Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • The Wiggins effect – More MAMILs on the road
  • djglover
    Free Member

Has everyone else noticed this. Its like tennis and wimbledon. In our bike sheds at work the number of extra low to mid range road bikes locked up in amazing. Infact there was no room left at all, which I had never seen before.

it will probably only last a week

FuzzyWuzzy

Nope – I only notice it when the sun comes out for a few days, never as the result of the TdF being on or us doing well in cycling as often gets reported.

scaled
    Free Member

It’ll last till it rains.

I’m proudly wearing all my oldest, most worn out kit 😀

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Apparently there’s been a surge in bike2work purchases this last week. Great for shops, and great for us happy to wait until the winter to pick up a barely-used second hand bargain 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

Yes loads out the eve that Wiggo won the TT this week.

Me included, obvs.

FuzzyWuzzy

I think the C2W blip is down to a lot of companies (mine included) only having a short window in January and July for new purchases, it’s certainly the reason my new bike appeared earlier this week and not thanks to Wiggo’s French exploits.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Apparently there’s been a surge in bike2work purchases this last week. Great for shops, and great for us happy to wait until the winter to pick up a barely-used second hand bargain

On the other hand loads of places are selling Cannondale SuperSix 105’s for £1399! I’m tempted, but seeing as in my head almost already bought it at £2k, I’m now looking at the ultegra version! That or the CAAD10.

richardk
    Free Member

I think that there will be a big fire sale of Boardman bikes in Halfords shortly, making way for the inevitable “wiggo” frames

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Lets see how many are still giving it the beans on a cold, wet, miserable February morning.

Shandy
    Free Member

Its a bit like gyms in January, hopefully some of them will enjoy it and stick at it.

ChrisHeath

I was stopped at a level crossing this morning. It sometimes happens on my commute, and very occasionally I’ll be sat there with one other cyclist.

This morning there were probably 8 or 9 others.

It’d be nice to think that this is the start of more people realising that you can cycle a few miles to work, rather than driving, sitting in traffic and then paying several quid for parking. But as others have said, I reckon the first time it rains it’ll be back to normal.

plumber
    Free Member

I’ve stopped riding for the next 3 weeks in protest, get off my roads! 🙂

Lifer
    Free Member

Definitely more people to overtake out there.

mrchrispy

the more the merrier I say.
    hopefully they’ll all be out of shape and I can look awesome as I race face them… 😐

mintimperial

the first time it rains it’ll be back to normal

Yes, but the new cyclists who go back to their cars in the rain will now appreciate what it’s like, say, having a motorist pass you at 40mph six inches off your bars, and will drive more considerately as a result. Even if they don’t ride every day those new riders are still a good thing for the rest of us.

FWIW I’ve not seen any new riders on my commute this week, but then I hardly ever see anyone riding to work on a bike round here anyway. Last week I was in Essex and all the motorists were being suspiciously tolerant and careful, I got slightly freaked out by it…

Madfly
    Free Member

I’d been looking for a SH road bike for a couple of months now, waiting for a local ish Cube attempt or such like. The prices seem to have jumped this last couple of weeks and loads more are dissapearing from ebay without finishing.

Looks like i’ll be spending more time on the mtbs until the winter, when they inevitably can’t stand the cold or realise it was a whim.

aP
    Free Member

However, a lot of the new breed cycle like they drive – piling into red lights and skidding to a halt at the last minute. Last week I had a guy do it to me twice in less than a mile (him being slow to start off, slow to pedal but fast to the stop line) and he even attempted to push me out of a right turn lane – so I cut in front of him. Cue huge amounts of abuse and shouting and attempting to muscle me into the kerb. I just left him to it.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Anyone noticed an increase in helmets?

DezB
    Free Member

No more than normal round here.
    A driver coming the other way did wave me through to let me pass a bus, which seemed unusual!

chakaping
    Free Member

Anyone noticed an increase in helmets?

Sounds like aP has

binners

Just what the world needs. More miserable bloody roadies! 😉

crazy-legs

Cycling round London the last few days, it’s been like a Wacky Races version of the Tour. Cyclists EVERYWHERE. Get to an ASL and there will be 30 other cyclists in it.

Several times now I’ve tried to find a local Boris Bike station and either there are no bikes in it when I want one or there are no docking spaces left when I want to park up.

As a general rule, the organised chaos seems to work remarkably well. Drivers seem to understand that cyclists can be completely bonkers and will jump red lights without a second thought. Cyclists seem to understand that all car drivers are out to kill them and the middle ground works well! 😉

Edric64
    Free Member

Just been a MAMIL this morning but off road cos deep down we all know lycras best

therealhoops
    Free Member

I noticed last night that every car was giving me loads of room when passing. I was convinced that stuff must be falling out of my Camelbak and they didn’t want to hit it. It was almost like they cared about anyone on two wheels.
    Car drivers, can you go back to carving me up and passing at stupid speed please? your compassion for other road users is freaking me out!

chomp
    Free Member

hopefully it will mean plenty of ebay bargains around christmas 🙂

brakes
    Free Member

Cycling round London the last few days, it’s been like a Wacky Races version of the Tour.

I’ve been working from home to avoid argy bargy due to Olympic fever as I can’t resist a commuter race.

ransos
    Free Member

More bums on saddles can only be a good thing. Though I reserve the right to mock any overweight MAMIL sporting a polka dot jersey…

Gribs

I’ve had a couple of friends ask to borrow my road bike to try it out and I’m looking forward to getting it back at the weekend. I’ve had a couple of run outs on the mtb this week but the local interesting trails are still waterlogged and it felt much more effort than just going for a quick spin on the road.

stever
    Free Member

Barely been out of the house this week, but if so, BRILLIANT! Off for a few cx hill reps in a minute to work up an appetite for lunch. In lycra 🙂

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

At what age do you become a MAMIL? Just wondering how long I have left before I’m supposed to be apologetic about the garish lycra 🙂

ahwiles
    Free Member

The Wiggins effect – More MAMILs on the road

good isn’t it?

bikes are ace.

rOcKeTdOg

Who is Wiggins?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

rOcKeTdOg – Member
    Who is Wiggins?

Some bloke who’s more important than you.

brooess
    Free Member

Just wait till all the newbies learn ‘the rules’ and Silly Commuter Racing. It’ll be carnage!

The Rules

Silly Commuter Racing

juan
    Free Member

Car drivers, can you go back to carving me up and passing at stupid speed please? your compassion for other road users is freaking me out!

PMSL this is thread of the week.

binners

At what age do you become a MAMIL? Just wondering how long I have left before I’m supposed to be apologetic about the garish lycra

Its not about the age, as such. Its more about the status of your rapidly developing paunch 😉

mrchrispy

spot on….im 40 (nearly) and look f00king ace in lyrca (for my age).
    a little paunch but the bibs take care of that 🙂

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Dunno if this is a Wiggins effect also, but I’ve seen above average numbers of Mods out on the roads on pimped-up scooters and proper schmutter in the last couple of days.

joeegg
    Free Member

Out on a long road ride yesterday i stopped for a break and bought a pork pie from a butchers in a small village.
    Whilst i was sat a young girl about 7 or 8 passed with her mother.She saw my bike and said to her mother “i want a bike like that”
    “i want to be like Bradley Wiggins”.
    Its surprising that people i know who have never had an interest in biking are now sending me e-mails about Wiggins.
    Most Mamils i know are pretty fit and have been on bikes for plenty of years.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘The Wiggins effect – More MAMILs on the road’ is closed to new replies.