Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • The world of torrents is changing . . .
  • SST
    Free Member

IsoHunt closed down today – one of the few sites that didn’t seem to have pop-unders . . .

wrecker
    Free Member

Sad day.

Jamie
    Free Member

Now where will people go for their Linux distros? 8)

SST
    Free Member

Welcome to the world of Magnets . . . .

jekkyl

POP under or no, pirate bay is flourishing.

SST
    Free Member

I used to like selecting the files I wanted to download, rather than loading everything and selecting the files I don’t want to download.

PB will be steaming now.

jekkyl

what client do you guys use?
    I use Utorrent, but it always seems to slow down my machine dramitically and my machine is not a basic spec.

xcgb
    Free Member

“waits for post pointing out that its stealing” 🙂

eskay

what client do you guys use

Vuze

alexandersupertramp
    Free Member

Won’t there just be a
    Www. ISO-proxy hunt .com
    Or similar along soon ?

TuckerUK
    Free Member

“waits for post pointing out that its stealing”

I think if you acquire something you never had any intention of buying (because the price was too steep), and the vendor lost absolutely nothing (no product, no revenue), it may well be ‘stealing’ by definition, but if no-one has lost anything have you really taken anything?

DezB
    Free Member

Bum. isohunt was great the few times I used it.

samuri
    Free Member

What if you bought the CD and then it got broken? That can’t be stealing.

compositepro
    Free Member

i never steal from utorrent i always give it back……its more of a temporary borrow

RichPenny
    Free Member

Isn’t it copyright infringement rather than theft? Seems a bit weak to claim there’s no issues with it. Just enjoy being a bit naughty 😉

Cougar

Home taping was killing music in the 80s. This is evidenced by the fact there’s now no music.

I used to use isohunt occasionally, it was good for snagging episodes of crap telly we’d missed. It might be copyright infringement, but I’m not really going to lose much sleep over torrenting last night’s Celebrity Ice Dancing in the Jungle Factor, especially when I’ve already paid for it anyway and just forgotten to set Sky+. And if it wasn’t such a DRM-infested lo-fi trauma to use iPlayer etc, I wouldn’t even have to do that.

skids
    Free Member

isohunt just linked to piratebay which linked to the torrents

keefmac

i use torrentz.eu as a search site and the utorrent client, never had any performance issues with my laptop.

bob_summers

Isn’t the legal issue actually that you’re sharing/uploading stuff? I got a “cease or desist” letter from the lawyers of CBS or Fox or someone, seemingly not bothered that I’d acquired their stuff without paying, it was the sharing that they were fussing about.

warton
    Free Member

does no one use news groups?

butcher

I sometimes download a lot of stuff I already own, purely because I find it easier than converting them to MP3s. But I guess that means I also upload a lot of stuff I own 😐

SST
    Free Member

“isohunt just linked to piratebay which linked to the torrents”

That may be true – but IsoHunt gave you the nice option of selecting specific files from within a “torrent” – which I found convienient.

Anyway, PB it is for now. And I use uTorrent.

Mr_C
    Free Member

does no one use news groups?

Sssshhhhh

The first rule of Usenet is you do not talk about Usenet.

SST
    Free Member

BitTorrent Site Isohunt Resurfaces Again As Isohunt.to

plyphon
    Free Member

That may be true – but IsoHunt gave you the nice option of selecting specific files from within a “torrent” – which I found convienient.

Anyway, PB it is for now. And I use uTorrent.

You can do that within the Torrent client – at least I always have been able to.

In utorrent you just open up the file and tick/untick to suit.

samuri
    Free Member

Electronic media has been copied and distributed for years because it’s easy to do with computers.

With the advent of 3D printing, is it only a matter of time before we see ‘Kettlehunt’ when you can torrent the electronic version of a kettle or suitcase and essentially, create a copy when you didn’t buy a kettle in the first place?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Vuze let’s you choose which files to download, allegedly !

bigG
    Free Member

Pirate Bay already has 3d print plans for a gun available to download, print that then go and rob Comet for a kettle. Jobs done.

D0NK

Pirate Bay already has 3d print plans for a gun available to download, print that then go and rob Comet for a kettle

yep coz copyright infringement is exactly the same as armed robbery, britney spears said so.

piemonster

*eagerly awaits printing live ammunition

eddiebaby
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiWrC5dymcg[/video]

ampthill

I think if you acquire something you never had any intention of buying (because the price was too steep), and the vendor lost absolutely nothing (no product, no revenue), it may well be ‘stealing’ by definition, but if no-one has lost anything have you really taken anything?

I’m not going for a moral argument here just the market effect

But the practical consequences of say Pirated Photoshop is not less Photoshop sales as its pretty pricey

I think its the people trying to make a cheap rival to Photoshop that loose out. Or if Adobe had got a sale from every pirated copy then may be it would only be £40

Jamie
    Free Member

Pirate Bay already has 3d print plans for a gun available to download, print that then go and rob Comet for a kettle. Jobs done.

If you’re planning on robbing Comet, you may need to print a Delorean as well.

winston_dog
    Free Member

I used to use isohunt but now have to put with pirate bay proxys. Ads are annoying but hey ho.

Not sure where I stand on the whole piracy thing, if I download music I don’t own and enjoy it I tend to buy the CD.

I never go to the cinema anymore and tend to download old movies anyway. I did download Alpha Papa as I am a big Partridge fan but it was so shit I am glad I didn’t pay for it.

The wife switched the PVR off at the wall the other night and I lost my Motd recording, so I downloaded that. Is that stealing? Will I go to hell?

takisawa2

At least you can get at these sites.
    Virgin Media have blocked pretty much anything remotely linked with torrents.
    😐

Unless anyone knows otherwise… 😉

unovolo
    Free Member

If you’re planning on robbing Comet, you may need to print a Delorean as well.

Well I have printed off my Gun and Delorean got my bodywarmer on and just off to rob some Spangles from the corner shop.
    Happy days

domwells27
    Free Member

takisawa2 – Member

Unless anyone knows otherwise…

Proxy services get around this problem. If one were to type “free proxy” into a popular search engine, I’m sure you would find a suitable solution to your problem 😉

drlex
    Free Member

BT does much the same with kicka$$torrents; shame that Google’s cached copy of the page works fine…

😀 @ Jamie’s Delorean comment

wrecker
    Free Member

Unless anyone knows otherwise…
    Search google for the site you want and just add proxy to it “pirate bay proxy” or “kick ass torrents proxy”
    job jobbed.

CountZero

I sometimes download a lot of stuff I already own, purely because I find it easier than converting them to MP3s.

Eh? So it’s easier to have your computer sitting there churning away downloading stuff, rather than shoving a few CD’s in the slot and letting them rip while doing something else?
    Doing it yourself, you at least have total control over the final quality, you’ve no idea what the torrent files are going to be like.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘The world of torrents is changing . . .’ is closed to new replies.