Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • These Charge Spoon Saddles…
  • mboy
    Free Member

These Charge Spoon Saddles, do they take some time to break in then? Or do they remain very much the same as new after a lot of use?

I’m asking as just fitted one to my hardtail on Friday, rode for about 4 hours yesterday (by which time my arse was pretty raw), and I’m REALLY feeling it today!. Thing is, to sit on at first, the shape feels nice. It doesn’t get in the way, it’s slim (I hate fat saddles), and it’s easy to move about on. But it does not flex! I’ve got the cromo railed version, not the ti (does the ti flex more), but it’s primarily the lack of flex in the shell of the saddle I think that seemss to be an issue, hence why asking if they “break in”. I’ve ridden plenty of saddles that would’ve had me standing up for the ride after 30 minutes before, so this wasn’t the worst by any stretch, but it would be useful if it does shape to my arse a touch more.

FWIW I’m used to SDG Bel Air ti’s which seem to be nice and flexy from the get go, and pretty comfortable. But thought I’d try something out a bit less wide at the back, so it’s easier to hang your arse off the back of the saddle (I ALWAYS seem to catch my baggies on my Bel Air saddles, they are quite wide at the back!).

Smee
    Free Member

It is a saddle not a seat.

grumm
    Free Member

Dunno about breaking in the saddle but I think you need to get used to any new saddle. I find my spoon pretty comfy, not amazing but fine. I don’t often ride for more than 4 hours though.

joe1983
    Free Member

I thought the same – arse was in tatters after first few rides, now its perfect though.

druidh
    Free Member

I’ve ridden for up to 12 hours over two days with one and never had a problem. That was the cheaper (non-Ti) version.

mboy
    Free Member

Smee – Member

It is a saddle not a seat.

EH? Your point being? 😕

joe1983, what did you use before the Spoon? Thinking the lack of flex in it may mean it’d be better off going on my full sus bike, and returning the Bel Air (which I can seem to sit on for almost an eternity without getting numb!) to my hardtail as it has more inherent flex in it.

druidh – Member

I’ve ridden for up to 12 hours over two days with one and never had a problem. That was the cheaper (non-Ti) version.

Fair enough, but everyone’s arses are different shapes. I’ve got the cromo version too, I thought I’d try it after everyones reccomendations of them on here. Hence asking if they “break in” as it’s not quite as comfortable as I’d have imagined.

joe1983
    Free Member

Before the spoon I used some low rent GT saddle which was a lot more padded and a bit wider

Smee
    Free Member

My point being that if you are getting to the stage where your arse feels like you’ve been shitting pineapples then you are using it as a seat, not a saddle.

Andy

Smee – Member
    My point being that if you are getting to the stage where your arse feels like you’ve been shitting pineapples then you are using it as a seat, not a saddle.

No, still dont get it.

mboy
    Free Member

Smee – Member

Again, EH? WTF?

I’m sorry mate, I really don’t see where you’re going with this. A saddle is for siting on when riding a bike. Roadies will sit down pretty much the entire time, dirt jumpers only when cruising from jump spot to jump spot. I’m riding XC, I get out the saddle for the technical stuff, I sit my arse on the saddle on the flatter stuff. Yesterday’s ride wasn’t exactly technical, and had a couple of road sections too, so yes I was probably in the saddle quite a bit. But you suggesting I need to “get out the saddle more” even for this kind of riding? I know how to ride a bike mate, I know when to get out the saddle and when to sit and spin. And yesterday after 3 hours into the 4 hour or so ride, found myself getting out the saddle WAY more than I would like, just to ease the pressure on my backside!

Smee
    Free Member

“You’ll notice that I do call them “saddles,” not “seats.” There is a reason for this. A “seat” is something you sit on, and is designed to bear essentially your entire weight. Recumbent bicycles have “seats,” but conventional upright bicycles have saddles. A saddle is intended to carry some, but not all of your weight. The rest of your weight is mainly carried by your legs, and some by your hands and arms.” Sheldon Brown.
    Link Here

Andy

mboy same here, new Spoon, two days riding. Day one ar$e really hurt. Day two a little better. Am going to put it on my Sspeed for some shorter rides round here to see if I gets used to me or I get used to it more.

meeeee
    Free Member

stick with it, i put one on the road bike. Was pretty sore the first couple of rides but now i can easily do 80-100 mile rides on it no problem.

Andy

Well done smee, third time lucky to articulate an interesting point. Now I see what you are saying its food for thought. Spoon still **** hurt though 😯

mboy
    Free Member

Smee, referring to Sheldon Brown’s site is all well and good, but the point is I’ve actually been riding a fair bit over the last few months. I know all about the pain you experience in your backside after a layoff the bike for any period, but I’ve actually been doing some riding of late!

Smee
    Free Member

mboy – with the more padded saddle you would probably get away with using it as a seat.

It may be that the angle of it or where it sits on the rails is different. Or the height of the rails could be different too.

mboy
    Free Member

Smee – Member

mboy – with the more padded saddle you would probably get away with using it as a seat.

It may be that the angle of it or where it sits on the rails is different. Or the height of the rails could be different too.

I don’t use it as a seat though, ever! I do sit on a saddle, but weight is always being supported by my arms/hands and my legs/feet too.

Will experiment with fine tuning the saddle angle, to see if this makes any difference at all. The rail height was approx 1/2″ less on the Spoon than on the Bel Air, so I moved the seatpost 1/2″ up in the frame to compensate before hand.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Saddles are very personal items – I wouldn’t worry much if this particular one doesn’t suit you. Keep trying till you find one you like.

dooge
    Free Member

I love the one on my commuter but unfortunately Im not in the saddle more than half an hour at a time. Ive found this and another to be my favourite comfy saddles down to shape. Ive tryed Bel Airs and Spesh Body Geo saddles and I always find the gap designed for ‘relievement’ at the back too wide until I tryed this one.

Ive also got a cheap one off a 2006/7 Carrera Vulcan thats also made by Velo, and has a flexy base and is pretty comfy too.

stugus
    Free Member

I’ve got the cromo one, was pretty good from the out set. With that said the 1st ride was an all day jobbie round afan, I would normally be sore frm that anyway. Subsequent rides have been fine.

I havn’t noticed the saddle (or seat?!?) change.

stugus
    Free Member

I’ve got the cromo one, was pretty good from the out set. With that said the 1st ride was an all day jobbie round afan, I would normally be sore frm that anyway. Subsequent rides have been fine.

I havn’t noticed the saddle (or seat?!?) change.

colnagokid

Normally takes afew rides for your arse to get used to a new “perch” (avoiding saddle/seat argument!)

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I bought one, but didn’t give it enough time I suppose, my arse was in tatters and I found that the crotch of my shorts kept snagging on the ducks arse of the seat. So I went back to what I was happy with and used to. You can resell them for almost original price tho.

vdubber67
    Free Member

Have a Spoon on the road bike, and ride quite a lot of miles on it without padding in the week with no trouble, even from new. Must be down to individual backside shapes I reckon!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘These Charge Spoon Saddles…’ is closed to new replies.