Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • There's a rat in the kitchen what am I gonna do?
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Well it could be if I left the kitchen door open but up to now it’s in the garden, munching on fallen bird seed that the pigeons don’t get.
    To kill or not to kill? That is the question.

& indeed, how to kill? 1st option is the ancient but trusty old Airsporter, in which I put a new & stronger spring in about 20 years ago & have never had it on a chronograph (& can only hope it’s under 12ft/lbs).
    2nd option is a trap of either humane or none humane variety.
    I’m edging for option 1 but I’d have to lie in wait & ‘snipe’ the little (large actually) git.

What’s the general consensus?

beefheart
    Free Member

Hoof it in the slats.

v8ninety

Nuke it from orbit…

bikebouy
    Free Member

Sure it’s a rat ?

Kill it dead.

Plenty of nasties they carry..

I had two in my shed, bought a rat killer feed thing from BnQ and dead within a few days.

Shudders.

somafunk

Borrow a Jack Russell, nothing makes toby happier than digging out and chasing rats on a mates farm,

FB-ATB

Wrap it in a jumper and put it in the washing machine.

mattyfez

If your in West Yorkshire I could bring my puppy around, he’s a Yorkie/shitzhu and will eat literally anything, if it tries to run away, that increases his appetite.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I could easily borrow Bella, my mates old JR but Ratty McRatface is coming & going through a small hole in the fence, close to the food source, so a dog wouldn’t be able to nab it. I know the garden needs digging over but I don’t want a dog doing it!

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Live and let live 🙂

But if it starts causing a nuisance then feel free to remove, humane trap then dump in the river…

core

The gun.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Toby looks hard as ****. Likes.

SaxonRider

Air rifle.

“Live and let live”? Whatever.

Shudders.

mattyfez

Have you considered fixing the hole in the fence? Crazy, I know.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

In the kitchen? Bleach everything in the kitchen. Traps down, kick boards out and check behind etc.

Assuming you didn’t actually invite it in through the door you need rid of it and you need rid of how it got in (doesn’t need a big gap, about a 10p peice for a rat if i remember rightly). Where there is one there are more.

Ooh and stop feeding the birds rats.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Not the gun. If you can’t guarantee a clean shot don’t take it, even vermin deserves a humane death. Besides, 12fpe is overkill for ratting, a close range gun should be in the 8-10fpe range as you have to consider where the pellet goes afterwards. I’ve even seen people use pistols with shoulder stocks (6fpe).

Also, do yourself a favour and make sure its legal, a chrono costs less than a firearms offence. Find out if someone local has one you can send few pellets through, if it’s hot then its no harder than taking the spring out to keep it legal.

Lastly rats are a bugger. My folk got some, they were happy enough with mice in the garden but rats were another league. Burrows everywhere. Poison sorted them out but be aware if there is something worth having they could well come back. It was the bird feed they were after in our case as well (plus chickens didn’t help).

Oh, another thing, they can’t see in red light. I’d be taking full advantage of that fact to track them, they are creatures of habit.

Davesport

Petrol and matches! Surprised it’s not been suggested already 😀

matt_outandabout

Aye, Toby looks like a doggy you don’t mess with..unless it’s for cuddles.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Borrow a Jack Russell, nothing makes toby happier than digging out and chasing rats on a mates farm,

This ^.

It’s over in a split second.

darrell
    Free Member

nuke from space

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

humane trap then dump in the river…

Drowning is ‘humane’?

Isn’t the big spring trap better?

squirrelking
    Free Member

I presume (hope) he meant dump it out the trap and into the river. They are very good swimmers so it will be fine.

spectraken
    Free Member

Put down a glue trap and bait. Inhumane but effective.

lazlowoodbine
    Free Member

Borrow a Jack Russell

Or shake your head slowly at your German Shepherd as he watches a rat come out the kitchen, saunter up the hall, take food out of his bowl not two feet away then sidle back under the dishwasher again.

I caught the rat the next day with a mixing bowl, he went to “live on a farm”.

I’ve got a cat as well, equally useless..

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

I presume (hope) he meant dump it out the trap and into the river. They are very good swimmers so it will be fine.

Yep, that’s what I meant – I’d rather try and “re-home” rather than destroy if it all possible.

porter_jamie

i had one. trapped it and beat it to death with a tz250 clip on.

Poopscoop

Kill it in the face with fire?

dazh

Open the door and let it back out?

shuhockey
    Free Member

Shovel, whack!

nick1962
    Free Member

I’ve got news for you rats are not solitary hermits and they like to live in compost heaps with their pals.
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX_h5_HluuQ[/video]

Poopscoop

You ok with spiders?…

ferrals
    Free Member
    Phil_H

Snap trap,bait it with peanut butter and bacon. Place it next to a wall.
    Rats stink.
    Kill ’em before they breed.

TheDTs
    Free Member

How many of the dogs did he get with the pitch fork?

We had an issue at work.
    Advice from Rentokil
    Remove any source of food.
    Remove any free standing water if you can (It was summer)
    Poison traps and snap traps.
    Block all holes, and I mean small holes.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Have you considered fixing the hole in the fence? Crazy, I know.

Have you seen the fence? It’s more like a net.
    Also, have you considered the fact that even if I fixed the fence, ratty can climb over?

If I take a shot It’ll be from the conservatory window (or the book suppository) range will be a massive 10-12 yards.

Mrs Egf keeps opening the kitchen door & shouts ‘bugger off’, which it does for 10 mins then comes back.

Poopscoop

Mrs Egf keeps opening the kitchen door & shouts ‘bugger off’, which it does for 10 mins then comes back.

Better behaved than many dogs.

Take it in and give it a name?

Gavin,I like Gavin.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Or shake your head slowly at your German Shepherd as he watches a rat come out the kitchen, saunter up the hall, take food out of his bowl not two feet away then sidle back under the dishwasher again.

I have that face in my head. The ears pricked up and look of curious bemusement. I bet it even looked up at you with a look of “what should I do?”.

For such intelligent dogs they can be incredibly thick when it suits them.

breninbeener

@porter_jamie…..what a fab life you have! TZ spares littering everywhere 🙂 i am jealous. Wish i still had my RS 🙁

mariner
    Free Member

Lay a wellie boot down against the wall then get broom and drive the rat round the room and into wellie boot.
    Grab top of wellie and close the opening then shake out of the bedroom window.
    A well practised drill at 03.00 am when a cat brings one in.

lazlowoodbine
    Free Member

For such intelligent dogs they can be incredibly thick when it suits them.

He can look pretty thick too..

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘There's a rat in the kitchen what am I gonna do?’ is closed to new replies.