Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The Wild Atlantic Way, Ireland
  • gravitysucks
    Free Member

Me and the Mrs have a week in September and will be heading over to Ireland.

The plan is to drive over, pick up the west coast and spend 4 or 5 days on the West Atlantic Way before heading over to Belfast (Titanic Museum) and then for a final day in Dublin on the way out.

So tell me about the WAW. Anyone local and know some treasures or visited and know so unmissable places?

We’ll be taking the bikes, climbing gear, caving gear and doing some wild camping en-route so any suggestions that fit into the above will be greatly received!

kilo

If you’re going far enough south a trip out onto The Skelligs is pretty cool. The cliffs of Moher are good to.

donncha

West Cork, ring of Kerry, Skelligs Islands, Clare Burren, Doolin, Galway City, Don Aonghasa on the Aran islands, Leenane, Kylemore abbey, Achill Island, Slieve League and Glenveagh.
    Have a Google at those and see which take your fancy!

donncha

Oh and if you make it as far as West Cork def do a night time kayak trip to check out the bioluminescence.

jimjam
    Free Member

Given your timescale I would probably go directly to Galway/Mayo, then work my way up along the west coast. Going much further south would leave you driving a lot with little time for activities.

Achill is nice for cycling around. Be sure to check out the famine village – you’ll see loads of abandoned homesteads and small holdings all over the WAW but this is one of the bigger sites.

Belleek Castle in Ballina is a very strange and entertaining place to stay, on the way. Dodgy rooms, but awesome food, bar and tour of the tunnels beneath. Up towards Sligo, Benbulben and Yates country has some beautiful scenery and really nice hiking / cycling.

Then definitely check out Slieve League, best sea cliffs in Ireland. Local villages have nice pubs too. If you have time and you can take it in check out the Bluestack Mountain Drive – spectacular loop with interesting spots along the way. Definitely check out Glenveagh and climb Errigal if you can, probably some of the best views in Ireland to be had there.

Possibly a trip out to Tory Island. Ballymastoker, Portsalon, Knockalla….loads more.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘The Wild Atlantic Way, Ireland’ is closed to new replies.