• This topic has 22 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by b17.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Thermostatic radiator valves – WTF do the numbers mean???!
  • ooOOoo
    Free Member

The valves on our radiators can be set from 0-5. What does this relate to?

I found one link that says 3= around 20°C….4= around 22°C

But can anyone confirm this?

wwaswas

they're just to give you a comparison/scale for adjustment.

set it to '3' initially, then if the room's too hot turn it to '2' if it it's too cold then '4'.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

It will vary from TRV to TRV – 0 is off, 5 is fully open. Just set them to a comfortable temperature for each room…

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Arrrggghh!!
    I need numbers!

I'm the eco rep now and keeping everyone happy is a complete ballache.

We have a boiler on a timer, that only has a control from 1-4. The radiators go from 0-5.

So how the hell do I keep the building around 23°C in the most efficient way?!

sturmey
    Free Member

Tippex the number 5 out sorted topic closed.

nbt

set everything to the middle. if it's too cold or too hot everywhere, adjust the settings on the boiler. If it's too cold or hot in different areas, use the local controls. As said above, the numbers are just relative, not absolute.

wwaswas

"how the hell do I keep the building around 23°C in the most efficient way"

put a thermometer in each room on a coldish day with the heating on and find a radiator settign for that room that gives the required temp.

repeat for each room.

or just get some small labels made up with 17,19,21,23 and 25 printed on and stick over the numbers on the trv's.

If you get any complaints say 'look the radiator's is set to '23' so it's got to be right.

gonefishin
    Free Member

Intalling a good air conditioning system would probably be you best bet, other than that trial and error.

brant
    Free Member

Good job they don't go up to 11.

miketually
    Free Member

Good job they don't go up to 11.

I want to keep our house a bit cooler. Should I get some TRVs that only go up to 4?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Doesn't matter what you set them to – someone who does not understand thermostats will turn it either to 0 or 5 as soon as you turn your back.

23 is too hot anyway – if you want to be eco 18 is the magic number

sockpuppet

23 degrees?

sauna!

wwaswas

if you want to be warm 23 is a good number…

ransos
    Free Member

The ones I fitted in my house are temperature calibrated – number three is 19-21 degrees. That said, you'll get better control from a proper electronic thermostat.

miketually
    Free Member

23 is too hot anyway – if you want to be eco 18 is the magic number

I did think 23 was very warm. We have the main thermostat at home set to 19.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I want to keep our house a bit cooler. Should I get some TRVs that only go up to 4?

😆

theotherjonv

do what my wife does when I'm not looking. Set the main thermostat to 25. Set the radiator valves to 5. Adjust temperature by opening and closing windows as necessary.

BigDummy
    Free Member

My wife has never mastered the operation of either the boiler, the thermostat or the radiator valves. But I have bought her a jumper and some slippers. 🙂

ooOOoo
    Free Member

As much confusion in here as in my company!

ooOOoo
    Free Member

And you know you won't get a clear answer when googling the question brings up this thread as the no 7 answer! 😈

coffeeking
    Free Member

Indeed 23 is rather warm. However most thermometers seem to be +-2 degrees anyway, and the hysteresis in most mechanical stats is at least a degree. Personally at home I find 19 a bit too chilly for sitting around, but at work it's ok as I keep moving, unless typing only – then 20 is needed or my wrists get chilly.

Of course one answer would be to calibrate one of the TRVs to find out exactly what temp each number corresponds to, but dont expect it to be thesame when you stick it next to a radiator and pipework! There's a reason they dont put temps on them, its because they can't tell you what temp it'll be!

ooOOoo
    Free Member

The head of the TRV has a sensor which responds to the air temperature around it. When the sensor expands on warming it pushes against a pin which closes the valve.

0 – shut off
    * – 7c
    1- 11-13c
    2- 15-17c
    3- 19-21c
    4- 23-25c
    5- 27-29c

b17
    Free Member

so in other words you're no closer to getting exactly 23!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Thermostatic radiator valves – WTF do the numbers mean???!’ is closed to new replies.