Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • the wire, whats your fav series?
  • sucklingmatt
    Free Member

Me and Mrs Suckling have commenced watching the wire again annoyingly I don’t have series 1, but I have all the others so we are starting on series 2

kimbers

as a parent I think 4 was brilliant

MSP

To be honest, season 1 is the stand out one, all the others just don’t reach the same heights. Season one kind of starts out as a standard cop show, and before you know it, it’s 3am on Monday morning, you have to get up for work in 3 hours and you are trying to convince yourself you will stop after just one more episode.

For me west wing and Sopranos, both had 4 or 5 top class seasons before it became to much of a muchness. I would rate them overall higher than the wire.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    sucklingmatt
    Free Member

Is that the one with the little kids? I think series 3 is prob mine but I need to watch them all before I man my judgement.

DrJ

Hard to choose. The Wire is the best thing that has ever been on TV in that it is a cop show but also a complete portrait of a city and its institutions, legal and illegal. My 2 cents I liked series 4 best and 2 least.

jekkyl

sorry to come over all topical but game of thrones is for me the best series. Great music, great acting, fantastic script and the storyline is awesome, mystery, magic & murder, great stuff.

sucklingmatt
    Free Member

Problem with got is that I have watched it over an over again and read all the books too so now have one episode a week of got when the new one is on so need something else to watch so the wire it is

athgray
    Free Member

For me series 3 and 4.

warton
    Free Member

for me season 2. Nothing I’ve seen before or since portrays the total hopelessness and bleakness of working class america like that season. Totally spellbinding.

kimbers

just like to add i did a summer camp for inner city kids from boston whilst at uni, a few of the kids had really troubled backgrounds and season 4 really struck a chord, when we used to drop the kids back to their own neighbourhoods after 10 days in the woods was tough

dh
    Free Member

The shield

BoardinBob

The best of characters of the overall series arc: the cops, barksdale crew, Omar plus the dock guys

Marlo is just junior Avon. Carcetti is no more of a political monster than Rawls, Burrel etc

loddrik
    Free Member

2. Without a doubt. Just finished watching it again.

When Ziggy shoots double G. Brilliant. Didn’t see it coming.

seadog101

Series 2 for me. They are all so good it’s hard to choose. Must get the box set and re-watch every episode.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Gotta be series 2 – that s41t is tight

scotia
    Free Member

whats the question OP? best season of the wire or best series?

the series is the wire..it has a total of 5 seasons

DrJ

When Ziggy shoots double G. Brilliant. Didn’t see it coming.

If you wanna talk about “shootings you didn’t see coming”, well, there’s … I hesitate to post a spoiler even for an old series, but you know the one I’m talking about !!

IanW
    Free Member

Probably season two overall although dead soldiers of season three was very good.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

I thought they were all pretty good. Season 3 felt a little rushed towards the end. I think it’s because HBO were thinking about canning it and the writers wanted to tie everything up before it was over.

It’s the best cop show I’ve ever seen, though I’ve not seen The Shield yet.

Best TV Series I’ve ever seen has to be House Of Cards. Hands down.

chiefgrooveguru

whats the question OP? best season of the wire or best series?
    the series is the wire..it has a total of 5 seasons…

“Seasons” is an Americanism – the UK word is “series”.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Season 1 for the set up, season 2 the best self-contained story (going beyond drugs), season 4 really bleak (in a good way, even the opening credit sequence is all variations of a wheel turning) season 5 felt like a rushed disappointment.

I thought Marlo was too one-dimensional, just cold and evil full stop whereas Avon and Stringer etc were fleshed out characters.

And we’re talking about an American show, so seasons is correct. It’s what’s printed on the front of the DVDs!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘the wire, whats your fav series?’ is closed to new replies.