Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 95 total)
  • The `"What do you want from work / my career" question?
  • Kryton57

It seems everyone needs a personal development plan these days and a goal to aim for. TBH there are times where I like my job and times where I don’t, probably like most people.

Now I’m being pressured to answer the above question, and tbh don’t really know how to answer it.

Any tips? 😐

tjagain

How old are you?

My line is now “to pass on my skills / knowledge / experience before I retire”

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Take a long hard look at it, look at the progression paths ahead of you, where you are and what you want from life.

Sounds like it’s a tough question that you need to answer.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I get asked this occasionally. I use generic “I wish to improve myself” lines.

The reality is “I wish to overpay on my mortgage”.

DrP

I have to do this year on year.

I figure that with the dirth of GPs nationwide, they are VERY unlikely to fail to appraise me if I don’t write “I wish to be the best GP in the world, I will train and study for 34 hours a day, 8 days a week etc etc”

This year I have put that my aim/PDP is to “remain happy to be GP for next year, and that my own survival relies on factors above and beyond pushing myself to constantly improve year on year”!

DrP

wobbliscott
    Free Member

A job/career is a means of earning an income. An income is a means to purchasing a lifestyle. I want a job to pay enough to fund the lifestyle I want to live, notwithstanding the usual compromises you need to make e.g. spending 10 hours a day at a desk in order to earn the income to try to live the lifestyle in whatever spare time I have left.

It’s a dog chasing its tail thing.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

A job/career is a means of earning an income. An income is a means to purchasing a lifestyle. I want a job to pay enough to fund the lifestyle I want to live,

It is also possible to do something that rewards you in more ways than financially, stops you going mad and engages with you. I would say I actually enjoy what I do most of the time and find it rewarding but flexible enough to let me do mostly what I like to do.

If you’re going to spend 30-50 hrs a week doing something maybe you need to think a bit more carefully why you are there.

Personally for me the difference between a job and a career is that the career should be a journey that can take you to more interesting places.

Kryton57

@TJ – 45.

Interesting post from Mike. I moved into Sales and despite it being a harsh learning curve and tbh a lesson in growing up, I’m now realising the responsibility I’ve been given and the ability / success I have to do that job which others saw and put faith in, when I wasn’t sure.

Last night I have a well received industry talk to a group of CEO’s in a subject area that I’m less than familiar with. This is potentially the start of a new area to sell in, and the fact that I got the opportunity to do that, it was well received and now needs planning and establishment with partners provides another challenge on top of my core business.

I enjoyed that, and perhaps will I’m bemoaning “Sales” next time I’m pressured when behind target it is a very flexible and varied job, albeit with pressure.

Lifestyle wise I’m not yearning for anything save the ability to make some mortgage overpayments as a buffer to whatever life throws at me.

So, I’ve no need for change, am not eager for a grandiose job title nor do I need a new shiny watch. However I’d like my family to experience the best I can provider and my kids the non-spoilt opportunities to develop successfully.

Hence the question.

perchypanther
    Free Member

” I am actively seeking opportunities to kill again without fear of being apprehended by the authorities”

theteaboy
    Free Member

I have to do this for me and my team. I think there are 3 routes:
    1) I’m in the right role – I have stuff to learn in my current role, I enjoy it and there’s room to develop, etc etc
    2) I’m interested in moving to a similar role elsewhere in the organisation – same level but extending skills more broadly
    3) I want to move to the next level upwards

Something for everyone here I think?

cardo

I don’t miss this cr@p in the slightest… left the world of pdp and objectives for a measly 2% for being a good boy BS…
    Self employed now and my objective is to earn good money with the bonus of gaining massive satisfaction from making my clients homes more beautiful than when I started.

wrightyson
    Free Member

So glad I don’t have to put up with that sort of corporate bullshit and HR type speak at times. Can’t you just go to work and do your job anymore?

Onzadog
    Free Member

To avoid getting strong armed into a management role for as long as possible.

Alex

I subscribe to the axiom ‘up to 30 you have a career, after which you have a job’. Any ‘development’ for me is where the next contract is. I’ll stick in Higher Education as it feels like you might be doing some small good rather than making people I don’t like richer.

That’s enough of a work plan for me. Hitting 50 this year, I’m more interested in everything outside of work. Priorities I guess.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

wrightyson – Member
    So glad I don’t have to put up with that sort of corporate bullshit and HR type speak at times. Can’t you just go to work and do your job anymore?

See differences between job and career, you can just turn up and do the same thing for the rest of your working days. Or you can work with it to develop

BadlyWiredDog

perchypanther – Member
    ” I am actively seeking opportunities to kill again without fear of being apprehended by the authorities”

That seems to show a lack of ambition. I would maybe focus on exponential growth in the number of killings perhaps by recruiting a team of like-minded professionals to work with you. I’d also think hard about ‘without fear’ as a phrase. Maybe emphasise future-proofing your operations by, for example, building close relationships with ‘the authorities’?

jam-bo

i aspire to rise to my level of incompetence.

ads678

I don’t really understand why we always seem to need to be developing our selves. I seems to be seen as a bad thing to be happy with your lot and not strive to get to the next level.

If I stay in this job I want to do it well so will try hard and try to learn to do it the best I can, But I don’t want to move up and get more responsibility and pressure. I struggle with the pressure now.

My wife and I earn decent money, we can afford to do stuff, but I think my kids would be happier with happy parents than stressed loaded ones.

perchypanther
    Free Member

That seems to show a lack of ambition. I would maybe focus on exponential growth in the number of killings perhaps by recruiting a team of like-minded professionals to work with you. I’d also think hard about ‘without fear’ as a phrase. Maybe emphasise future-proofing your operations by, for example, building close relationships with ‘the authorities’?

Appreciate the feeback. Perhaps we can touch base for a one-to one on this?

Bring a shovel.

Jamie
    Free Member

I aspire to

trail_rat
    Free Member

31 and asking my self the same questions…..

currently work 5 on 5 off in africa and truth be told ….hate going to work.

BUT its the best job in the world at the end of my 5 when im coming back to the uk so its a double edged sword. it pays well but the quality of life over all is pretty poor imo and not condusive to a couple of life goals id like to nail down before im 40….

Im looking at various options – even going back to retail management which will mean longer hours/less money but being at home which is beginning to fall into being a very important thing what with family planning and all that jazz…How ever im very reluctant to spend my life sitting behind a desk all day looking at paperwork.

im struggling as all ive ever known is fixing shit/Supervision of fixing shit/running shit offshore and a couple years of shop management.

Choosing a career sucks.

In my last appraisal i wrote “i want to move into sales and applications” – as it would be my best shout for getting back to a job in aberdeen where i live and minimal travel/certainly less extended trips…..

BruceWee

I’ve never been comfortable saying what I really think which tends to be ‘I can cope with doing this job at the moment, by which I mean I don’t want to put my head in the **** oven every night, and I don’t really want to cock that up by going for some sort of promotion or gain new skills which might mean my situation changes. Therefore I just want to turn up, do the job you’re paying me for, and go home.’

It seems like these middle-management social-climbing types think that if you don’t have a plan to become CEO in the future then you’re just not trying hard enough and should be laid off at the first opportunity.

mikey74
    Free Member

Ideally, I want a job that is low stress and allows me to pursue my academic interests, but I don’t think that exists.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If I stay in this job I want to do it well so will try hard and try to learn to do it the best I can, But I don’t want to move up and get more responsibility and pressure. I struggle with the pressure now.

Then be honest, this is how the system falls down, rather than being honest people try and bull shit their way through these things. There is nothing wrong with being Fred from accounts all your life.

perchypanther
    Free Member

There is nothing wrong with being Fred from accounts all your life.

We prefer to refer to him as “He Who Must Not Be Named from Accounts”

IHN

the career should be a journey that can take you to more interesting places.

Sweet Jesus, is it you that writes those motivational posters?

Kryton57

It seems like these middle-management social-climbing types think that if you don’t have a plan to become CEO in the future then you’re just not trying hard enough and should be laid off at the first opportunity.

Until now, that’s how it felt. At the risk of seeming niaive its now being made clear that it need not be the case e.g. Sample made of two of my colleagues being that one is happy to want to earn as much commission as possible before he retires, and the other to pay off his mortgage within 5 years -neither want management roles or progression.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Hitting 50 this year, I’m more interested in everything outside of work. Priorities I guess.

Same here, just want to get the next 5 years over with as painfully as possible then it’s time to go.

I don’t need any more money, I don’t need development, my job has some interesting variations, so leave me alone please.

ads678

Then be honest, this is how the system falls down, rather than being honest people try and bull shit their way through these things. There is nothing wrong with being Fred from accounts all your life.

Oh I’m always very honest. This is not always a good thing…..

My boss knows how I feel and he respects it. I had a bit of a wobble a while back so he knows that i’m just not feeling moving up to next level at the moment. I’ll never say never though, just needs to be at my pace.

DezB
    Free Member

My last job the annual review had a box for next steps: Develop in place. I always ticked that one.
    Had ambitions when I was younger, but they were knocked out of me by successive shitty jobs/manangers (mainly managers), then redundancy over 50.
    Wow, try finding a decent paid job in your 50s where you don’t have to show how ambitious you are. Impossible. Now on the same salary I was in 1999. Ooh, what a career.

darrell
    Free Member

its about maximum pay and benefits for least amount of effort.

its a balance and only you can decide where on the scale for any particular role you wanna be

wrightyson
    Free Member

See differences between job and career, you can just turn up and do the same thing for the rest of your working days. Or you can work with it to develop

I have managed to do that. From humble drop out chemistry student to labourer to running big construction projects single handedly, all without once writing down what I need to achieve. All I want to achieve is more money (standard) and to turn out a quality finish, I still genuinely care about the end result and want to hand over quality buildings, which i think is key to my role.

stevious

I get these every year in teaching and used to hate them as I have no ambitions to take on a promoted post and just want to do a good job.

Now I quite enjoy the reviews as I’ve changed my mindset a bit. I view it as an opportunity to think about what I could be doing to do my job a bit better and what my employer could do to facilitate that. I’m also always really clear that ‘do this thing that will eat into your spare time’ is not an acceptable or realistic action plan so I avoid taking on extra stuff just to seem keen.

If the company is smart they’ll use this as an opportunity to let you decide on which bits of your role to concentrate more on so you can be happier and better at your job.

pictonroad

I work for the Government. Last year I fastidiously completed my Development plan and make comprehensive notes on my progress. For this I was one of 3 in a department of 100 awarded with an ‘exceeds expectations ‘ grading. For this I was rewarded with an actual pay cut, not just the usual real terms pay cut (pay freeze). This year I’m rather tempted to just leave it blank. 😕

YMMV etc

footflaps

I just want an easy life.

My current job is easy and pays well, so I’m very happy with it.

I’ll only change job if it’s forced upon me.

That’s my PDP.

finbar
    Free Member

I work for the Government. Last year I fastidiously completed my Development plan and make comprehensive notes on my progress. For this I was one of 3 in a department of 100 awarded with an ‘exceeds expectations ‘ grading. For this I was rewarded with an actual pay cut, not just the usual real terms pay cut (pay freeze). This year I’m rather tempted to just leave it blank.

YMMV etc

That sucks – which dept? Normally an ‘exceeds expectations’ buys you a hefty 1% 8)

jamj1974

I can cope with doing this job at the moment, by which I mean I don’t want to put my head in the **** oven every night, and I don’t really want to cock that up by going for some sort of promotion or gain new skills which might mean my situation changes.

That feel a lot like me. Kind of content with pay Vs. quality of life etc…

Therefore I just want to turn up, do the job you’re paying me for, and go home.

Pretty much.

Not this one. Do a good job. Treat your colleagues right. Be a little flexible and you know I always make sure it comes back. Go home and have a good life. That’s all I demand from my guys.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Last time I had to answer that question, it was:
    “I’m not really sure, so at the moment i’m concentrating on doing my job to the best of my ability”

slowoldman

My line is now “to pass on my skills / knowledge / experience before I retire”

Mine is now “prepare for retirement”.

Let’s be honest most of this PD crap is just a way of getting you to do extra stuff “off the side of your desk” rather than developing yourself.

DezB
    Free Member

IME most of it is to give managers something to do that makes it look like they’re mananging people.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 95 total)

The topic ‘The `"What do you want from work / my career" question?’ is closed to new replies.