• This topic has 39 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by P-Jay.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Therapists Lives Matter – another shooting in US
  • GrahamS

Another distinctly dodgy police shooting in the US.

North Miami officer on paid leave after shooting unarmed black man

In summary, a (black) therapist, who had been attempting to calm an autistic patient, is on the ground with his hands very clearly in the air, explaining the situation to Miami police, when they shoot him in the leg. 😯

Then once they have detained and searched him they apparently leave him cuffed and bleeding, face down on the ground for 20 minutes before an ambulance shows up.

Northwind

He says he’s the rapist! Shoot him!

Seriously though, no part of that makes any sense. The whole initial scene is bizarre even before the guy gets shot. After that you do get into unproven/unvideo’d events but the “shoot someone then don’t treat them” thing recurs…

Don’t think I’d be that calm if someone shot me tbh!

jambalaya
    Free Member

Another appalling shooting. We live in crazy times.

What I would say is that I would not be a Police Officer in the US.

loddrik
    Free Member

I don’t get why US police don’t taze first, then shoot as a last resort. Especially if there is more than one cop, second cop can have gun drawn in case taze isn’t sufficient.

cranberry
    Free Member

‘Sir, why did you shoot me?’ and his words to me, he said, ‘I don’t know.’”

Well, that is honest.

fasthaggis

Kinsey said. “It was like a mosquito bite, and when it hit me, I’m like, ‘I still got my hands in the air, and I said, ‘No I just got shot! And I’m saying, ‘Sir, why did you shoot me?’ and his words to me, he said, ‘I don’t know.’”

😯

jambalaya
    Free Member

Q Why did he shoot.
    A Because he made a poor decision

Northwind

“Just because”, like tattoo guy, would have been a great answer…

DrJ

What I would say is that I would not be black in the US.

slowoldman

What I would say is that I would not be black in the US.

What I would say is that I would not be in the US.

stewartc
    Free Member

Its obvious that with both hands in the air he is trying to summon satan, which those who have received police training will know black people can do, the cops had no choice but to shoot first or end up being cast into the pits of hell.

🙂

P-Jay
    Free Member

loddrik – Member

I don’t get why US police don’t taze first, then shoot as a last resort. Especially if there is more than one cop, second cop can have gun drawn in case taze isn’t sufficient.

Because they’re too risk adverse, a lot of US Police have mentally completely dehumanised ‘suspects’ or ‘bad guys’ (they actually use that phrase a lot in the US). if there’s a 1% chase a suspect could hurt them, they feel justified in shooting them, usually multiple times ensuring an almost 100% chance of killing the suspect and once they do they don’t give a shit about them, as in this case the suspect is cuffed to remove the threat then as far as they’re concerned it’s on to the paperwork or calling their union to get some lawyers down asap, not to help the person bleeding to death. Tazing doesn’t offer a 100% chance of subduing the suspect, they prefer bullets.

Another problem with tazing people is that their is often a mob mentality with US Police, they don’t feel the need to personally justify shooting someone if one of their colleagues fires, which includes tazers, there was another video recently when someone with a knife was stood pretty calmly with about 10 Police around him, one of the police decide to taze him to disarm him, as the tazer is fired the rest shoot him with Assault rifles, not because they thought he was a threat, but because someone else fired at him they assumed justification was seen elsewhere.

RustySpanner

It’s not that bizarre Northwind.

People get distressed and wander away from their home, or become distressed whilst being supported whilst out and about.
    Best course of action is often just to sit down with them and talk.
    No need to restrain anyone unless they’re a potential risk to themselves or others.

Does look odd to an outsider if you’re sat down with someone in the aisle in Tesco, holding their hand, or do have to restrain them in public.

Have been in a few situations where the police have been called because the public think someone is being assaulted or abducted, when in fact they are being supported.
    Always had the full support of the police and no one has been shot yet.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

“I said sir why did you shoot me?”

He said “because I’m a stupid person. With a gun. Who is stupid.”

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

Loodrick

I don’t get why US police don’t taze first, then shoot as a last resort.

Even when they taze people they end up killing them case of Chase Sherman in Georgia lat November

zippykona

What would happen if one of our soldiers shot someone with their hands up and no weapon?
    What will happen to this cop?

Northwind

Rusty Spanner – Member

It’s not that bizarre Northwind.

People get distressed and wander away from their home, or become distressed whilst being supported whilst out and about.
    Best course of action is often just to sit down with them and talk.
    No need to restrain anyone unless they’re a potential risk to themselves or others.

Ah, that’s not what I meant at all- should have been clearer. I mean the situation where the police arrive and guns are drawn but the dude’s left lying there with his arms up calmly explaining while his client plays with his toy, it’s like a standoff except only the police are standing off. The response/situation management’s all wrong even without the shooting. It’s not just a momentary mistake or a slipped trigger, it’s a protracted wrong response in a situation that should have been completely under control.

Something people say quite often about this sort of thing… If you’re a UK beat officer, you get trained in situation management and de-escalation, and you get properly trained how to subdue and restrain a suspect with minimal force. In at least some states, that’s apparently not the case- they get trained for the worst possible situation (which of course they must be) but that’s the tool they end up using day to day. And that naturally means situations are escalated and mismanaged, guns are brought out where there’s no need… And people get shot at traffic stops, or like with Alton Sterling an attempt to make an arrest gets bungled and panicking officers end up resorting to shooting the suspect.

jambalaya
    Free Member

It was the other guy they where worried about as he wasn’t responding to instructions. Quite why they shot the guy on the ground “instead” I have no idea. Perhaps the policeman is a terrible shot ?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

American policemen are notoriously bad shots. It costs money to train, ammo is pretty expensive and nearly every US copper is armed – so standards drop.

Then there is the fact that a lot of them are psychologically the types of people who are not capable of dealing with actual risk with a level head like professional soldiers and can’t really be arsed with the job/clock watch.

GrahamS

It was the other guy they where worried about as he wasn’t responding to instructions.

The autistic guy, sat down, playing with a toy truck?

He didn’t look like an immediate threat to public safety in the video!

poah
    Free Member

poor aim?

GrahamS

Well apparently the officer fired three shots from his assault rifle. If he/she is one of the cops in the video then they looked like they were pretty close range too.

They haven’t said who the officer was shooting at.

Can’t say the notion that they were shooting at an unarmed autistic guy and missed makes me any more comfortable!

aracer
    Free Member

There are at least 3 things in that sentence which make me uncomfortable!

GrahamS

Is one of them my terrible grammar? 😉

outofbreath
    Free Member

If it was an assault rifle could it be unintentional discharge? Does it fire bursts of three?

The autistic guy could have appeared to be on drugs and might have made a sudden move, I suppose, but he wasn’t the one who got shot.

crankboy
    Free Member

What is really odd is that a few years ago the american police were being touted as the exemplar of armed response and ending stand offs with out fatality their SWAT teams were regularly deployed and would put a ring of containment around a suspect and move it as the suspect moved to keep him isolated in the centre they would wear him down with negotiation and only confront when absolutely necessary using shields and bean bags as first resort , This contrasted with the UK challenge intervene and shoot to kill .

The old American way clearly wass expensive and inconvenient and requires a lot of training it seems to have gone by the wayside .

Northwind

outofbreath – Member

The autistic guy could have appeared to be on drugs and might have made a sudden move

But since they’d been advised by his therapist that he was autistic and unarmed, they had no reason to think he was on drugs, and sudden movements should not have been considered a threat.

It is interesting though because, as above, we don’t actually know which one they were trying to shoot. 3 shots were fired, 2 or 3 missed. It’s going to be a “black lives matter” thing but it might actually have much less to do with race, they could have been wrongfully shooting a person with a development disorder for no reason instead. Course, even that could well come back to race, since it’s entirely likely that they would have listened to a white dude rather than disregarding him…

So we don;t know exactly what sort of ****witted it was, we just know it was ****witted.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Crankboy, American policing varies by county let alone state. They still have SWAT teams, they still operate like that – it’s beat coppers that are responsible for most of these kinds of shootings. SWAT teams aren’t called out to everything.

jbrom
    Free Member

The only person who needs shooting in this situation is the person recording the mobile phone footage in portrait!

crankboy
    Free Member

Tom I know the interesting thing is that they have gone from rolling out and developing best practice to **** it any hic with a gun will do . Plus an atmosphere where leathal response is unchallenged and without sanction .

DrJ

Well, at least they didn’t blow him up with a bomb on a robot.

DrJ

What will happen to this cop?

Hmm … lemme guess … err … nothing at all?

ScottChegg
    Free Member

What I would say is that I would not be a Police Officer in the US

I wouldn’t like to be black in the US.

You’re on the wrong end of the gun.

pictonroad

I believe the original 911 call was for a person at risk of committing suicide with a firearm. Seems incredible to me that they could t risk assess the situation based on the mistaken info given.

Another tragedy.

oldnpastit

Don’t worry. Trump will sort it out.

GrahamS

Yep, apparently “safety will be restored” on 20th January 2017.

Which is nice.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/rosiegray/donald-trump-accepts-the-gop-nomination-with-a-very-differen

Northwind

pictonroad – Member

I believe the original 911 call was for a person at risk of committing suicide with a firearm. Seems incredible to me that they could t risk assess the situation based on the mistaken info given.

It wouldn’t be the first time they’ve prevented a suicide risk by shooting the individual to death before they get a chance to do it themselves. Postmodern policing.

matt_outandabout

It wouldn’t be the first time they’ve prevented a suicide risk by shooting the individual to death before they get a chance to do it themselves.

That sounds like the US foreign policy in many places…

Junkyard
    Free Member

It wouldn’t be the first time they’ve prevented a suicide risk by shooting the individual to death before they get a chance to do it themselves. Postmodern policing.

Murder is 100% effective in preventing suicide and its only real weakness is that it does not reduce the number of dead people.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Ah, it seem the Police Officer has (anonymously) made a statement to explain how it’s all fine, he was was just doing his job, here’s what happened:

The Police Officer was in fear of unarmed autistic man discharging a toy truck at his carer (who was begging him not to shoot the autistic man, as he was, confused and only ‘armed’ with a toy truck) so he fired.

Sadly for all concerned instead of killing the autistic man, he merely wounded the carer he was trying to save, because it seems he couldn’t hit the side of a barn with a banjo, let alone a static target at short range with a scoped semi-auto assault rifle. Thankfully the missed shot was enough for the Officer to realise he was a **** imbecile and to stop firing at the challenged Man with a toy truck and no one died.

Sometimes I think most Americans only speak two languages, one money, the other violence. I hope the poor injured man and the autistic man are awarded one of those huge, “only in America” payouts, because I think only money speaks louder than violence in the US.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Therapists Lives Matter – another shooting in US’ is closed to new replies.