Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • These are MY paths!
  • SaxonRider

Does anyone else feel slightly possessive over their regular commuting routes?

I cross through Pontcanna Fields and Blackweir in Cardiff everyday, and find I get to know many of the other commuters and/or dog walkers. But when the paths get clogged up with fair-weather commuters – that is, people who clearly do not ride bikes very often, or are trying out their feet for the first time in ages, on the sole basis that it is not raining today – I get a little defensive for ‘my turf’.

And now that the university students are back, the same goes for pretty much the whole of Colum Road.

How dare people presume on my own little stretch of pavement?

sharkattack

“Your little piece of…..TURF”

ferrals
    Free Member

Nope, you are a weirdo 😆

Used to spend my entire time surfing, which is pretty aggro and secretive, cycling is a breath of fresh air in comparison, pretty much good vibes from everyone I meet. Let’s keep it that way.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Do they know who you are?
    Have you asked them ‘Do you know who I am’?

wwaswas

Does anyone else feel slightly possessive over their regular commuting routes?

Yep.

I don’t want to run into any strangers on the stairs up to the spare bedroom.

Speshpaul

You’re freaking hardcore dude!

You get to ride your bike on a commute where drivers aren’t trying to kill you.

Enjoy.

davidjey
    Free Member

Blackweir Park? That’s MY PATH. You can clear off.

Taff Trail has been rammo this week, due to the combination of Indian summer and student influx I suppose. At times I’ve been held up behind another cyclist FOR LITERALLY 15 SECONDS before I could pass them. Now I know why the car drivers all get so upset 😈

SaxonRider

Taff Trail has been rammo this week, due to the combination of Indian summer and student influx

So you know what I mean, then…

Dibbs
    Free Member

I saw a bike and about a dozen cars on my 14 mile commute across the Quantocks over the weekend. 😀

The main drawback is leaving home at 05:45hrs. 🙁

davidjey
    Free Member

So you know what I mean, then…

I suppose so, can’t say I get upset by it tho. It was quite nice riding home in the sun yesterday to see so many folks out and about. Dippy students walking seven abreast across the path, oblivious to “ding, ding, ding, ‘scuse me please, SCUSE ME! HEEEELLLLOOOO!” are a bit of a PITA tho…..

Junkyard
    Free Member

kind of make you look forward to winter when you can reclaim them from the fairweather foes

All trails are noticeably busier these days as we continue being the new golf

nickc

It’s not just cyclists, people are out “strolling” in the woods of an evening….How very dare they!! as if they have any right to be there? and if that wasn’t bad enough, some of them had walked further than the permitted 150 yards from the Car park!!

I had a right hufty on, I can tell you…

I blame the weather.

scandal42
    Free Member

Ahhh Warriors, what a film.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

There’s a guy locally to me who also assumes that some of the paths are his, and as such likes to lay logs at jaunty angles on his paths. Bless.

bikebouy
    Free Member

A couple of lines of this each side should do it..

SaxonRider

can’t say I get upset by it tho.

Nor do I, really. Of course I get frustrated, but I don’t take myself very seriously.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I don’t take myself very seriously

Your type have no place here! 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

I don’t use the Taff Trail, it’s too busy!

gwaelod
    Free Member

I come down the Taff Trail to the bridge at Blackweir..its the same every year in September with students..give it to halfway through October and they’ll all be walking on the proper side, at least the tiny minority who by then will be bothering to get up to go to lectures.

keep an eye out for All Blacks doing morning runs up that way at the moment..I wouldn’t like to tell Ritchy McCaw that its your path and he can clear off

SaxonRider

I wouldn’t like to tell Ritchy McCaw that its your path and he can clear off

I’ll let you know how it works out. 😀

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

my worst experience of something similar is with shift work, especially night shifts over a weekend. Driving home Monday morning the roads are rammed with commuters, as I’m bleary-eyed and knackered and trying to get home to bed I usually have a little “yeah, well where the f– were you this time yesterday? IN BED!” rant to myself to get it out of my system. Then when I get home I kick the cat*.

*Not really. I don’t have a cat.

samcheese
    Free Member

I come down the Taff Trail to the bridge at Blackweir..its the same every year in September with students..

The students on the Taff Trail twist my fricking melon. Walking 6 abreast all looking at their bloody phones, resentful that a bicycle might be travelling toward them on a cycle path. Bunch of turnips.

gwaelod
    Free Member

students are ok compared with the dog walkers in Hailey Park….I’ve never been chased by a hairy student intent on savaging my ankle…(then again I never went to Aberystwyth)

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘These are MY paths!’ is closed to new replies.