Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The wife – pain in the neck
  • rascal
    Free Member

Not her…she gets one when riding her bike 😉
    Over the years her bike seems to be getting less and less comfortable. Riding alongside today her it seems her hands need to be 4-5 inches back and 2-3 inches higher than where her bars are now.
    It’s an oldish Rockhopper with about a 30mm very high rise stem and some X-Lite risers on – trouble is I don’t think there’s a pair of risers that will do the job…is the only option a pair of shopper-type bars? She doesn’t really do offroad as such – just pootles (Rutland Water today) but it’s putting her off going on the bike as it’s really sore after a while…any suggestions?

andyhbikes
    Free Member

A adjustable stem is what you need

OCB
    Free Member

I’ve been looking for something similar, for much the same reasons (although not for your wife, clearly 😉 ).

We’ve tried an assortment of ‘alt-bars’ with limited success, so next up will be the ‘NC-17 Trekking 4.5 Super Riser Bar‘ I think …

… and small, ergonomic grips to help spread the load out a bit.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    STATO
    Free Member

Check her saddle isnt too far back, an easy one to miss.

rascal
    Free Member

I think the saddle’s fine thanks STATO….those bars look bang-on OCB…will keep a look out for a set – CRC do them for £30ish…anyone have a pair lying around unused and unloved and more importantly, unwanted?

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

She may have a trapped nerve in her neck.Two things which are bad for the neck is alot of cycling and driving.I have one comes and goes have had physio on it .There are couple of simple exercises you can do which helps.
    You put hand on your chin and press your head back looks odd but works do 10 of them+hands on your shoulders and roll your arms back 6 of them.

matt_outandabout

Smaller TT bike needed?

craigxxl
    Free Member

As Matt says frame too big needs a shorter top tube frame

hambl90
    Free Member

Shorter stem may help move her backwards and also make her sit more upright , I’d try that first.

matt_outandabout

The difference a proper frame size can make:

IMO, if she really is 4-5″ back for reach, she has waaaay to big a bike. Mrs_oab used to get back pain on her old Clockwork – you can see how far forward the saddle is to reduce TT.

Clockwork by matt_outandabout, on Flickr
    She now has Cannondale, similar look to frame size but geometry is higher and shorter – much, much more comfy and you can see it ‘looks’ right when she is on it.

Cannondale F900SL by matt_outandabout, on Flickr
    Time to hunt out a new bike…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘The wife – pain in the neck’ is closed to new replies.