Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Therapists who work on a 'sliding scale'
  • SaxonRider

In Canada, many psychotherapists/counsellors worked on what was called a ‘sliding scale’ – that is, if you were rich, they charged you the full amount, and if you were dirt poor, they charged you nothing. And charges could range anywhere in between.

Is there such a thing here in the UK? Does anyone know a psychotherapist or counsellor who charges on such a basis?

I’ve got a friend whose SO I am trying to get counselling for, but they have no money whatsoever. The SO, however, really needs the help.

So any suggestions you can make will be gratefully received.

spud-face

The Lighthouse charity in Coventry were helpful to me a couple of years ago and work on a “donate what you can” basis. Didn’t matter that I’m not religious. Maybe there’s something similar near you

larrydavid
    Free Member

I know of at least two ‘issue based’ (e.g. miscarriage) charities who offer free counseling with a request that if you can you donate. And another who have a waiting list for free or you can pay if you can afford it.

If they have a specific issue see if you can find a local charity?

user-removed
    Free Member

If s/he goes through her GP it’s free for most places in the UK so far as I know. I had a dozen sessions which cost nothing with a therapist who seemed to know her beans. In fact, the GP told me I could have just self-referred which might have saved some time but when the referral comes through a GP, I suspect it carries a bit more weight.

SaxonRider

That’s really helpful. Thanks.

@user-removed: Do you mean self-referred to an NHS counsellor? Or does NHS contribute to private counselling when on the recommendation of a GP?

bensales
    Free Member

NHS will pay wholly for a counsellor if that’s the treatment required. See GP for referral. May take a while though.

Also contact Mind (https://www.mind.org.uk) for additional advice.

vickypea
    Free Member

You can get counselling/talking therapies free on the NHS. In many areas it’s through IAPT (Improved Acess To Psychological Therapies) which GPs can refer patients to. In my area (and some other areas), IAPT was replaced by an external group and it’s now called Talking Therapies. Patients can self-refer or get their GP to refer them to Talking Therapies. You should be able to find out on the internet what kind of psychological therapy is provided by the NHS in a specific area of the country.

vickypea
    Free Member

Just to add: the length of the waiting list on the NHS varies around the country. I’ve just started counselling after a 30-week wait (and I had severe depression when they agreed to put me on the list)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Therapists who work on a 'sliding scale'’ is closed to new replies.