Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • The War on Drugs – A Deeper Understanding
  • rone

Out today. I have been looking forward to this for a while now.

Lost in the Dream was on constant repeat for me; an album on paper I would’ve easily overlooked.

A Deeper Understanding is cut pretty much from the same cloth. So arguably less fresh this time, and they released one too many ‘singles’ for me making it hard to listen to the album as a whole new playlist (unless you avoided the releases.)

Minor issues though when the music is this good.

The same dreamy evaporating music is present and should appease those who enjoyed Lost in the Dream.

Don’t expect much in the way of growth though and you will probably be very happy with the 10 songs here.

Highlights? The 11 minute ‘Thinking of a place’ is hard to ignore and ‘In Chains’ has an exponential melody too.

To be honest there isn’t really a pup here but the real test will be six months down the line to see if the play it safe approach gives it legs.

This next couple of weeks is great for music I reckon. Lots of good releases.

Keep hearing the odd song on 6 – keep meaning to Spotify them – might do later!

fannybaws
    Free Member

still tickets available for barrowlands as well. thanks for the reminder.

binners

The new stuff is bloody brilliant!

I’m away when they’re playing Manchester 🙁

duckman

One of my finds of 2017, so late to the party. Thanks for the barras heads up fannybaws.

binners

Just listened to the whole album. Absolutely outstanding! Even better than the last one

Very Springsteen–esque. Which can only be a good thing

rone

I’m completely in awe of how they take one of my least favourite sounds (Dire Straits) blend in a bit of prog rock, a hint of Springsteen and come up with something so compulsively listenable that still seems of the moment.

Genius.

ElShalimo

Any Tom Petty influences in the new album (lots in the last one) ?

funkmasterp

Have it on repeat at work today alongside the new QOTSA and it is very Springsteen in a good way.

binners

As the kids are out I’m giving it another listen, and I’m happy to report that it sounds even better when cranked up to eleven. Queens of the Stone Age up next here too funkmaster:D

dougiedogg
    Free Member

Are they fighting a war on drugs or are the people fighting the war, on drugs?

oafishb
    Free Member

I respect everyone’s individual musical preferences, but, good god, this sounds like a Don Henley album from 1986.

Garry_Lager

oafishb – Member

I respect everyone’s individual musical preferences, but, good god, this sounds like a Don Henley album from 1986. Give it time mate. As the man said above, Lost in the Dream had phenomenal staying power for an album that sounded pretty dated on first listen. Transcends its influences.

RustyNissanPrairie

Was hoping to find a barely scratching the surface documentary with Stacey Dooley. Is disappointed.

seosamh77
    Free Member

dougiedogg – Member
    Are they fighting a war on drugs or are the people fighting the war, on drugs?

i think it’s a war, on drugs, against music.

rone

i think it’s a war, on drugs, against music.

Interesting. I’ve always read it as the battle with taking Drugs versus doing something productive.

rone

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/the-war-on-drugs-a-deeper-understanding/

Pitchforks review nails it.

Got it on it the garden. Roll on a decent bank holiday weekend.

🙂

DezB
    Free Member

Millions of bands I’d rather listen to before I get round to them.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Brill, thanks- LITD is a great album. I’ll be checking this out.

PJ266
    Free Member

Listened to it twice the whole way through, just as good as Lost in the dream I reckon.

Will probably keep going back to it.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Listening with a beer in our Airbnb stopover in France sat outside with a candle on – sounds great. 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Millions of bands I’d rather listen to before I get round to them.

Millions?

I’m calling gobshite.

binners

Millions?

Steps?

DezB
    Free Member

Millions?

I’m calling gobshite.

How about nearly half a million on here. Then there’s the historical releases, then, by the time I’ve done all those, there’s another half a million new ones on bandcamp… would never get around to derivitive US 70s rock copyists.
    But why does it matter… You enjoy it eh?

binners

S Club 7?

DezB
    Free Member

Heard them. Good pop music iirc

duckman

Thanks for popping in to share Dez… 🙄

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

derivitive

😀

funkmasterp

Although Dez has a point and I applaud him for always looking for something new in music, there’s a lot of really shit music on Bandcamp too. War on Drugs are a great band.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘The War on Drugs – A Deeper Understanding’ is closed to new replies.