Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The Wrekin
  • TheSwede
    Free Member

Drove past it recently on the way to llandgela and it was pointed out to me. Just watched a couple of you tube bids on it and was wondering what your opinions and descriptions are on the riding there. Down hill runs look nice and natural but are there loops taking you back up or is it a push up and session type of play ground. Cheers.

soulwood
    Free Member

A few years ago I was unfortunate to live in Telford and ventured up and around the Wrekin once. Up the main track you will come into contact with all manner of townies and wannabe red socks, all complete with their own delightful prejudices and ignorance. There appears to be several cheeky paths that run off this track, but if all your’e interested in is sliding down a loamy/muddy track, then its all good. I generally stayed away from it, too much effort for little riding reward, preferring the land next to it. Although the Shropshire Wildlife Trust bods were a pain in the a**e wandering around waving their sticks at you.. God I’m glad I left Telford. You are better to keep driving to Wales really.

Haze

Ran up it once, past lots of folks pushing long travel bikes.

I’d guess there’s some decent routes down and might be worth checking it out if you’re in the area…

Garry_Lager

I rode up the Wrekin on Christmas Day a few years back with an industrial strength hangover. Actually recall getting called a ‘lycra lout’ by a tweed jacketed female – I was going past her at at all of 0.5 mph at the time, breathing oot me arse (it’s a big climb).

It’s very steep going down the other side (westish), so there must be potential for some gnar content. Doubt you’d be riding back up, though, on this part of the hill. Sry don’t know more details, my wife’s from Ironbridge and I only know the riding a wee bit from visits to the in laws.

S_J
    Free Member

My parents have a place in Ironbridge so the Wrekin is a 20 minute ride from theirs. You really need to ride with a local to get the most out of it as none of it’s officially marked. Best suggestion if you’ve never ridden it is to follow the surfaced track all the way to the top from the car park – it does get very steep in places, and to do it without a breather would be a serious challenge. Once at the top you simply follow the obvious track over the other side and back into the woods. This drops you – increasingly steeply – until it flattens out and you hit the road. The drop is VERY steep in places and very rooty. I managed it all with one dab, but it was bone dry! I wouldn’t even bother if the ground is at all wet as it would be an uncontrolable plummet!

scruff
    Free Member

There are all manner of trails around the Wrekin, but its mainly cheeky and you have to get back up to the top.

Scamper
    Free Member

Went out there with my mtb club the other evening. Big push to the top in one go and then as noted you can drop off the other side. However we took some nice cheeky single track off from the main drag, linking bridle way type trails. Some good stuff also down via the golf course back to Wellington.

rootes1

used to ride outfrom Shrewsbury in the early 90’s with the mids to do the wrekin and the ercall little lump to the west of the wrekin.

lots of riding around, but issues with walkers and i understand that there are time restrictions for bikes on the main track up.

rootes1

ercall = east of wrekin next to A5/M54 never did know left from right…. lol

also near a house once owned and lived in by Roger Moore

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Lived in Wellington a few years back. First started mtb’ing on the Wrekin. The tracks round the side are good, but nothing special. You get a nice view from the top, but that’s about it. Usually gets very busy at the weekend anyway, and as others have said, officially, you’re not supposed to be there, but more or less tolerated. I used to get up early on a Saturday and get back to the house by 9, otherwise it’s just too busy. Soulwood more or less hits the nail on head, best just carry on to Wales.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘The Wrekin’ is closed to new replies.