Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 183 total)
  • These E Cigarettes in the office??
  • Ferris-Beuller
    Free Member

One of colleagues is a real nicotine addict….we’ve had years of hypnotherapy, those Chinese needles, patches……EVERYTHING conceivably possible and remotely related to giving up smoking!

So, now we have the E-Cigarette. He sucks on this like a crack pipe! Are these legal in the office? I stumbled across some info stating that dues to the metal element that creates the vapour the bi-product are carcinogens that are up to 10x stronger than a continental cigarette. We have a small company so no HR at all to keep up to date with whats allowed and what isnt (in these realms anyway!). Are they OK to use or have they been made illegal to use in a work environment?

trail_rat
    Free Member

banned in total from our offices and going the same route on offshore facilities.

cheap chinese batterys and chargers setting fire to places when left plugged in.

– seems to be more of a hazzard than the steam.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Banned at ours as well staff and customers

Can they not just go to the bog or something?

Cougar

Whilst they’re legal, they’re against company policy indoors at our place at least. Aside from anything else it doesn’t look particularly professional, dragging on a chrome-plated Rampant Rabbit as customers walk past.

Cougar

I stumbled across some info stating that dues to the metal element that creates the vapour the bi-product are carcinogens that are up to 10x stronger than a continental cigarette.

To be fair, you could stumble across some info stating that Argos are giving away £500 gift vouchers to everyone who forwards a Facebook post. Doesn’t mean it’s true (and ofc, doesn’t mean it isn’t either).

There’s two big problems with these things:

1) We’ve not really done enough research so they could be less or more harmful, we just don’t know yet. My understanding is that they don’t have as much nasty stuff in as traditional fags, but the vapour molecules are smaller than smoke and so get deeper in the lungs. Before we know what the long-term effects are we’d, well, need to look at it over a long term.

2) Legislation hasn’t caught up, so they’re legal in the same way that “100% LEGAL HIGHS!!” were for years. The advertisers have cottoned on though; I saw an ad on TV last night which was reminiscent of the old tobacco ads, basically a hot young model blowing smoke vapour at the screen in a suggestive manner. Can’t see them getting away with that for long, could easily have been glamorising smoking but for the voice over / caption showing the brand name.

P-Jay
    Free Member

They’re allowed in our place, but in fairness there’s only a handful of us here and the one smoker/vaper doesn’t work here anymore.

I notice they’re getting very elaborate, his looked like a cross between Dr. who’s screwdriver and a steampunk sex aid.

Conventional thinking says they’re harmless to people around the smoker, but conventional thinking thought DDT, Asbestos and Thalidomide was harmless, I suspect in years to come the true risks will be known.

scotroutes

Just go into the office and let off some stink bombs. After all, they’re not illegal, probably not prohibited in any company rule book and, as far as we know, there are no long term health effects.

duckman

scotroutes – Member

Just go into the office and let off some stink bombs. After all, they’re not illegal, probably not prohibited in any company rule book and, as far as we know, there are no long term health effects

Are you in my S4 life skills class by any chance?

scotroutes

I’ve not got that far

johndoh
    Free Member

Why do people pinch on e-fags rather than hold them in the more conventional between the finger style of normal fags?

Weird.

rene59
    Free Member

Treat them like real cigarettes, they can go outside with the rest of them. If I can’t masturbate in the office, they can’t vape or whatever it’s called.

dirtydog
    Free Member

I’d be far more concerned with the crap we’re forced to breath by the millions of vehicles that inhabit our roads.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I think I’m going to start drinking alcohol free lager in the office. (Or is it…? 😉 )

Cougar

I’d be far more concerned with the crap we’re forced to breath by the millions of vehicles that inhabit our roads.

Yeah, but I’ve yet to see anyone sucking on a Vauxhall Insignia in the office.

MrNice
    Free Member

I think I’m going to start drinking alcohol free lager in the office

we were discussing that at my place. we couldn’t think of an objective reason not to do it (apart from it would feel very wrong) but suspected that someone somewhere would find or create a rule to stop us

D0NK

I suspect in years to come the true risks will be known.

I suspect we’ll find out they are actually dangerous (pretty much everything is), I guess the big question is are they more/less dangerous to the user than fags and are they at all dangerous to everyone else around the user. Which of course no one has a ****ing scooby about currently. I’d be pretty annoyed if someone in my office was regularly using one.

slowoldman

Well I’ve already been told I’m a miserable old git for not celebrating Christmas, having a tree, sending cards, joining in with Secret Santa, so NO to vaping anywhere in my presence.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

johndoh – Member

Why do people pinch on e-fags rather than hold them in the more conventional between the finger style of normal fags?

Weird.

Because the vapour coming out of them looks more like somthing from a bong/crack pipe, therefore they do their best to look cool and edgy.

A bit like the not quite cool kids at school drinking cans of bass shandy and eating those wierd cigaret sweets.

barkm
    Free Member

Because the vapour coming out of them looks more like somthing from a bong/crack pipe, therefore they do their best to look cool and edgy.

A bit like the not quite cool kids at school drinking cans of bass shandy and eating those wierd cigaret sweets.

It’s because they have a small button that you need to press, and that they’re considerably heavier than a normal cigarette.
    But don’t let that stop you hating 🙂

johndoh
    Free Member

Yeah, but I’ve yet to see anyone sucking on a Vauxhall Insignia in the office.

Stifles a giggle

Or kids holding a bottle of Mad Dog 20/20 in that strange underhand clasp as they try to hide it from view…

seosamh77
    Free Member

Sitting here smoking mine just now. 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

wow how cool your addicted to nicotine …SWOONS

seosamh77
    Free Member

Junkyard – lazarus
    wow how cool your addicted to nicotine …SWOONS

You’re! 😉 Much cooler now I’ve that added grammar Nazi-ism to my vices!

grenosteve
    Free Member

I’d be pretty pissed about breathing it in all day at work.

I don’t care if the ill effects are proven or not*, It’s horrible breathing in any second hand smoke/vapour.

(* I do believe the 10X carcinogen thing has been proven for certain brands though)

seosamh77
    Free Member

grenosteve – Member
    I’d be pretty pissed about breathing it in all day at work.

I don’t care if the ill effects are proven or not*, It’s horrible breathing in any second hand smoke/vapour.

(* I do believe the 10X carcinogen thing has been proven for certain brands though)Do you normally get upset at gigs when the smoke machines come on? It’s the same thing.

jon1973
    Free Member

If I can’t masturbate in the office, they can’t vape or whatever it’s called.

You still may get in to trouble if you masturbate in the smoking area

Cougar

Do you normally get upset at gigs when the smoke machines come on? It’s the same thing.

Smoke machines contain nicotine?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

do you normally get upset at gigs when the smoke machines come on? It’s the same thing.

An element of choice, I chose to go to gigs and accept I’ll be breathing in the fumes and my clothes/skin will get a bit sticky if I get to close to them. I’m required to be in the office.

D0NK

Do you normally get upset at gigs when the smoke machines come on? It’s the same thing.

I haven’t noticed smokers standing around the smoke machines huffing it in when they can’t get outside for their nicotine fix so presumably vaping has some additives.

Edit: beaten by 23 seconds!

tomd
    Free Member

They were banned in my old work, no idea about the new place but no one smokes / vapes here so not had to cross that bridge.

I think it was more about appearance and fire risk than anything particularly health related.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator
    Smoke machines contain nicotine?

Can you be sure they don’t?

Do you also have the research on the harmful effects of inhaling nicotine? Nicotine is posonious in hi dosage(more poisonous than arsenic actually), but it’s not harmful in the tiny doses you get in vapour form, neither is propylene gycol or vegetable glycerin. (the later 2 aren’t new substances, they’ve been around and considered safe for consumption for 100 years.)

Pieface

They’re banned at my workplace based on the dodgy chargers thing and also because as of yet the health risks are unknown.

dirtydog
    Free Member

If the e cigs don’t kill you, the terrorists will, best not to go outside.

willard

Don’t forget that you could potentially be allowing malware into your office IT environment as well… These things usually get power from USB, so plugging them into a PC to charge could get your network in trouble.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Vaping is not 10x more carcinogenic than smoking its 90% water vapour a small amount of nicotine and vegtable glycol. Numerous recent studies show its enormously less risky than smoking, much more effective at helping people stop smoking. Quite a few people vape in my office and im not at all bothered by it, in fact some of the flavoured ones smell really nice.
    Why do some peple get so angry about other people’s choices? Theres no more harm in vaping than in cooking a meal. Its water vapour ffs, should we ban the kettle too?

scotroutes

slowoldman

I’d be pretty pissed about breathing it in all day at work

No no no. We did this the other day. You’d be pretty pissed OFF.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Much cooler now I’ve that added grammar Nazi-ism to my vices!

😆

Can you be sure they don’t?

Yes

but it’s not harmful in the tiny doses you get in vapour form

Its still a poison so its still harmful… you started the pedantry 😉

grenosteve
    Free Member

It’s not ideal really, but I’ve probably chosen to go watch a gig and breathe it in for an hour or so. All day at work isn’t on in my book.

(Why does someone always have to try and prove your personal opinion is wrong?)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 183 total)

The topic ‘These E Cigarettes in the office??’ is closed to new replies.