Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • There was a fracas today, but why am i so upset?
  • Kryton57

On the train back from a theatre and three late teenage blokes start some chat-up banter with two girls. Suddenly, one of the girls starts effing and bliding at the top of her voice, telling one of them to go **** himself, prompting a hard stare and a “hey” from me as I covered my kids ears.

A few stops later, a guy obviously a friend of theirs gets on the train. She relays a storey, he points and one of the three and it all kicks off. Its starts getting fisty with the three shuffling roughly and aggressively past us. Mrs K scoops up the kids and moves them out of there, with me standing in the aisle between them and three idiots while they scream at the “friend”. When the argy bargy suddenly pushes me back I instinctively lean into them to stop then stumbling into the kids and shout “Hey, theres children here” to no effect whatsover, I look back, see Mrs K swiftly exiting to the next carriage and follow her. We arrived at the next stop and the three plonkas run off, we calm down our kids and head home with no further incident

So it was a short semi violent moment and no harm was do to us aprt from 2 crying kids but I’m raging and can’t calm down (no drink btw). Not sure why – is it the threat to my kids ive been expoosed to, something else? I have the never ending voice that says “why is life like this”…

😐

Jamie
    Free Member

Maybe knock the coffee on the head, and have a nice peppermint tea.

….and breathe.

Just remember, that on the whole, there are more decent people in the world than dickheads. It’s just we remember the latter more.

tiggs121
    Free Member

Natural reaction I’d say. Your kids were in danger and you’re angry that this should happen.
    If you were on your own you’d have a different view. You may even have had a chuckle about it!

There are some horrible people out there and no-one want their children exposed to that.

You are right to be angry.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Understandable, you’re just worried about your girls. I’ve been in a couple of similar situations, and I’ve really wanted to leather the offending idiot, but I’d hate my lass to think her dads a dick or fists are how to respond.

Chill mate, you (and Mrs K) did the right thing. The world is full of dicks, but as much as want to protect our kids, it’s just as important that they see this kind of shit, and learn from it.

Tiger6791

Adrenaline (not the watered down extreme sports version, the good stuff)

Your brain got body got ready for a proper scrap

Takes some coming down from

binners

The world is full of idiots! Chalk it down to experience and think how nice it is to live somewhere where that kind of shit isn’t just a daily fact of life. And there are plenty of them

bikebouy
    Free Member

Jamie – Member
    Maybe knock the gels on the head, and have a nice pint of Guinness.

….and eat crisps.

Just remember, that on the whole, there are more tossbags in the world than nice people. It’s just we remember the tossbags more.

Does that help?

Nah, but in situations like this you have to protect your loved ones and natural reactions are humans best saviours, you did your bit, glow in the glory that you and your wife protected your family as best you can and realise that if it’s needed again, you have it in reserve.

theotherjonv

Yes, you did the right thing. Ignoring it sadly is the easier option, but I’ve said a few times we have to challenge this sort of behaviour because it isn’t acceptable. There is a risk, of course, and we aren’t comfortable doing it in the most part, but it needs doing.

I’d also consider calling it in to the BTP. Heaven forbid there’s a kid that’s been assaulted somewhere but I’d rather make a report of unsavoury behaviour that ends up ‘in a file’ than something happens and the people get away with it for lack of witnesses.

http://www.btp.police.uk/advice_and_info/faqs.aspx

Jamie
    Free Member

Does that help?

I genuinely have no idea.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Eating crisps ALWAYS helps….preferably Monster Munch,pickled onion.

badnewz
    Free Member

I think you are entitled to be upset, especially as kids were present.

I was recently on a bus in Hungary, two teenage kids at the back started messing around and throwing things. The bus driver stopped the bus, went to the back, and gave them both a slap, and they actually apologised.

The rest of the bus started applauding.

Too many excuses are made in England for appalling anti-social behaviour.

binners

Monster munch make everything better. Buy this t shirt, look on it as a philosophy, and spread the gospel…

eddie11
    Free Member

primeval fight or flight innit.

you ‘fought’. as above its real adrenaline. you’ll be buzzing for hours. You’ve been a good hunter gatherer. drink some beer.

nick1962
    Free Member

garage-dweller

Binners monster munch are not crisps…

They’re better than that.

Op I’d have done the same as I think would mrs gd

That feeling you’ve got is I’m sure at least in part the adrenaline.

jimjam
    Free Member

Kryton57 – Member

When the argy bargy suddenly pushes me back I instinctively lean into them to stop then stumbling into the kids and shout “Hey, theres children here” to no effect whatsover,

So it was a short semi violent moment and no harm was do to us aprt from 2 crying kids but I’m raging and can’t calm down (no drink btw). Not sure why – is it the threat to my kids ive been expoosed to, something else?

but why am i so upset?

Sounds like you almost came close to a potentially violent physical confrontation but in all likelihood you wouldn’t have known what to do in such a situation so you experienced a heady mixture of adrenaline, fear and confusion.

shifter
    Free Member

On the train

[quote]no drink btw[/quote]
    I don’t understand.

Bregante

I’d say your feelings were pretty normal to be honest. I’ve been a cop for over 20 years and it’s fair to say that in that time I’ve been in my fair share of confrontational situations. When I’m at work I’m at work and training kicks in.

I’ve also been unwillingly involved in stuff when I’ve been off work with my family and on one occasion I had two headcases trying to drag me out of my car in a parking dispute. My kids were in the back and I didn’t deal with that at all well.

Don’t beat yourself up about it.

wiggles
    Free Member

Its a natural reaction.

I had similar a few weeks ago, kids being noisy outside my house so the mrs asked them to move away as our kids are trying to sleep as soon as she came in I heard them shouting abuse at her so I went out there and told them to **** off, they starting coming up to me saying “what you gonna do” and all that usual crap.

I just told them Im a grown man Im not going to hit a little kid (they were about 15) they kept trying to antagonise me and told me to go inside if I wasnt going to fight them, I (probably stupidly) wouldnt back down and just held my ground and forced them to leave.

I was so wound up I was shaking for hours

pirahna
    Free Member

Take up MMA, next time it happens you can drop the lot of them. 😀

Jamie
    Free Member

Or at least think you can.

Drac

Have you ever been to the zoo?

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

@wiggles you should have decided to use a hose on your front garden. 😉

xora

So it was a short semi violent moment and no harm was do to us aprt from 2 crying kids but I’m raging and can’t calm down (no drink btw). Not sure why

You enganged your fight reflex rather than flight, it takes a while for the adrenalin surge to leave the system. All perfectly normal!

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Bollocks smack em – instant controlled violence (self defence)

teasel
    Free Member

Bollocks smack em

Is that him smacking them in the balls or getting out his own a slapping them about the place with the now exposed goolies…?

project
    Free Member

You handled it well, didnt get aggressive or confrontational, but report it to BTP, they take these things seriously and all trains have internal recording cctv as do railway stations.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘There was a fracas today, but why am i so upset?’ is closed to new replies.