Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 147 total)
  • These energy price rises…
  • matt_outandabout

Why is the outrage not aimed at the fact that we have allowed ourselves to live in such inefficient homes and businesses?
    Surely we should be angry with building standards, the house developers and ourselves?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I’m angry that the Earth tilts on its axis as it orbits the Sun and winter will be arriving soon.

mudshark
    Free Member

I insulate myself with sheep hair

scuzz
    Free Member

Because that would involve critical analysis derived from the whole spectrum of issues that contribute to a situation! Don’t be daft maaaan!

I had no idea there was outrage – I’ve got a feeling the media are misreporting something that doesn’t actually exist again… Has that nerd from Labour said something again?

Junkyard
    Free Member

My home is about 100 years old – you really want me to get cross at the builders due to energy prices today?

I’ve got a feeling the media are misreporting something that doesn’t actually exist again

Ignorance of the events being discussed should not be a bar on entering the debate or shoehorning in a dig at a politician you dislike…well done.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

My house was built in 1910. I don’t think it’d make much difference getting angry with the now dead developer. I do get your point though.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I’ve got a feeling the media are misreporting something that doesn’t actually exist again

Rising energy prices are a media invention ?

scuzz
    Free Member

Ignorance of the events being discussed should not be a bar on entering the debate or shoehorning in a dig at a politician you dislike…well done.

Are you trying to start an argument again? 😉

I’m talking about the outrage, not the price rises. This same topic comes up this time every year without fail. Next it’ll be the rail disruptions over Christmas. Has anyone mentioned EDF’s operating costs for their domestic operations yet?

footflaps

If you can direct me to any still alive Victorian architects, I’ll be happy to have a word with them.

matt_outandabout

My home is about 100 years old – you really want me to get cross at the builders due to energy prices today?

Well, we do have the lowest re-build rate in Europe I believe. Many of our older homes should have been flattened and replaced.
    Many more should be on district heating systems.
    Even the older homes can, and should have been, insulated much better.
    IMO, the energy issues we face can be solved by efficiency, but to do this is a house-by-house, piecemeal job.
    This does not favour the big energy companies and contracting companies: and so they do not lobby and push for it to happen.
    Asking energy companies to help us save money, is like asking the local drug dealer for advice on a programme to help addicts stop
    So yes, maybe we should be angry with them – but they are just part of a big system…

scotroutes

What we need is a decent war so that they can all get bombed out and we can re-start.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I’m talking about the outrage, not the price rises.

What outrage ?

matt_outandabout

😆

scuzz
    Free Member

What outrage ?

EXACTLY!

mudshark
    Free Member

Diane Abbot’s getting quite excited about energy prices on QT at the moment.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

She’s not letting facts get in the way of a good rant!

matt_outandabout

You would not tire of slapping some people. 😉

scuzz
    Free Member

😆
    She’ll get her holiday pictures out in a minute

athgray
    Free Member

In the last 3 years the big 6 have increased prices between Sept-Nov as peak demand approaches.
    We could get cheaper bills though by scrapping emissions and climate change programs and increasing reliance on coal for energy production. Coal price could continue to remain low due to fracking in the US. Not saying this is preferable, but just putting it out there.

Tiger6791

Just run a cable to the nearest lamppost

#simples

djglover
    Free Member

Best way to get cheaper prices would be to move the green levies into taxation as is being proposed, that way the poor get the benefit and the rich pay more, but the government are hardly going to go for that one.

Either that, or slow investment in generation or distribution.

Other than that it was good to see most people on QT see the proposed labour policy for what it is.

just5minutes
    Free Member

70% of households have never switched suppliers – even the simple thing of switching is apparently too much effort.

somafunk

Tiz a shame the old fashioned spinny disc electricity meters got changed a few years ago, was rather simple to rig up a simple thingyummy box (unspecified) to run them backwards or so i heard from a bloke down the pub………..

mikewsmith
    Free Member

we should make sure that the prices are driven down so people can consume power like it’s free and make no attempt to reduce consumption.

There is a simple way to reduce your power bill, reduce your consumption and/or generate your own.

wiggles
    Free Member

fixed price tarrif just before price rises.. May have timed it right for once as I can’t see the prices staying put/going down unless what’s-his-face-milliband gets his own way

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

There is a simple way to reduce your power bill, reduce your consumption and/or generate your own.

Or just simply die, that’s what thousands do every winter because they can’t afford the energy bills.

Fuel poverty and cold weather: the deaths that shame Britain

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So Ernie should we make energy cheaper or use the money to fund ways to reduce these peoples bills and make their homes more efficient. One sounds like a long term solution.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Silly old and poor people in draughty houses eh ?

Someone ought to do something about it.

TooTall
    Free Member

So yes, maybe we should be angry with them – but they are just part of a big system…

and some people WHO COULD DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT run away to be adventurous training instructors instead of fighting the good fight.

Just saying like. 😉

Dibbs
    Free Member

It should never have been privatised in the first place, but I’m sure its made quite a few Tories very rich.

bigjim

Its sad that the focus is less on energy saving.

Was also interesting to see last week that EDF are trying to charge more for nuclear energy from the new Hinckley nuclear power station than renewable energy costs, was kind of surprised that didn’t come up on here!

scotroutes

I’ve brought it up a few times….

Dibbs
    Free Member

Hinkley not Hinckley 🙄

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Matt has a very valid point.
    It should be about minimising fuel consumption. If we were to do that the energy companies wouldn’t be able to hold us to ransom.

There has been some controversy in the building industry about the latest part l revision not going far enough to improve insulation.

For those of us in older houses there are initiatives such as the Green deal and energy company funding for those on low income or priority groups which gave had a very low take up.

Some of that is down to general apathy to energy saving.

However if you compare the building industry to the great stride made by the car industry in reducing consumption and efficiency, we can see what is possible.

ska-49
    Free Member

Not really sure what everyone is moaning about.. recently moved into a new 2 bed flat and the bills are half what they where in our last two one bed flats! Infact, petrol prices are dropping too, 128.7p here. That’s 10p cheaper than 4 months ago. All in all, I am happy!

Junkyard
    Free Member

Not really sure what everyone is moaning about

Perhaps they have not just moved to a new house that halves their energy bills and are facing rises dues to the increasing price 💡
    Lets see if a picture helps you understand why they are moaning

Flaperon

More than happy to sit back and blame the current government; the previous government, and, of course, us for a problem of our own making.

The previous government for not pulling their finger out and building new nuclear power stations; the current government for (a) doing the same, (b) not subsidising LEDs, and (c) not cracking down on enterprise leaving lights and computers on 24 hours a day.

And the public? Yeah, we can blame ourselves.

* People who look at LED replacements for GU10s and then buy 50W halogens “because they’re cheaper”, lacking the ability to do the simple mathematics that says you make your money back in six months.

* Using tumble driers on warm days.

Jumping in the car to get the paper when the shop is less than a mile a way. Same for dropping the kids off at school.

* Not fitting a programmable thermostat. If there is a thermostat, “turning it up” because they feel cold.

* Sitting with the engine idling in the car.

* Not getting their boiler serviced.

* Using electric heaters all over the house with no appreciation of how much power they use, the fire risk, or night tariffs.

Flaperon

More than happy to sit back and blame the current government; the previous government, and, of course, us for a problem of our own making.

The previous government for not pulling their finger out and building new nuclear power stations; the current government for (a) doing the same, (b) not subsidising LEDs, and (c) not cracking down on enterprise leaving lights and computers on 24 hours a day.

And the public? Yeah, we can blame ourselves.

* People who look at LED replacements for GU10s and then buy 50W halogens “because they’re cheaper”, lacking the ability to do the simple mathematics that says you make your money back in six months.

* Using tumble driers on warm days.

Jumping in the car to get the paper when the shop is less than a mile a way. Same for dropping the kids off at school.

* Not fitting a programmable thermostat. If there is a thermostat, “turning it up” because they feel cold.

* Sitting with the engine idling in the car.

* Not getting their boiler serviced.

* Using electric heaters all over the house with no appreciation of how much power they use, the fire risk, or night tariffs.

trail_rat
    Free Member

are you me flaperon ?

do you also get called “grippet” and “tight” 😉

maths comes into everything 🙂

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Sitting with the engine idling in the car.

Is that really why energy prices are rising faster than both the rate of inflation and incomes ?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 147 total)

The topic ‘These energy price rises…’ is closed to new replies.