• This topic has 94 replies, 35 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by kilo.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 95 total)
  • The whole Lopes Kabush podium punch thing!!!
  • Wookster

Can’t help but think Lopes comes out as a huge Tool even during his account, the video makes him look even worse!

Pink Bike

joshvegas
    Free Member

I have no idea who they are.

One sounds like an angry dude.

The other an annoying prick who is incapable of reading a situation.

teasel
    Free Member

I have no idea who they are.

GTFO…!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    whitestone
    Free Member

I’m with JV, never heard of any of them. Then again if they are happy to go round throwing punches I’m perfectly happy to leave them in obscurity. 😉

kilo

Don’t know who they are but Lopes sounds reasonably sane and the other guy a bit of a dickwad, as he points out it wasn’t the podium presentation but staged photos a while after, not that hitting people is right.

thepodge
    Free Member

Kabush is a dick, he wanted a reaction and he got it.

If I had one set of clean clothes and someone messed them up after repeated warnings not to, I’d be tempted to punch them too.

kimbers

Sounds reasonable to me, shouldn’t have punched him but shit happens, both tell the same story

In racing pmba Enduro this weekend will try not to punch anyone when im on the podium 😉

Actually I remember a very similar incident on an mtb club trip to s.wales…. in big wetherspoons in trdeagar, the line ‘don’t you dare flick another pea at me’ became a club in-joke

martinhutch

You can always trust middle-aged men to lead the way when it comes to respect, dignity and style.

teasel
    Free Member

Yeah, it’s all pretty straight forward stuff – don’t do silly shit if someone’s asked you not to.

Kabush is lucky he didn’t get hit in the **** face as suggested by Lopes. Instead just a gentle chest blow to let him know he was serious.

chakaping
    Free Member

Kabush was asking for that, he sounds like a condescending bell end.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Those of you who haven’t heard of Brian Lopes – He’s arguably the greatest all round cyclist that I can recall. Multiple victories in BMX, 4X, DH and short course XC racing. Think he used to hold the world record for bunny hopping as well. The guy is a legend.

scotroutes

I’m vaguely aware of Lopes’s names. Not the other guy.

Is anyone else picturing them at a school gate with one in a car?

muggomagic

From the comments and what Kabush infers, it sounds like Lopes was being a bit awkward for the whole duration of the event (nothing new there). So I can see why Kabush might have been tempted to wind him up. I can also see that if Lopes was already in a mood it wasn’t going to end well.
    It’s pretty refreshing to see they’re both fairly relaxed about it and accepting responsibility and aren’t pointing the finger at each other.

Yak

Playground behaviour by 2 well known racers. Just makes both of them look a bit foolish.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

GTFO!

Now lets not be hasty and punch people, you have to remember trolls only do it for attention and it’s entirely likely they dont get the internet or a any MTB magazine from the last 25 years under their bridge and might not have heard of Brian Lopes as a result.

whitestone
    Free Member

BMX, 4X, DH and short course XC racing.

Since I don’t follow any of those genres of cycling it’s unlikely I’d know about any of the riders. Not trolling BTW, I genuinely have no interest in that type of riding, it might as well be darts or speedway.

Maybe the pair of them should grow up?

teasel
    Free Member

Now lets not be hasty and punch people

🙂

I’m Penry the mild-mannered janitor, yes sirree.

kayak23

Lopes has a reputation for being a bit of a Richard, but in this case he simply followed through on what he said would happen.

scotroutes

whitestone – Member

BMX, 4X, DH and short course XC racing.

Since I don’t follow any of those genres of cycling it’s unlikely I’d know about any of the riders.[/quote]I only know Lopes as I used to sell Ibis bikes and there was a component named after him.

thepodge
    Free Member

Lopes is a legend but perhaps past his media prime, a bit like the American Steve Peat but better and from a previous racing generation

chakaping
    Free Member

Why does it matter if you’ve heard of them or not?

chakaping
    Free Member

a bit like the American Steve Peat but better

Controversial! Peaty was very successful in a much more competitive field IMO.

More like the American version of Gee, in terms of his public image anyway.

scotroutes

chakaping – Member

Context? It would appear that one or both of them have personality traits that might explain some of the events and whether or not the punch was “justified”.

DezB
    Free Member

What a fuss about nothing.. Super-competitive, high-level athletes acting a bit highly strung? Get outta here!
    Haven’t read Lopes account, but seems to me he got champagne dribbled down his head by the way he takes his cap off and wipes his head.

you have to remember trolls only do it for attention
    Too true – even if you haven’t heard of them, what the hell does that matter? They are cyclists on a podium and the article tells you why they are there. To admit that your a bit out of the loop when it comes to some of the best cyclists in the world isn’t a proud boast – just makes you look a bit of a pillock. I’d google before typing myself.

Jeff Kabush: “It’s a story I can laugh about anyway” . so that’s his judgement of Lopes, that’s all that matters really.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Since I don’t follow any of those genres of cycling it’s unlikely I’d know about any of the riders.

What genres of cycling do you follow then??? Inter-county cycle polo?

‘cos it’s Brian freakin’ LOPES!

joshvegas
    Free Member

To show i’m not a phanboi of either of them then pass judgement on a coupla fannies being fannies?

Actually i don’t think thearticle does say who they are does it?

Stevet1
    Free Member

Lets try another name for all you Lopes deniers, and careful, now think hard.

J o h n T o m a c

Ring any bells?

chakaping
    Free Member

He’ll need to update this hallowed tome with a section on punching techniques…

DezB
    Free Member

Yet again, The Internet makes a big deal out of a tiny (non)event.

legend
    Free Member

Weird that Lopes was wearing a t-shirt in the first place – must be going soft in his old age

Junkyard
    Free Member

As far as i can see the pourer was a total dick and did what he was asked not to do and got the outcome he was told would happen.

Moral of story is if a person says dont do x or i will hit you then they will probably hit you if you do x.

Its not right but violence is not that hard to provoke in folk if you are prepared to be a dick.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Stevet1 – Member

J o h n T o m a c

Ring any bells?

Yep heard of him. No idea who he is though. I just ride bikes, i’d lump bike racing in with football and most other sports as intensely boring to watch.

scotroutes

Stevet1 – Member

J o h n T o m a c

Ring any bells?

Again, I’m aware of the name. I couldn’t tell you what he looked like or what he rode. You just need to accept that lots of folk ride bikes without following the sport/competitive side of things, buying mags etc.

whitestone
    Free Member

Inter-county cycle polo

I’ve been rumbled! 😆

John Tomac? Nope.

The only DH/Xtreme sports riders I’ve heard of are the Athertons, Steve Peat and Greg Minaar (possibly one or two others) but if you put up photos of them with no caption and asked me to name them I’d have no idea.

Stevet1
    Free Member

J o h n T o m a c

Ring any bells?

Yep heard of him. No idea who he is though

[quote]Again, I’m aware of the name. I couldn’t tell you what he looked like or what he rode. [/quote]

John Tomac? Nope.

*sobs quietly*

joshvegas
    Free Member

I’ve heard of Beryl Burton?

lunge

Lopes and Tomac are both legends in the sport.
    Now, and I can’t believe I’m about to try this, does Jason McRoy ring any bells?

Edit, to be fair Beryl Burton was awesome, an amazing athlete.

martinhutch

[/url]

scotroutes

Now, and I can’t believe I’m about to try this, does Jason McRoy ring any bells?

Are you just making these up now?

joshvegas
    Free Member

Ha i’ll admit i had heard the name lopes and tomac i might have been able to guess was in a pre suspension era with maybe drop bars?

Jason McRoy though i have genuinely never heard of!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 95 total)

The topic ‘The whole Lopes Kabush podium punch thing!!!’ is closed to new replies.