Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • The latest "DrP makes"… Tubeless inflator…
  • DrP

Taking time out of the kitchen for a bit of garage fettling again!
    OK, so it’s not massively original, and when I initially thought it was an improvement of the ‘9p inflator’ I then realised that others had made very similar, but hey ho – wanted to have a play around with the camera too!!

Pretty easy to make, and as you’ll see in the video it’ll hold a lot of pressure, but still relies on a decent rim/tyre pairing…

The bits you’ll need…

And how it should/shouldn’t work…
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crXzCD2dlg8&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

Oh well, works fine on proper tubeless rim and tyre setups….

DrP

geoffj

Top work fella – like that.
    (and you look soooooo young!)

goodgrief
    Free Member

makes a decent carrot gun if nothing else

Andy

He is 13

DrP

And a half, dad…still waiting for my birthday present….

DrP

Andy

Told you before son you only get your annual “present” when you pass whole numbers, not 1/2s 🙄

scaredypants

pull yer trousers up, lad !
    *tuts*

And no pastry version ? Bah !

/werthers

goodgrief
    Free Member

btw, where does the 15mm endcap get used?

DrP

Yeah, it was going to have a hole drilled in it, and another valve used. But managed to gat a 15-8mm converter, and 8mm pipe instead (so the yellow tube slides over that instead of a valve…)

DrP

althepal

Hmm- would also prob make a good whisky atomiser I reckon!

goodgrief
    Free Member

ah the red herring!

slowmart
    Free Member

NHS cuts are the mother of invention.

I’d love to see your DIY defibrillator 😉

Gary_C

Path/patio needs weeding. 😉

burnie
    Free Member

Mine exploded on Sunday 🙁 It made one hell of a bang!!

scaredypants

I’ve made a few dry ice pop-bottle “devices” in my youth. They do make a noise, don’t they ? 😯
    (set off many a car alarm from up to about 20 metres)

JoeG
    Free Member

Can anyone read his chicken scratch handwriting?

khani
    Free Member

They get trained for years to write like that, it’s not all learning how to cure people all the time, you have to learn write like a pissed up spider that trod in some ink before you actually become a doctor proper…like..

JoeG
    Free Member

Ok, his handwriting is definitely bad enough to be a doctor. ❗

But why would a doctor be such a cheap ass that he:
    – Won’t buy an air compressor, even an Aldi one.
    – Can’t part with the cash for either real tubeless wheels and tires or a proper conversion kit.
    – Doesn’t have a gardener to do his landscaping for him; the dandelion in the lower right must be 12 inches across!

In light of the above, I’m amazed that he spent the dough to buy copper and brass fittings, as well as real Coca-Cola (not some store brand)!

And why does he change shoes at 2:48? ❓

DrP

🙂

It’s a combination of being thrifty, and a keenness for building stuff/finding home solutions!
    Plus… Good spot on the shoe change…!

So, it didn’t work perfectly on this tyre and rim combo, but on tubeless nics they pop up a treat!

DrP

And that’s the herb garden – not a dandelion! (though, you should have seen how out of control the parsley got before we conceided and cut it down!)

ratherbeintobago

DrP

Are you, by any chance, an orthopod?

Andy

DrP

Andy the Gasman,

Nah, I’m a lowly ol’ GP 😉
    (I had a strong interest in surgery/bone meccano, but felt ‘restricted’ in my ability to tinker….!)

DrP

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

So, it didn’t work perfectly on this tyre and rim combo, but on tubeless nics they pop up a treat!

you still got the valve core in the bmx tube’s valve?

DezB
    Free Member

How glad am I my wheels/tyres are proper UST!

🙂

stuey
    Free Member

cool show and tell.
    – 120psi can pop a pop bottle – I’d wrap a few layers of gaffa tape around to prevent ‘BANG bleedly stuff’ 🙂

dantsw13

I’ve just invested in a 5l garden sprayer reccommended on a thread a few weeks back, and may try it out today!! My plan is also for it to double as a portable bike washer.

wwaswas

that’s what I thought, stuey.

I expected he’d be picking bits of coke bottle and copper tube out of his ears before the end.

DrP

The bottle held nicely to 140psi….
    I’m reliably informed 200psi isn’t too much hassle for them either (auto garage + air line + car tyre valves….)

DrP

dantsw13

And the garden sprayer model works too!! I cut a 5 inch length of hose from my track pump, and that fits snugly onto a Presta valve!!
    Pics to follow

I feel fairly safe too – as it has a safety overpressure valve. T

he 5l vessel has plenty of volume, giving plenty of flow rate through a Presta valve with the core removed.

dantsw13

[/url] My tubeless compressor!! by danthomassw13, on Flickr[/img]

ahwiles
    Free Member

120psi…

140…

200…

holy sh** balls! – what are you people doing?!

mine works like a charm, every time, at only 40psi.

compressed air is dangerous, proceed with caution 🙂

footflaps

+1

he comes across as quite mature until you see him in the flesh…

😉

Good effort though with the carrot gun!

jimmy

120psi can pop a pop bottle – I’d wrap a few layers of gaffa tape around to prevent ‘BANG bleedly stuff’

this. made me nervous watching…

(was soundless at work, but I like the face at 2:30)

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I managed to blow a hole in the wooden fence and my leg with just 60psi and a 2m length of 4″ drain pipe when working on my prototype water cannon for last years BBB.

Compressed air isn’t dangerous, it is rapidly decompressing air and what previously was containing it that is dangerous.

stuey
    Free Member

Ahrg – WCA prototype wooden-leg-harpoon cannon.

footflaps

I managed to blow a hole in the wooden fence and my leg

Photos please…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

+1 for compressed air being dangerous, read something about testing a flare header on a new refinery, only to about 3psi, but this was big enough to walk through with someone on your shoulders and about a mile long. It’s not the pressure that’s dangerous it’s the ammount of energy stored (hence a CO2 canister with 16g of CO2 is safe depsite being much higher pressure (~2000psi) than say an air compressor with 25l at 100psi). 2l at 200psi is a lot of stored energy.

And on that note, if you’ve got an air compressor, always remember to drain the cylinder of water when you’ve finished to stop it rusting.

footflaps

always remember to drain the cylinder of water when you’ve finished to stop it rusting.

Never thought about that…..

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Never thought about that…..

Well now you have.

Another geeky.interesting point about compressed air lines and maintenance:
    On plants it’s common for compressed air lines where there maybe water present to be rotated every few years as the water runs down the bottom of the pipe and they corrode into a keyhole shape, so the lifetime can be extended by just replacing the bends and rotating the pipes one set of bolt holes at the flange (i.e. 4 bolts 90deg, 6 bolts 60deg etc).

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘The latest "DrP makes"… Tubeless inflator…’ is closed to new replies.