Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • The Wire
  • noteeth
    Free Member

It’s true what they said – and now I’m hopelessly addicted.

*craves fix

Stoner
    Free Member

I have watched 4x series on DVD.
    Must buy no. 5

best thing I’ve seen since the Morse hey days 🙂

anagallis_arvensis

I’ve seen them all on boxsets, great stuff. I prefer Deadwood though!!

jon1973
    Free Member

Just ordered seasons 1 and 2 from Amazon. Only ever caught the odd episode and it looked great, so I’m going to start from the beginning.

noteeth
    Free Member

best thing I’ve seen since the Morse hey days

Good old Morose, eh? Although I’m pretty sure The Wire will never include anything as magnificently strange as the Inspector Morse rave episode (‘Cherubin and Seraphim’)…. 😯

grumm
    Free Member

Nearly finished the whole thing for the second time around. Just to prove that downloading is sometimes good – I got the whole thing off bit torrent and watched it, then liked it so much I bought all the DVDs.

Stoner
    Free Member

grumm – exactly the same as me. I wathed the first 3 or 4 episodes on surfthechannel and then decided it was worth better quality so bought the series sets.

ajf
    Free Member

currently watching on bbc2. Religiously setting the video (remember then?) and recording, then watching the next day. Oh how I dream of sky + 😥

Best thing on TV at the moment and completely hooked! Can see the DVDs being bought soon

uplink
    Free Member

I’m about 5 episodes in but really struggling with some of the accents

ourmaninthenorth

Mrs North and i finally gave in at the start of the year to buying it on DVD to watch all the way through from the beginning.

We’ve had a bit of time off after hammering through seasons 1 and 2, and are now back into season 3 (which we’ve found harder going that 1 and 2). However, it’s starting to look good again.

Looking forward to 4 & 5 soonest!

tom84
    Free Member

i’m a wire-a-holic. just been checking out teaser scenes from ‘generation kill’ a mini series made by wire people, looks v good.

i’m naming my cat ‘omar’ as well.

please no spoilers on this thread, i have already had a nasty surprise re: series 5

Stoner
    Free Member

omar is a fantastic character.

And all of them so well acted.

I love the language in it. You really have to concentrate on it, a bit like a shakesperean play, but once you’ve got it it starts to sound quite straightforward.

Stranger
    Free Member

“really struggling with some of the accents” lol!
    Me too!
    It’s not just the accents, it’s the whole language of the Baltimore projects I struggle with.
    But I’m persevering, and it’s well worth the effort.
    As good as the critics claim.

[edit] still waiting for it to sound straightforward 😀 [/edit]

noteeth
    Free Member

You really have to concentrate on it, a bit like a shakesperean play

You is so street, stoner. 😀

grumm
    Free Member

Generation Kill is also very good.

Also worth watching is The Corner, a mini-series also set in Baltimore.

Stoner
    Free Member

you should hear my rendition of baltimore street patois.

Its the verbal equivalent of watching your dad dance 🙂

EDIT: It took about 4 episodes, watched over two nights. When Mrs S joined me for the 5th I was quite proficient translating for the mofo 🙂

noteeth
    Free Member

you should hear my rendition…

On which note, props to both the british Dominic West for his portrayal of the heroically flawed McNulty, and the british Idris Elba, who plays the fearsome Stringer Bell. Boys done good!

I was quite proficient translating for the mofo

Ah, cosy married life… 😀

grumm
    Free Member

McNulty’s accent is a little bit dodgy at times I would say. Stringer Bell’s and Carcetti’s (played by Aiden Gillen who is Irish) are very good though imo.

jammer
    Free Member

I know what you mean.

I’m absolutely addicted.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

About half way through Season 4 just now. Really excellent TV – Shakespearean/Greek Tragedy in its scope.

Has Season 2 started yet on Beeb2? My favourite so far.

grievoustim
    Free Member

that morse episode was directed by danny Boyle previous to trainspotting

Mr_C
    Free Member

Had heard a lot about The Wire, but assumed it was mainly hype.

Started watching it on BBC2 and was instantly hooked and got hold of series 1 & 2 as I couldn’t wait for my nightly fix.

Have just spent yesterday and today watching the whole of series 2, absolutely the best TV series I have ever watched. I have never watched a whole series like that before as I usually get bored after a couple of episodes but this is like a good book that you just want to turn the page and find out what happens next.

Gonna have to be careful though as the next person to upset me may just get called a dumb ass mf. 😆

And just how do you spell alright without using any consonants?

Off out now to find series 3-5.

fennesz
    Free Member

Season 1 finishes tonight, so Season 2 starts tomorrow on the Beeb?

When you finished the whole series, read The Corner & Homicide, then watch it all again. So much detail. For example, The Hole is name a little rat run between 2 streets & In The Hole is the brand name of the product knocked out by the crew that sling on that corner.

tom84
    Free Member

its ‘i-ight’

flatback
    Free Member

the best programme ever made. but the first attempt buy the same team was “the corner” and that is very good also, but you must watch “the wire” then “the corner” never the other way around

acjim
    Free Member

my favourite characters so far (bbc shows only):

cop; Lester “he’s good police”

robber; gotta be Omar – Ayo, lesson here, Bey. You come at the king, you best not miss. (edit!)

Stoner
    Free Member

Omar: All in the game yo, all in the game.

fennesz
    Free Member

Omar: How you expect to run wit the wolves at night when you spend all day sparring wit the puppies

anagallis_arvensis

still think Deadwood is better!

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘The Wire’ is closed to new replies.