• This topic has 57 replies, 33 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • The War on Drugs – who do they sound like?
  • jambalaya
    Free Member

Unbelievably the video is worse than the song. Dreadful.

What @zippysays … dire middle of the road soft rock

offthebrakes
    Free Member

Yes, reminds me of Bruce Hornsby too.

Love the album, even though its not my usual sort of thing.

PJ266
    Free Member

Never heard of them until I saw them live this summer, I am a fan.

metalheart
    Free Member

I think the negative comments above are from upset Stereophonics and Coldplay fans

Or perhaps Mark Kozelek (aka Sun Kil Moon) fans.

He apparently has said ‘I hate that beer commercial lead guitar shit’ about them and introduced a song as being called ‘war on drugs can suck my **** dick’.

I suspect he’s not really a fan…

DezB
    Free Member

I think the negative comments above are from upset Stereophonics and Coldplay fans

Wow, missed that! The most clueless comment on here. I suspect War on Drugs appeal to Coldplay and Stereophonics fans looking for something new to add to their collection of bland.

scandal42
    Free Member

The most clueless comment until you posted that 🙄

Cant have a thread about a band without the music industry experts wading in.

DezB
    Free Member

Glad to oblige 😆

Cant have a thread about a band without the music industry experts people with opinions wading in.

FTFY

ART

Properly love this album – easily the most played of last year, was on a loop in the van for weeks, literally. 8)

ElShalimo

DezB – it’s horses for courses but yours is a non-runner.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

They probably wouldn’t thank me for saying so but there’s a fair bit of Sigue Sigue Sputnik in that track .

RustySpanner

First one has the drum pattern from ‘I’m on fire’ doesn’t it?

Yep, lots of Bruce Hornsby, echoey Strat, 80’s Blue Oyster Cult in there too.

S’all right, but I prefer the originals – apart from Bruce Hornsby, who blew goats.

DezB – Member

Nothing to do with snobbery!
    Desmond, how dare they!

You?!?!
    I have to say they the thought had not entertained the merest possibility of perhaps,if it’s fine later, taking a stroll across my tiny mind.

I like old stuff, but I like my old stuff to be old, not regurgitated

I wonder how many truly original albums or bands there’ve been?
    Can’t be many, can there?

DezB
    Free Member

Being influenced by good stuff is ok.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

E street band… All the time.

Modest mouse and Hope Of The States too.

Derivative but good.

senorj

I bought my brother it for christmas – he asked for it.
    We reckoned on Dylan, Ryan Adams, The cars , the boss ,and dire straits as influences. Our dad would have loved it ,so it was ok with several canadian clubs on board. 😀

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Yay. Someone has finally said “derivative”. I wasn’t sure how to say how much I hate them, and was going to go with “derivative”.

(I actually like them, which is no surprise given the opinions of the usual suspects. Btw, they sound nothing like Dire Straits, though I can understand how that’s an easy insult to come up with. Sounds more considered than “derivative” too.)

RustySpanner

deadlydarcy – Member
    Btw, they sound nothing like Dire Straits, though I can understand how that’s an easy insult to come up with

I’d see it as a compliment – I love Dire Straits, the first album in particular.
    🙂

Interesting to hear musicians reinterpreting their parent’s record collections:
    Pastiches can be a bit naff (I think they often miss the point of what made the original great in the first place) but a homage done with genuine love for the music can be excellent.

I was serious about the originality comment btw – I don’t really think there has ever been that much that could genuinely described as new.

oldboy
    Free Member

Dylan was my first impression.

DezB
    Free Member

I think your Mick Jagger was better. Like he was in the room.

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘The War on Drugs – who do they sound like?’ is closed to new replies.