Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • the wyre forest in 6 minutes
  • rOcKeTdOg

Ok, maybe not all of it
    [video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J3ymmLKosDY[/video]

bullandbladder
    Free Member

Weird how the impession of steepness is lost on video. Some of my favouritest trails there.

somouk
    Free Member

Any chance of a tip off of where you rode? I was meant to ride the Wyre Forrest last weekend until a broken car put that to bed. I’ve been over a couple of times but apart from the big tracks I’ve never really seen anything interesting to ride!

Cheers,
    Mart

Scamper
    Free Member

Yes, still to get over there having moved to west Brum. And will make a change to Cannock as a regualr ride.

Stoner
    Free Member

do you mean fully rigid or a hard tail?

z1ppy

bizarre how the film almost changes/disguises the look of the trails, I had no idea you’d gone into the camber until you hit the yew tree section….
    Still looking quite damp over there, considering it was dry as bone 3/4 weeks ago!

v8ninety

Grrr, why won’t this play on my phone?

MrTall
    Free Member

Same here Z1ppy, could barely recognise any of the trails and Camber looks so ‘open’ with the trees as when you’re riding it you have to concentrate on the trail immediately ahead and don’t look around.

Somouk/Scamper, there are plenty of group rides around the Wyre you could join. We tend to ride Wednesday nights and the occasional weekend. I believe there’s a Wyre Forest facebook page as well with ride details on there.

smudge
    Free Member

That first section is one of my favourites there, looks like its been felled a fair bit though & the large branch that overhangs near the bottom has now gone?

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Some bits of that look like fast swoopy fun!

My in-laws are at Blakedown, only just up the road from there. I’d never really considered taking a bike down there when visiting as I had (wrongly I guess) assumed there was nothing much to ride.
    I think I’ll throw a bike in the car next time we visit.

I’ll look for this facebook group tonight. Anyone fancy showing a (not-so-sweary) Northerner around at a weekend?

ski
    Free Member

That’s also quite smooth judder free video coverage RD for a ridged setup.

The trails look so much better when the ferns have grown up too.

bullandbladder
    Free Member

Ecky thump, you should take a look a Clent too. All of 30 mins ride from Blakedown 😀

rOcKeTdOg

Yea, it’s amazingly smooth footage, the trails definately aren’t and it is steeper than it looks

This was shot weekend before last pre biblical deluge

I’m happy to show anyone round, but as you can see from the above i’m slow!

do you mean fully rigid or a hard tail?

Fully rigid, GoPro attached to stem

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Nice vid, does smooth it all out.
    Clearly you have some sort of shock absorbing neck!

Houns

Ecky I used to live in blakedown

I’d show you around but got chest infection :0(

Houns

Oh can’t view vid on eye pad

Scamper
    Free Member

I’ll have to take you up on that offer sometime over the summer, RD. I will be equally slow, mind.

mboy
    Free Member

I’ll look for this facebook group tonight. Anyone fancy showing a (not-so-sweary) Northerner around at a weekend?

This Sunday any use to you? I’m on the Facebook group and regularly ride there at the weekends, though yet to attend a Wednesday night ride though may do soon.

Weird how the impession of steepness is lost on video. Some of my favouritest trails there.

+1, I barely recognised any of them until a couple of prominent features, but then I suppose you just don’t recognise the surroundings when you’re in the zone concentrating. But they don’t look steep on camera for sure, sadly!

Still looking quite damp over there, considering it was dry as bone 3/4 weeks ago!

It’s April! 😉

But yes, it was lovely only 4 weeks ago, still not too bad at the moment but a little softer again…

I’d never really considered taking a bike down there when visiting as I had (wrongly I guess) assumed there was nothing much to ride.

It’s one of those places only really the locals know about, and you have to be shown where the trails are. Guaranteed though, you will enjoy it, it has some of the nicest wooded singletrack you’ll ride in the UK, and you can easily piece together a ride in the Wyre of 15-20 miles, with most of it being singletrack and very few fireroads (let alone actual roads) being involved.

ski
    Free Member

I’d never really considered taking a bike down there when visiting as I had (wrongly I guess) assumed there was nothing much to ride.

Most of the time we ride there, we feel like we have the place to ourselves too, which is great when you want trail free blast to yourselves.

rOcKeTdOg

Do remember though, apart from a few bridleways, the cycle route and family cycle route you’re not supposed to ride there, as i’ve been told by a guy in a forestry landy “bikes aren’t welcome in the main forest, stick to kinlet”

ski
    Free Member

Your right RD, there are some real no go areas there too, so respect them too, last thing we want to do is upset the locals.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

mboy,
    thanks for the offer, I’d love to take you up on that but we’re not down your way this weekend. I’ll look up the Farcebook group and hopefully get in touch through there.

Houns,
    it might be a few weeks before I’m down that way. Hopefully you might be over your chest infection by then.

Does anyone mind if I spam my old Wyre Forest videos ?
    Too late, I’ve done it.

I don’t ride in the Wyre much. I keep meaning to mount the camera on the bike again and film some of the local bridleways. There’s some surprisingly good stuff around here outside the forest.

rOcKeTdOg

I must explore those Graham

Mounty_73

I also must explore these bridleways, its just finding the time to get out to them.

Any good ones MidlandTrailquestsGraham? 😉

cakefacesmallblock

R.D. that’s enough ! Good little vid though !

If I wasn’t in the middle of a whole load o stuff for work, I’d be up there in 10 mins.

Lots of stuff being “sanitised” by those “lovely” folk from Natural England right now; little gates and steps etc. Odd “features” being removed. Little piles of stone ballast round the forest too, ready to make the trails safer.

Stay out of the way of the rangers and “paths” nearer the vis centre folks ! There’s lots to enjoy and often no one to share it with.

mrhoppy

1:40 last time I was riding there there was a nuddy shoot going on. I like the Wyre forest me 🙂

mboy
    Free Member

“Stick Man” had been busy again, went down for an impromptu ride today with a friend who’s new to mountain biking. Having built up to it, took her down Camber, only had to stop every 20 yards to remove a log/branch of decent size that had been carefully placed to be as much of an obstacle as it could be. Had I not been taking it easy showing my friend, would have had a few brown trouser moments, or worse possibly. If anyone has any photos, or even better, a video of stickman so we know who he is, please share… I was in quite a rage earlier just the thought that someone would go out of their way (he must’ve spent hours on Camber finding these logs and placing them!) like this to intentionally hurt other people…

cakefacesmallblock

Not sure how to proceed if I discover stick man at work, but, I’ve considered taking a walk early on (say) a monday morning, or friday afternoon, if I get chance, with the dog I haven’t got along camber and probably the singletrack which cuts the corner from the bottom of the double track after the gate on St John’s lane to Unclys Farm,which has been “sticked” fairly well twice in the last month or so, just to see if he’s about.

Mounty_73

Stick man only comes out at night.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘the wyre forest in 6 minutes’ is closed to new replies.