• This topic has 43 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • The Watchmen (Movie)- Can’t wait!
  • hora
    Free Member

Looks like the production team have robbed aspects of many movies including BladeRunner….anyway it looks dark enough..

http://watchmenmovie.warnerbros.com/

duntmatter
    Free Member

I’m just reading the graphic novel and it’s amazing!

Can’t wait to see the film in IMAX.

hora
    Free Member

A Zack Snyder (300) film. RIGHT, I’ve got a week to read the book- thanks for the heads up

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    speaker2animals

Looks wise it looks pretty good. Bit concerned that Dan Drieburg/Nite Owl hasn’t got middle age spread but what can you expect from Hollywood? Read something somewhere about a chnage to the end which worries me a lot.

No I’m not a comics nerd (much!)

stuey
    Free Member

In Imax too!!

– changing the end – I felt let down by the comic’s ending ‘must reread.

MrNutt
    Free Member

CHANGING THE END?!?!?! NOOOOOOOOOOOO0000000000000000oooooooooooooooooooooo

The-Beard

300 was a bloody awful film, full of dudity and ham fisted acting. Hopefully Snyder learnt his lessons on that one.

I have no idea how they managed to translate/cram Watchmen into a 2.5hr movie. I am wary…

hora
    Free Member

Yes, the first time I watched 300 I thought the same. Rewatched it and if you ‘relax’ you can take its stylised approach seriously (in a stylised way)

Ed2001
    Free Member

I really hope its good, unfortunately history tells us that alan moore doesn’t translate well to the cinema. Have to wait and see, at the moment its all the pre release big budget hype so its hard to know, trailers can make anything look good.

CountZero

Alan Moore translates perfectly well to the cinema, he’s just a grumpy git wit an attitude problem. His issue with Watchmen concerns the fact he was promised the rights back when/if it went out of print. Trouble is he made too good a job of it an, against his expectations it’s never been out of print. Nor, to my knowledge, has V for Vendetta, which was an entirely authentic film, and he got into a snit about that, too. I’ve been waiting for the Watchmen film since ’86; I’ve still got proper Grafitti Designs t-shirts with the Rorscharc and Smiley designs on. Sadly lost my DC original Smiley badge; they’re going for $20 on fleabay, but only in the US. :0(
    Sorry, that should be : )
    Still, from what I’ve seen of character photo’s and other stuff, they really seem to have nailed it practically scene for scene from the comic. Can’t wait. Even going to download the app from iTunes for my iPhone. Geek? Moi?

BoardinBob

The Imax in Glasgow have decided not to show it as it’s got an 18 certificate.

shinsplints

I’m letting little bits of wee out in anticipation tbh.

speaker2animals

The fact it’s an 18 does give me some hope that it’s going to be a reasonable job. Just reread last week and forgotten how many killings there are in it.

I think Mr Moores disapproval of the films goes deeper than just loss of money over Watchmen. Let’s face it LoEG is appalling, so much so that I can barely watch more than a few minutes. Though personally I blame a lot of this on Mr Connery and his over inflated opinion of himslf. From Hell gets a lot of bad fan press I haven’t read the novel so can’t comment. As a film in it’s own right I do like it. V for Vendetta, I felt it was a shame that Alan divorced himself from it. Personally I think it was a good job of modernising the story. Thought it lost very little in translation.

From what I know his issue with DC Comics is that at a time when creators were beginning to make some headway with the retension(? Sp) of rights to their creations. DC had contracted Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons to do the comic under DC control. Rights to the properties would then return to Alan and Dave once the comic was out of print. It was very succesful and DC knew following the success of the transfer of comics to a gathered graphic novel as with Ronin and Dark Knight Returns, that if they went straight to printing of an anthology they would retains the rights to the property. A hard lesson learned (but not as hard as the one learned by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster when they created and sold the rights to the last son of Krypton. 40 years fighting to get a $100,000 payout each.

trailbreak-martin
    Free Member

I’ll go and see it, but I’m prepared to be disappointed. I don’t have much time for Zak Snyder and my heart sank when I heard he was taking over the project (from Paul Greengrass too! Come on – from the sublime to the sub-ridiculous!)

Sin City was over rated, and 300 was one of the worst films I’ve ever seen. Snyder is all style over substance and if he’s done the same to Watchmen, then he’ll have ruined it.

I do hope I’m wrong though.

hora
    Free Member

It needs some style though- dont forget its visual as well as content. It needs both to work?
    Sadly Judge Dredd fell on every single level.

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

There is another Judge Dredd movie currently in development. FWIW I also thought 300 was pish.

hora
    Free Member

Really?….

Just booked my Imax tickets for next Sat 8)

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

hora –
    Really?….

Yes really 🙂

It’s being developed by DNA films, the crowd behind 28 days later, Last King of Scotland and Sunshine….so it might not have a massive budget.

ChrisL

I was not impressed by 300 and the stylised look that Snyder went with in it and Sin City served only to reduce my immersion in those movies. I hope that The Watchmen does better, though I am suspicious of a movie that tries so hard to copy the look (and often the shots) from its comic of origin. Comics and cinema are different mediums and sometimes a different approach is needed for a movie to achieve the same effect and impact as its source material.

Also I find it a bit weird that while most characters’ costumes have been shinied-up (Silk Spectre and Ozymandias particularly), Rorschach’s mask has gone from being a PVC-like material to a fabric one.

hora
    Free Member

it might not have a massive budget.

Doesnt need to be for me, all it needs its atmosphere, darkness, despair etc. Fancy CGI etc wont work. I read into Judge Dredd that life had become tedious and over-regulated for the inhabitants of the future city with alot of crime to fill the gaps. Heck even Sugar was illegal?!!!

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

hora –

Doesnt need to be for me, all it needs its atmosphere, darkness, despair etc. Fancy CGI etc wont work. I read into Judge Dredd that life had become tedious and over-regulated for the inhabitants of the future city with alot of crime to fill the gaps. Heck even Sugar was illegal?!!!

For me, the insanity of mega-city one was in part down to it’s impossibly huge sprawl and scope. It was the mechanism that allowed almost anything to happen in JD’s universe so it has to be realised in a way that makes it somewhat believable (within that reality).

I dont think the film needs to be a whizz bang effects driven load of nonsense but I’d like to think that a correctly realised Judge Dredd movie(and universe) could make a successful fim and therfore franchise as there is such a depth of great material there to explore.

For me, Robocop is the closest thing to Judge Dredd that’s been commited to film, so I’d like to see something in a similar vein, and hopefully not a reeboot story. Mickey Rourke as Dredd to start with would be nice.

ChrisL –

Rorschach’s mask has gone from being a PVC-like material to a fabric one.

What made you think it was pvc?

hora
    Free Member

Agree. What I’d like to see is some of the self-doubt/angst that Dredd went through, questioning if what he did was right. Disagree on Rourke, I still think Clint Eastwood could play (an older) Dredd….actually now might be the perfect time for Schwarzenegger if he’d go back!

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

hora – Member
    Agree. What I’d like to see is some of the self-doubt/angst that Dredd went through, questioning if what he did was right. Disagree on Rourke, I still think Clint Eastwood could play (an older) Dredd….actually now might be the perfect time for Schwarzenegger if he’d go back!

Eastwood circa Heartbreak Ridge would have been perfect, but he is 78 now which really is pushing the boat out and f***kin it off a waterfall. In my eyes Dredd was always late forties/fities. Some of the best stories revolved around him ageing and slowing. One great short story was a shootout between dredd and judge giant (a clone of his) and if I recall, dredd uses his witt to just pip him.Or perhaps he looses….long time ago anyway.

Arnie is too bulky, and his accent is all wrong….Dredd is New Yorker (of sorts) I think Rourke is a class act, he could emote enough without taking the helmet off, and he’s maybe not a big enough superstar to merit taking it off in the first place.

Just look at his bloody face now!

Mickey Rourke

Judge Dredd

richc
    Free Member

the online reviews look very good, and when the DVD comes out it has the full version including the pirate comic bits, but that runs at a bladder busting 3hr 45 mins or so.

llama

I quite liked the Dredd film. It was entertaining enough. Lots of characters. Megacity could have looked bigger but Stalone was much better than I expected. It was never going to match e.g. the first Batman movie. It’s only a comic after all 🙂

nickc

I’m not certain TBH, I’ll go see it, but I’m preparing myself for disappointment. I just don’t trust Hollywood to be faithful to the original. Like Alan Moore, I’d prefer it if they just didn’t bother. Comic book translations seem to be the “Genre du jour”. What the Cowboy film was to the 60’s and the Disaster Movie was to the 70’s.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Anyone know if they’re keeping that mad Pirate sub-story in the film? I’d imagine it’d be the first thing to be cut if length of the film was an issue, plus it might confuse a few people.

nickc

I understand it’s been made separately, as a feature, dunno if it’s in the film though

richc
    Free Member

rather than rehash it, read all about it here:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/watchmen/

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/watchmen/news/1797678/zack_and_debbie_snyder_talk_watchmen_extended_cuts

only bad review so far in the previews is from the news of the world, which is a plus point for me I reckon.

CountZero

Rorshach’s mask was cut from dress material that had a continually moving symetrical black pattern on a white background. No mention is made, to my knowledge, of what the material is. Keep in mind two crucial points; Rorshach has to be able to see through it, and even more important he has to be able to breathe! A little tricky, especially when running, with a plastic bag over his head.

hora
    Free Member

I never read the original mags etc for Watchman however I read 2000ad religiously. So I’m seeing the ‘potential’ Watchman film as an outsider I must admit. I hope it does Watchman fans justice 🙂

zaskar
    Free Member

Mickey looks like Judge Judy with that facelift.

trailbreak-martin
    Free Member

ChrisL

I may have misremembered, but Rorshach made his mask from material from an unwanted dress. I thought that he described it as a liquid trapped between two layers and that he needed to use heated implements, which suggested something plasticky. Plus even on close-ups there was never any hint of fabrick-like detail, though that could be down to the art style.

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

Let it go.

kimbers

give snyder a chance

300 and sin city both looked exactly like the comics

maybe they were weighted towards style over substance but it worked for me!

kimbers

its Y the last man that im worried about
    shia labouf looks the part but can he pull it off and as for alicia keys, wtf!?!
    clcik

flyingmonkeycorps

Sh*t, I forgot about Y, never did finish reading it… That and 100 Bullets, both amazing.

As for Watchmen… It won’t be a patch on the novel, as that was very much a product of its time AND the medium. However from what I’ve seen of the film it seems to retain the spirit of the original, which is the most important thing, and transposed what it can to more modern concerns. It might be ok.

roper
    Free Member

I’m looking forward to it, though I do get fed up of the MTV rock with asthmatic singing which seems to be the soundtrack to all of these films.

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

So you know whats on the soundtrack before the film has been released? That’s impressive.

I wouldnt really classify Nat King Cole,Bob Dylan ,Simon & Garfunkel,Janis Joplin ,Philip Glass, Leonard Cohen ,Jimi Hendrix, The Budapest Symphony Orchestra or Nina Simone as MTV rock myself but what do I know?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘The Watchmen (Movie)- Can’t wait!’ is closed to new replies.