Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • The Worlds Worst Trick or Treaters have just called…
  • johndoh
    Free Member

We took our two seven year olds out with their friend and her little sister (and our dog dressed as a pumpkin). We had a great time (it was especially funny when they all said ‘don’t want that’ when a lovely woman brought out homemade flapjack) but the highlight was when they went to a very well-decorated house and even the parent was dressed up really well as a witch and in full character too. It was great fun.

Cougar

Yes, it’s difficult to imagine anything worse than children dressing up and asking for some sweets.

This I have no issue with. It’s the subtext of “give us sweets or we’ll play a trick on you” as a life lesson to be teaching them that makes me uncomfortable. I’d be a lot happier if it was reframed somehow.

Yak

We took 9 kids out and had a great time. Some folk commented that we were the first trick-or-treaters in 13 years. Everyone seemed happy to see us, despite the awful jokes being told. Lots of house were decorated too, making it all the more welcoming. Good stuff.

johndoh
    Free Member

“give us sweets or we’ll play a trick on you” as a life lesson to be teaching them that makes me uncomfortable. I’d be a lot happier if it was reframed somehow.

I don’t think any children take a ‘life lesson’ from trick or treating – it’s a little bit of fun where they get to ask for sweets.

singletrackmind

Pah
    This is what you want
    Little shites who dont even bother with ‘Trick or Treat’ . How about the’ Trick of smashing that carefully carved pumpkin at your door’ , hoping that it isnt going to be opened by a 6yr old who is set of fire btea light

edit . Vid fail as its not on yooftube

zippykona

With inflation it would be “pound for the guy, mister”. Surely wheeling around a dummy in a wheel barrow for money is better than a shitty little bucket of sweets?

Cougar

I don’t think any children take a ‘life lesson’ from trick or treating – it’s a little bit of fun where they get to ask for sweets.

Some do, sure, some do not. What about the ones stocking up on eggs earlier in the thread?

Like I said, dressing up and asking for a reward for their efforts, great. Going “sweets or else” is out of order. The thing needs rebranding.

tthew

I happened to be in New York on Monday night, sat at a restaurant in Tribeca waiting the the parade to begin, (which was frankly awesome)

The Americans really know how to do halloween, all the tickers and treaters really getting into a community/family spirited event. Lots of Donald Trump outfits, some of which were brilliant.

edit – like so much of what we discuss on here, it’s not the tradition that’s the problem, just a few arseholes who just find a different excuse for there arseholery.

MoreCashThanDash

like so much of what we discuss on here, it’s not the tradition that’s the problem, just a few arseholes who just find a different excuse for there arseholery

Never a truer word spoken!

tthew

there arseholery

Surprised the grammar police didn’t pick up on this though. I blame brexit jetlag.

MoreCashThanDash

I gave the benefit of the doubt on the grammar issue. Your use of the word “arseholery” temporarily blinded me with it’s brilliance, and you can rest assured that I will use it at work tomorrow. God knows, there will be sufficient opportunity 🙄

GrahamS

Going “sweets or else” is out of order.

To be fair despite saying “Trick or treat”, I suspect most of the kids round my way would be thoroughly confused if you said “Trick please”. It’s just a thing the say (as a result of consuming too much American media).

But then this is a smallish village where everyone knows them so the Arseholery Quotient is significantly below the national average.

myti
    Free Member

Forgot to get anything and had some kids at the door…they weren’t too impressed with the offer of a power bar each!

nealglover
    Free Member

Worst idea ever. I have no problem with the rest of Halloween but there is no justification for trick or treat.

This seems like perfectly good “justification” to me.

Little kids having fun. What’s not to like ?

Went out with the four year old and met lots of lovely people on our street. He couldn’t quite believe that folk would give him sweeties in return for telling his (frankly crap) knock knock joke. He was literally jumping up and down in excitement.

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘The Worlds Worst Trick or Treaters have just called…’ is closed to new replies.