Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 102 total)
  • The Wed night TheBikeChain ride thread.
  • TandemJeremy
    Free Member

143th floor monk – some of it might be a bit dodgy but there are various bailouts onto road. Did I send you a memory map of it?

I still fancy a play on arthurs seat

13thfloormonk

You did, and I still haven’t had a chance to look at it/ride it myself, sorry! 😳

Rob, fancy exploring around your area (oooer etc.) tomorrow night, assuming its passable that far?

robgarrioch

Could do, I’m around here tomorrow so will report on developing conditions. Remember last time…?

Though I’m fairly sure my freewheel won’t be freezing up, fingers crossed

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Breath baited.

Northwind

couldashouldawoulda – Member

“I probably wont be able to make this one – but I’m wondering if anyone has been along the WoL today? Is it rideable ATM?”

WOL path was rideable at Currie yesterday, very defined squashed line from walkers (and skiers!) which was actually lovely to ride on. But everywhere that doesn’t have good walker traffic is pretty much unrideable, anyone that can make decent headway on a regular mtb with this much snow’s a better man than me, once it’s up past the BB shell things get a bit tricky.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

WOL path was rideable at Currie yesterday, very defined squashed line from walkers (and skiers!) which was actually lovely to ride on.

Cheers! I tried yesterday but kind of lost the will to live along the way! Another stab tomorrow afternoon then. I want to see this 5 foot snow on Puke hill!

bigjim

There isn’t five feet of snow on puke hill, my crazy gf was out walking this afternoon up the pentlands and its knee to thigh deep, deeper on parts of capelaw where the wind has blown it, and shallower in other parts where its been scoured. Anyway it was slow going walking so cycling would be heroic going – its beautiful though, but I can’t be *rsed uploading the photos right now.

I’ve just been out for an hours spin round in town, round a loop in the Hermitage, its actually really rideable and good fun where the snow has been compressed a bit. Its still and dry cold snow so quite grippy and fairly fast rolling, as soon as you go off the walked-on bits you flump to a halt though. The side roads are pretty slow going with deep ruts so its quite slow to get around. I think you’d get a good ride on arthurs seat or anywhere else where the snow has been compacted a bit.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Snowing heavily in leith again now.

To have fun riding bikes we need a slope we can climb easily and have fun descending. I can think of nowt better than Arthurs seat – unless maybe calton hill? Any other ideas?
    Even an hours paying to earn a pint

I will recce arthurs seat tomorrow

debaser

It’s snowing pretty hard in Leith again and given how frustrating offroad cycling was yesterday I think I’m more inclined toward an ascent of the north face of Bellvue to the cask & barrel.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

I’m out for a spin tomorrow afternoon (2-3 hours) so if anyone wants something reccied please give me a shout, Please. I need some motivation after Monday’s sideways slushfest.

Plan A for Wed was WoL to Balerno to Maidens. Plan B was Dalmeny. Plan C is a bottle of Gin and paracetamol.

Calls cost 90pence per mimute. Please vote A or B. 🙂

sharki
    Free Member

There appears to be a two piece split of the weds TBC ride.

One group maning it on bikes.

And the other involved in some sort of helmet lit snowball fight and beerage.

With the possibility of some hervelo members joining in an some sledging.

TBA

druidh
    Free Member

sharki – Member
    There appears to be a two piece split of the weds TBC ride.

One group TJ maning it on bikes.

And the other everyone else involved in some sort of helmet lit snowball fight and beerage.

With the possibility of some hervelo members joining in an some sledging.

TBA

T. FIFY.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Arthurs seat the venue for it all. I have two sledges and a bike and gloves and lights and a big kiddy attitude

sharki
    Free Member

So we all meet up at arfurs seat.

And pelt TJ with snowballs.

This could be an epic STW get togther, inc taxi drivers and the council.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

infamy infamy!

coastkid
    Free Member

I just awoke to another 8″ powder snow out on the path i cleared last night 😮 and forcast is snow all day 😀 back to Pugsley commuting!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Another few inches here.

druidh
    Free Member

I’ve got 12 inches.
    but I don’t use it as a rule.

Stu

Mortonhall was ace last night – following tractor tracks in the open and everything was fine in the trees where folk have been walking. Urban singletrack used by dog walkers is what you need!

13thfloormonk

…dare I suggest Balerno? That was stunning last year once the snow was tramped down. Maybe worth a recce at the weekend.

ojom
    Free Member

me has a cold now so def pub for me.

edit – just had a text from an old teacher travelling north… may have to put them up so NO pub. Darn.

Stu

Balerno will probably be grand as there are lots of folk that walk their dogs on it, but its a long way to go if its not. Really depends if enough folk have walked/skied on the WoL path. I think sticking to the more ‘cheeky’ urban stuff like hermitage, mortonhall, dreghorn is your best bet.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I still fancy a play on arthurs seat. I will have a look at this afternoon as I have to ride accross town later.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

So I take it yer all wussing out 🙁

Arthers seat is fine to ride

chriswilk
    Free Member

If anyone’s up Maidens let me know how it is, maybe a commute on Frday for me, safer than the roads and quicker too, even if it’s a carry all the way up.

Out here in the badlands of Penicuik I reckon were at about 60cm in total. Where it’s been trodden down it’s about a foot thick and nice to walk or ride.

robgarrioch

Pentlands Update…

Pretty soft all over, even the walked bits on the roads have a couple of soft inches on top, eg.

Be good fun if it froze a bit more solid, it seems to be too dry, if that makes sense…? Anyway, here’s a lovely Allermuir to cheer you up 🙂

If anyone’s going to try tonight or tomorrow let me know. Might have a solo effort tomorrow anyway for ‘the craic’ (though Glenlivet on your own doesn’t seem right, somehow)

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I might try tomorrow. Spent this afternoon digging car out but the van is a bigger job, got to dig out the vennel.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Daytime ride tomorrow in the pentalnds?

13thfloormonk

Yes, I’m still planning on heading out tonight, had thought towpath/WOL to Balerno to see what the story is there, otherwise could just struggle up to Bonaly and meet you there Rob?

Stu

Ian, what time you heading out – I could meet you somewhere on the WoL. Though I still reckon it’ll be a slog all the way out to Balerno! I was knackered after an hour and a half round the golf course last night!

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member

I’d be up for that TJ.

13thfloormonk

Say 7 Stu? I’d like it to be earlier but I’m thinking I’ll head home first and I’ve just recieved an extremely inconvenient phone call at work… 😕

Where do you want to join, should we meet at the meggetland bridge?

Stu

Meggetland bridge at 7 is cool, should be two of us. See you there! 😀

ojom
    Free Member

couldashouldawoulda – Member
    TandemJeremy – Member
    I’d be up for that TJ.

Druidh says he might be up for that too!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

right – daytime pentalnds ride. when and where to meet? couldashoudawooda – you are north edingburgh are you not?

Druidh – harlaw?

Times?

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

I’m near Blackhall Sainsburys. Im flexi on times – but need to be back 4pm ish.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

OK – 10 30 at teh junction on the cyclepath there – 12 at harlaw for druidh? Anyone else?

ojom
    Free Member

We is off to the Blue Blazer. Should be there approx 7-7.30pm

Win.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Blue Blazer? Where dat?

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

10.30 it is!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 102 total)

The topic ‘The Wed night TheBikeChain ride thread.’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts