• This topic has 94 replies, 35 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by kilo.
Viewing 15 posts - 81 through 95 (of 95 total)
  • The whole Lopes Kabush podium punch thing!!!
  • uselesshippy
    Free Member

To be fair, John tomac is now more famous for being Eli tomacs dad. 😀

joshvegas
    Free Member

And who pray tell is eli tomac?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’m also one of those who considered myself a MTBer back in the day of Lopes/Missy?/Tomac/McRoy (maybe even before) but never heard of them until the last few years. Namely, I suspect, because I didn’t buy mags back then, wasn’t in any club and wasn’t aware of any ‘scene’ which involved spending a weekend with like minded MTBers, mag editors, sponsors, manufacturers, parading around a big muddy field in an organised event somewhere.

We just got out on our bikes every weekend with a guidebook/map, mostly Yorkshire Dales or Lakes, MTB holidays in Scotland and, if travelling by car, took bikes on climbing trips in the alps as a bad weather plan B. We were blissfully unaware of anything MTB beyond our own little world.

It actually came as quite a shock learning since of quite a big racing scene that existed across the country, as I don’t particularly recall seeing very many other MTBers around, back then.

wwaswas

And who pray tell is eli tomac?

John Tomac’s daughter. D’oh!

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Google him joshvegas. Supercross and Motocross racer. One of the best.

nickc

chamley beat me to it,

I’ve met Lopes (Les Gets, more than few years ago) and can confirm that he was the very end of a bell.

scaredypants

mehr – Member
    Its a shame Lopes doesn’t have any gnarly xc Strava rides up, more people would probably recognise him then

[url=https://www.strava.com/segments/4277976?filter=overall]FWIW[/url]
    Damn, I wish I was called Mo’ Cowbell 🙁

DezB
    Free Member

A 10K downhill! Bet that’s rubbish.

vmgscot

I’m starting to feel too old for this forum – I know all the names mentioned – I even owned a Grundig

scaredypants

A 10K downhill! Bet that’s rubbish.

8)

though there is a 10k climb to do first, unless you’re shuttling

scotroutes

It’s not just an age thing. I’m probably older than anyone else on this thread but didn’t really start cycling until maybe 11 years ago. Plus I’m just not into following any competitive sport.

OTOH I was probably aware of Mike Hall before many others and could tell you more about folk like Matthew Lee, Kurt Refsnider and Jay Petervary*. It just depends what “scene” you’re into.

(*I suspect whitestone could too.)

joshvegas
    Free Member

I think i need a new sport.

Tell me more about this interregional bike polo whitestone…

whitestone
    Free Member

I might just be older than you 😆 Rather oddly Jay Petervary’s name popped into my head while out on my lunchtime walk.

If you are into “X” then it’s likely that you’ll know some or most of the names associated with that. If you aren’t then unless you know them personally or they’ve become known outside their sport/niche it really is very unlikely that you recognise their name.

From past sports of mine could you say who these people are/were? (without Google): Simon Nadin, Jasmin Paris, Kilian Jornet, Andy Pollitt, Kenny Stuart, Dave MacLeod, Tejvan Pettinger.

If you can’t, so what?

brant
    Free Member

John Tomac? Didn’t he design some bikes for PX, so presumably he’s a niche industry insider like Brant?

Cool to get mentioned in same sentence as JT.

Nice video on him just came out. He’s even riding a bike me and him designed together.

[video]https://youtu.be/17mNrYE_2CM[/video]

kilo

, Tejvan Pettinger

Nice bloke but scarily skinny. Don’t think he goes round punching people in the stomach though, not very transcendental. I “know” him as he won the hill climb I was organising a few times.

Viewing 15 posts - 81 through 95 (of 95 total)

The topic ‘The whole Lopes Kabush podium punch thing!!!’ is closed to new replies.