Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • There's a lot of Lance Armstrong books in the local charity shops.
  • Doing the rounds of the book shelves in all the local charity shops the other day, like yer do, I couldn’t help noticing quite a few Lance Armstrong books for sale.
    Strangely, there didn’t seem to be any Jimmy Saville books.

Presumably, the little old ladies who run these shops have read the headlines and dumped any donated JS books straight in the bin, but don’t know about the alleged incidents involving LA.

BristolPablo
    Free Member

really? one is accused of sexual behaviour with underage girls and the other took drugs to win a bicycle race! its not really the same thing is it?!….

AlasdairMc

Were they in the fiction section?

soobalias
    Free Member

have to say im more inclined to thumb a few pages of LAs book now

and as i will be donating to charity, why not eh?

butcher

I picked up a copy of It’s Not About the Bike in a charity shop the other week. It was sat alongside one of his other biographies. Then I returned a couple of weeks later and they had another copy in!

It’s a very good read as it happens.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

have to say im more inclined to thumb a few pages of LAs book now

I agree. Certainly puts a different slant on all his books and makes for far more interesting reading. I’ve been re-reading a couple that I’ve got.

its not really the same thing is it?!….

Which is sort of the point.
    Some cyclists have made comparisons, but to the average charity shop worker, there is no similarity.

While I was there I picked up a copy of Graeme Obree’s biography, “Flying Scotsman”.
    One of the best books I have ever read. The way he describes everything from attempted suicide to winning world records in a “This is what I did, this is what happened” matter of fact, yet very readable, way is incredible.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

“Flying Scotsman”.
    One of the best books I have ever read.

I read Obree just after Armstrong – chalk and cheese. Obree’s honesty and openness in dealing with his demons was astounding. By comparison, Armstrong was pretty dull reading

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Obree’s book is fantastic, the kindle edition was 99p over Christmas. Definitely reccomended reading.

butcher

I think the kindle edition might still be 99p. I just bought it a few days ago. Haven’t read it yet.

wonnyj
    Free Member

Yes I went into my local library last night to find David Miller’s book and the cycling shelf was full of LA and not much else. Presumably all the reality stuff was on loan.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

While I was there I picked up a copy of Graeme Obree’s biography, “Flying Scotsman”.
    One of the best books I have ever read. The way he describes everything from attempted suicide to winning world records in a “This is what I did, this is what happened” matter of fact, yet very readable, way is incredible.

Read it a few years ago. I found it hard to read to be honest. You could pick out the chapters he’d written whilst the black dog was with him. Insightful in that respect but still found it hard to read.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

i thought your point was that cycling/LA fans were dumping their LA books into charity shops in disgust…

hora
    Free Member

My two large glossy LA books still sit inbetween Jackie Stewarts and TRIBE

hounslow
    Free Member

Was in Action Bikes this morning, all LA books were heavily discounted, apparently can’t give the away.

grantway
    Free Member

All to help the OAP’s to burn for there Winter fuel allowance.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

A hahahahaa 🙂

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘There's a lot of Lance Armstrong books in the local charity shops.’ is closed to new replies.