Spin

I’ve no idea how ace a geography teacher spin is, but when he explains it, it’ll be like night and day.

5plusn8
    Free Member

I’ve no idea how ace a geography teacher spin is, but when he explains it, it’ll be like night and day.

😆

GrahamS

Their explanation for night and day is interesting* too.

Usually something along the lines of the Sun being much, much closer than science states, actually inside the “dome” just above the clouds, as “proven” by pictures like this:

It moves in large circles above the disc and, for some unfathomable reason, is very directional like a desk lamp.

* (i.e. completely barking)

5plusn8
    Free Member

I might go all in on flat earthism, its so bonkers, it’s hard not to love them the little scamps.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

Someone at one of the stores I deliver to is convinced the world is flat.
    To reinforce his opinion when he brings up the subject he bangs on about all these internet sites he’s been on that prove the Earth is flat.IMHO that’s one of the main problems with the web,people use it to reinforce their opinions not to question them or listen to the alternative view.
    He’s also a major pot head so I guess that’s also affecting his rationale…

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I might go all in on flat earthism, its so bonkers, it’s hard not to love them the little scamps.

It just makes me think I need to start my own cult.

I could then base it in the US and register as a religion to get tax breaks. It worked for Hubbard.

TiRed

How do they explain Coriolis force and differences between hemispheres? And the fact that water goes straight down the plughole only on the equator?

https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=54949.0

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 396 total)

The topic ‘These make the truthers look sensible’ is closed to new replies.