Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • These DX Magicshine P7 "Bastid" lights… A few quick questions…
  • mboy
    Free Member

So, I've seen the Beamshots, know the quality isn't as good as a Lupine or Lumicycle or a Troutelight etc. But they could be just the thing to entice a couple of my cheapskate mates into night riding…

BUT a few quick questions…

The way they mount onto the handlebars, a la Lupine, does it work? Do they ever move? Is it better on a 25.4 or a 31.8 handlebar, or equally fine on both?

I've heard they can get a bit warm in use… Too Warm? Or is it just people getting paranoid. And if they do get warm, would it make a difference running them on ally handlebars to act as a giant heatsink as opposed to a carbon handlebar? Or is the mount plastic and therefore not going to conduct much heat away from the light unit?

The switch on the back of the unit glows I've heard… Is this correct? And does it change colour to indicate battery charge left? And is it distracting having a lit button on the back of the unit whilst riding?

And lastly battery life… It says 3 hours on Max… Is this realistic? And if it is, then why when it uses the same P7 LED as the Airbike SL2 I own already (which has a 3 cell battery), does it use a 4 cell battery for the same runtime? Is it a less efficient driver (more heat produced etc?), or are the cells perhaps a lower capacity?

Sorry for a thread with more questions about this light, I've read loads about it, but didn't find answers to any of the questions I've just asked yet… Don't worry, I don't need beam patterns, or justification of whether or not it's any good or not, primarily I'm searching for friends for whom it's a £50 maximum spend really… And I've got some experience of P7 torches myself. Cheers.

stevehine

Bar mount seems fine to me; I use the small 'O'ring with 25.4 bars; could almost get away with the big one; so suspect it would be fine for 31.8's

They can get a bit warm; I've not noticed a problem; but I tend to run them on the low setting unless I need the high; and it's only really noticable if you are stationary – the mount is plastic; so bar choice won't affect anythng.

Yes the switch glows – mine is green; and goes red when the battery starts to get low; which it's only done once so far – I didn't run it till empty; so can't tell you how long you get from there though – I don't find it distracting at all.

As for 3 hours on max – It's probably not far off; again I've not truly tested it. I rode for ~ 3 hours with a mix of max and mid and the red light came on just as I was finishing. It's a 4-cell pack too. I think trout's orginial article checked the runtime.

Pook

+1 for steve's comments.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘These DX Magicshine P7 "Bastid" lights… A few quick questions…’ is closed to new replies.