Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • The weekend’s crashes
  • Anna-B
    Free Member

I’m cycling faster at the moment, but have also fallen off twice in one week as a result. Last Saturday, over the bars when my front wheel got caught in a rut on a narrow path, and OTB again yesterday when it hit a tree root I hadn’t seen. One of my riding companions remarked that whilst my speed had increased, my skill level hasn’t.

So, make me feel better by telling me how and why you fell off recently; and,

how can I learn to be faster without falling off all the time?

JonGW
    Free Member

ah, if you ain’t crashing you ain’t pushing it hard enough.

Although, Yesterday I went to ride up some rocks, decided I wasn’t going to make it, went to stop, couldn’t get off my bike, fell down the side down a really steep hill into loadsa bracken, kept on rolling, was pretty hilarious!

knottie8
    Free Member

well I fell off yesterday and you missed it ! I rode straight into a metal cycle path post ! And today the front wheel lost grip just when it shouldnt and slid out causing ground to body contact.If only I was going slower.
    “how can I learn to be faster without falling off all the time?”

learn from your mistakes, know your limits , stop going weeeeeeeeeeee everytime you get to a good bit !

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    sharki
    Free Member

My last off was a failure to unclip(worn cleats) whilst stationary so collapsed on the deck.

You know my last proper off.

I’m riding fairly rapid again now, still only about 80% on flowing stuff so need to wind it in and keep it as it is to prevent a major one again this summer.

Hope you’re not broken anna.

As for how not too fall off when going fast……relax into the bike.

tsr
    Free Member

weight back!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I don’t accept “ah, if you ain’t crashing you ain’t pushing it hard enough. “

I would put it the opposite way – if you are crashing a lot you are riding beyond your skill level. I think that quote is used by clumsy oafs to justify their crashtasticness 🙂

I guess the only answer is to get some training – either from a more skilled mate or from a pro. Lot of training out there available

Anna-B
    Free Member

Hope you’re not broken anna.

I’m not, thank you S, just more bruises and today a sore neck. Did you put a hex on me? You said I wasn’t crashing enough…

sharki
    Free Member

Stop with all these pathetic bruises and sore bits, you need blood loss…Blokes dig chicks with scars don’tcha know.

jam-bo

do near-misses count? i pinballed through a set of trees/stumps/roots far to fast this morning and I have no idea how i didnt hit at least one, if not all of them….

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I thought you just rode thru the trees if they dared to get in your way 🙂

jam-bo

these were big solid conifers, they weren’t giving way for anything…

Rex
    Free Member

I nearly went OTB today, managed to avoid it by smacking my nethers into the stem [shudders at memory]

I usually fall off taking corners too fast without putting enough weight on the fork so the front wheel slides out under me. so, the opposite of what tsr said above: “weight forward!”

thomthumb
    Free Member

came off whilst doing some twisty wooded singletrack.

just as i thought – ‘this is the bit with the treestumps’ – i hit the treestump with a pedal and went otb and took the bike with me. bit dirty and dazed, stiff the next morning but not really hurt at all.

sharki
    Free Member

Jambo…Reminds me of when came down Triscombe DH after you and bignose, sketchy as **** on the cotic and missed so many stumps en route to the exit(mine not the normal one).

Note: if you think you’re going really fast you really should be slowing down a notch as you’re a little close to the limit.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

anna – my comedy crash last weekend on Carn Ban Mor. I was with a posse of faster guys so set off well infront of them and as I heard them thundering up behind me pulled of the side of the track to let them past. climbed off the bike, tripped over a rock and went tumbling across the track right infront of them. I was nearly run over.

RichPenny
    Free Member

stop going weeeeeeeeeeee everytime you get to a good bit !

Please don’t do that, it’s what biking is all about 🙂

My last crash was on a really easy doubletrack descent, just hooked a wheel up because I wasn’t concentrating. I think that focus is the most important thing as you get quicker. As soon as your mind starts to wander, or think about what you’re doing, it can go wrong.

Sometimes, TJ, you have to live life on the edge 🙂

julianwilson
    Free Member

jambo, were you at gawton this morning?

I found last week’s tyres that were ace in the dry and dust there last sunday were completely lethal this morning 🙁
    Managed to ride slow and have a few comedy dismounts and miracle recoveries rather than big spills.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Tell you about my crashes?

There simply isn’t time.

jam-bo

julian – nah, i was at woodlands. it was still dusty there….

crispybacon
    Free Member

Did someone say they wanted crashes with blood loss???

This was me after faceplanting on Dartmoor last Saturday morning, got airborne Ok but landed all wrong….

The next day & I’ve never looked better 😕

but don’t worry folks cos this is me a week later – see I told you it was just a scratch

DannyLeigh
    Free Member

I’ve lost count of the amount of times I’ve crashed, my most recent involved rupturing my spleen, which means 6 months off cycling! 🙁

It just takes a split second for your mind to wander but it can stop you cycling for so long…

hora
    Free Member

annabananna body weight too far forward/positioning or your collapsing your arms when you hit an obstacle? Could also be your grabbing the front brake when you hit something out of fear? Ive done all of these before and gone over the bars- now rather than hover over the bike (right way) I’ll position myself slightly behind the saddle (Safety for poor riders!)

oldfart

Hey AB take it easy girl want you in one oiece next time we meet ! I had a comedy fall off on Friday in my local woods .The groms partying in the woods (see other thread ) were all over the place as i tried to weave my way through this dumb ass girl moved causing me to fall sideways!couldn’t unclip in time!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘The weekend’s crashes’ is closed to new replies.