Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • "The Worlds best seat post ever made"…
  • sparkingchains
    Free Member

Bit surprised someone thinks a 15+ yr old seat post is worth £190

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ringle-Moby-seat-post-272-fits-Klein-fat-chance-salsa-litespeed-Merlin-Yeti-NOS-/321245368735

As it goes I happen to have one of these.

parkesie
    Free Member

Collectors item wtf

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Yeah.. I nearly spat out my sandwiches when i saw that a few weeks ago – it was originally at £250. Especially as I own TWO of those seatposts – I thought I’d missed some unrealised holiday fund sitting about in my bike-room.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

the retrobike crew love these and to be fair they are good seatposts but not THAT good. It is over priced I think.

anybody want to sell me one? I have a retobike project on the go. 🙂

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Mine are both attached – to a 1997 carbon Giant MCM Team and Klein Attitude, respectively.. 8)

Speshpaul

proof that the drugs were better in the 90’s.

amplebrew

It does look dear, but you can’t just go and buy a new one from a shop.

If you’ve got a build with Ringle hubs, stem and skewers that’s just missing a new and unused post; then the value is based on how much you’re willing to pay.

I’d love an NOS Syncros stem and post for my Dekerf and would gladly pay more than the price of a new Thomson.

the-muffin-man

He’s selling these for £650…

…I chucked a pair of those in the bin 10 years ago. They were the worst brakes I’d ever used!

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Surely the best one is the infamously advertised Moots one?…

amplebrew

My vote for the nicest post would go to Eriksen

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Collector’s value, check this listing:

EBAY

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Nah, the (£350 new) used Pashley 24MHz for £1500 on eBay is the best. Because its 0001 its worth £1500 apparently. I’ve bought (and sold) two of these for under £100 a time. I could be rich now. RIIICCCCHHHH!!!

molgrips
    Free Member

Best offer? £10?

orangeboy
    Free Member

Those campy delta do fetch very silly money every time

Blackhound

Can’t find it now but there was a pic of Lance Armstrong using Campag Delta brakes in a TT in the TdF some years ago.

Clearly illegal to use as they have taken the TdF victories away from him!

sparkingchains
    Free Member

NO_eyed_dear – I used to have mine on a 1997 carbon Giant MCM too! Non-team black one. Still got the RST mozo pro forks too. Maybe they are worth a few hundred.

The Ringle Moby post is very well made but £250! Pfffffft!

TheOtherJamie
    Free Member

A vintage Ferrari probably isn’t worth £30m+ but it’s funny what people will pay for stuff that’s no longer produced.

andylc
    Free Member

Some nutters are asking up to £1600 for Campag Delta brakes! They’re so rare there are only about 10 pairs going on eBay at any one time….

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

It’s obvious most of you don’t know diddly squat about the retro scene.
    I sold a wheel used mk2 Moby post to a bloke in Germany for over £60. I can quite believe someone would pay £150+ for a NOS one. I was quite happy to pay £35 for a green Ringle H2O bottle cage to match my 93 Explosif.
    How many people lump £250 on a dropper post here? I think that’s utter madness for what is basically half a £150 suspension fork!
    Retro gear can be a good investment. Just because it’s ‘crap’ doesn’t mean it’s worthless. 🙂

eddie11
    Free Member

Campag delta are lovely. Saw a bloke running them in him ratty commuter last week. I was amazed, one because they are worth a bomb, and two they (by all accounts) don’t work.

njee20
    Free Member

I’d love an NOS Syncros stem and post for my Dekerf and would gladly pay more than the price of a new Thomson.

No idea if they still do, but my LBS had an old Syncros stem lying about, hinged clamp job. That was a couple of years ago. Simon is probably your best bet on 01483 267676.

shaggy

Just because it’s ‘crap’ doesn’t mean it’s worthless.
    In fact it can makes it more valuable, as all the broken ones mean there are rarer 😉

I had a Moby in one of my Bontragers for several years. Build quality was mediocre IMO.

Bontrager B29 by Shaggy John, on Flickr

jamj1974

How many people lump £250 on a dropper post here? I think that’s utter madness for what is basically half a £150 suspension fork!

Erm… More “diddly squat” above ^^

tpbiker
    Free Member

so how much are my Zoom Brahma bars worth then…..

surely the same vintage…I thought I’d get about a tenner for them, maybe I need to reconsider!

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’m sure I’ve got some On a bar ends kicking around…

shortcut

If someone wants it for a project they may well buy it. It’s just about how much they want it and how scarce they are.

It’s just economics and no one is forcing you to pay that price.

martello
    Free Member

Good lord, I’ll have to whip my 1992 USE ti post out of the same age Merlin to see what i can get for it……

kiwijohn

I was quite happy to pay £35 for a green Ringle H2O bottle cage

Hmmm,I have a purple & a gold one. What would they be worth?

robdob
    Free Member

Depends on condition. Scrappy ones go for £10-£20, £35 for a NOS one like peterpoddys. Depends if you have the original L bend as well.

kiwijohn

Both used but look ok. Only 1 L bend. Think I’ll keep them.

Northwind

This is not the greatest seatpost in the wo-o-orld

D0NK

Surely the best one is the infamously advertised Moots one?…

was what I was expecting

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Erm… More “diddly squat” above ^^

Go on then, explain why a dropper post isn’t BASICALLY half a cheap suspension fork.*
    Cheap forks have basic damping and remote lock outs, so does a Reverb. All it needs is a bush of some sort to stop it twisting
    They only sell because they “make the trail come alive” or some such marketing guff. 🙂

*Also, how many have you opened up and seen how little is inside them? 🙂

sparkingchains
    Free Member

Welll if anyone wants it (the Moby post in silver that is), some STX-RC, some Club Roost bars or a titanium Flite saddle from the mid 90s give me a shout.

terrahawk
    Free Member

I got as far as “Please see photo’s”

Superficial
    Free Member

Go on then, explain why a dropper post isn’t half a cheap suspension BASICALLY fork. Cheap forks have basic damping and remote lock outs, so does a Reverb. All it needs is a bush of some sort to stop it twisting
    They only sell because they “make the trail come alive” or some such marketing guff.

Why can’t a reverb be worth half an expensive fork? They have good seals, quality all-metal construction / hydraulic hose etc. By your ‘half a fork metric’ does that mean they’re cheap because they’re less than half the price of some forks?

Say what you will about the price of MTB stuff in general, it’s expensive blah blah blah. Dropper posts are fantastic and here’s a list of things I’d sacrifice on my bike before getting rid of my Reverb:

basic vs expensive wheels
    XT (or even SLX) vs XTR groupset
    All-singing Fox forks vs cheap Revelations
    A boutique frame (SC/Yeti/Orange etc) vs something mass-produced and cheaper

Sorry, realise that was way off topic. Obvious troll etc.

Northwind

In terms of build quality, components etc a Reverb’s fairly equivalent to half a quality Rockshox. No steel stanchions, no coil springs. Hydraulic instead of cable (though, personally I do not care) And lo and behold it costs about as much as half a quality Rockshox. Bit more, and no need for complex damping… but since they probably sell much less, and have less or no interchangability from model to model there’s always going to be a cost increase.

You can buy dropper posts that are on a par with a cheap fork but they kind of suck, predictably. Exception being my Gravity Dropper I guess which is a very basic but functional bit of kit… But then I wouldn’t pay RRP for a gravity dropper these days.

sparkingchains
    Free Member

^ ^ Ha ah, I WILL defend my choice of seat post! 😯

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘"The Worlds best seat post ever made"…’ is closed to new replies.