Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • The 'Waitrose Effect' on property prices.
  • athgray
    Free Member

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24629300
    If link doesn’t work can someone post link please. Interesting article on the effect of a Waitrose on property prices in particular areas.

brakes
    Free Member

interesting marketing by estate agents, publicised by the BBC.
    the ‘chicken and egg effect’.

TheGingerOne

We only have a Waitrose in my town. Does that mean every property is more expensive than it should be?

Crikey, if they ever build the Morrisons I guess house prices will plummet 🙁

footflaps

We only have a Waitrose in my town.

Really? I thought Tesco had a store within 15m of every UK property, or maybe that’s just Cambridge….

TheGingerOne

Nearest Tesco is on the edge of the next town, about 6 miles away 😆

sharkattack

Really? I thought Tesco had a store within 15m of every UK property, or maybe that’s just Cambridge….

No you’re thinking of Sunderland.

And it’s not Tesco it’s Greggs.

piemonster

We only have a Waitrose in my town.

Where?

*puts property on market to escape the riff raff

russianbob
    Free Member

Luckily we have a Waitrose and a Sainsbury’s in our town. I do love Sainsbury’s, it keeps the riff raff out of Waitrose.

dantsw13

Lies, damn lies and statistics.

Its more likely that market researchers for Waitrose chose more affluent areas for a shop, rather than the tail wagging the dog.

Houns

I have a waitrose and a sainsburys. However tesco is opening up next week approx 75m from waitrose 🙁

porter_jamie

Waitrose is great it keeps the riff raff out of fortnum and mason.

will
    Free Member

Well where I live there is a Waitrose and Aldi within a 2 minute walk of each other. So what does that mean?

For what it’s worth i quite like walking into Waitrose with an Aldi bag.

piemonster

I have a waitrose and a sainsburys. However tesco is opening up next week approx 75m from waitrose

Your on to a winner. No longer will you have to share an aisle with some awful smelly tradesmen. They’ll all be in that dirge pit Tesco.

TheGingerOne

Wallingford in Oxfordshire. Even Henley has a Tesco along with its Waitrose 😀

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Only got a Morrisons here. Ken Morrisons house is nearby though, & It’s MASSIVE! (bigger than ours anyway)

hh45
    Free Member

I would not dismiss this so quickly. My hometown was always a bit of a dump that people used to avoid in favour of other nearby towns then quite unexpectedly Waitrose opened in the early 1990s (when the only other chain was Safeway) and people started going there and from relatively big distances to use it. I don’t think it has made the town more desirable as its housing stock isn’t great but surrounding villages will have attracted more retirees and weekenders and ‘escape to the country’ families than otherwise. Its an asset like a leisure centre, shopping centre, golf course or anything else. And probably makes people feel safe in their taste / decision making etc.

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Only Waitrose here too although some plans afoot for a Morrisons on the outskirts

Wondering if TheGingerOne lives in the same place as me especially as my nearest Tesco is also about six miles away

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Every town should have a Waitrose, it keeps the dithering old dears in their Nissan Micras out of Tescos.

project
    Free Member

Waitrose will soon be having built a new store in chester in a rather run down part of the city, but at least its redeveloping a large run down area, and hopefully regenerating the area, and theyre also paying for a whole new set of traffic lights,and road junction improvements, just what chester needs more of.

andypaul99
    Free Member

Is’nt it sad that a measure of success is if you have the right Supermarket in your town? The worlds gone mad.

john_drummer
    Free Member

within 5 miles of my house I have 1 Waitrose, 2 Sainsbury, 1 Tesco, 1 Asda, 2 Aldi and 3 Morrisons.

Within 10 miles I can also add 1 Booths.
    Now they are top notch, especially the beer aisle…

brooess
    Free Member

Even my butler thinks Waitrose has gone too common recently

Sonor
    Free Member

My town already has a waitrose…and an Iceland right next door, a Lidl couple hundred yards away and a tesco metro along with a Co-operative. And a Tesco a mile outside of town.

Some of the Snobby Residents of Teddington fought successfully against a Sainsburys metro opening in the high street, claiming among other things, it would lead to anti-social behaviour. 😯 It would have been in the posh end of the high street. There was talk they would have preferred a Waitrose, the posh end already has an M&S simply food store.

The “rough end” of the high street already has a Tescos, but even up this end the local greggs closed down.

athgray
    Free Member

I can’t drive past Booths. Have to pop in for beer and cheese.

mudshark
    Free Member

In the middle of my Surrey village Lidl and Waitrose were both trying to develop a car park, we’ve fought them off so far preferring to keep our village shops. We have supermarkets in Leatherhead not too far away so seems fine to me.

binners

You Southerners are funny 😆

jambalaya
    Free Member

@mudshark – you are speaking of Bookham aren’t you ? I know that as it’s sadly one of the few places left with local shops

jambalaya
    Free Member

binners – Member
    You Southerners are funny

I’m so glad you’ve pointed this out, I have to say it’s always hissed me right off that Northerners have a reputation for being more humorous.

winston_dog
    Free Member

In the small town/large village next to me we only have a Waitrose and it is not a very “posh” place. It does have a train line and is 45mins into London though.
    Some of the villages around about are quite well to do mind.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

My nearest food shop is M&S. Then its Waitrose. then Tesco and Aldi.
    Happily drive to Penrith to go to Booths though 🙂

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

What’s Waitrose?
    Is it a pale Southern imitation of Booths? 😉

andyl
    Free Member

I have to admit, when we were looking to relocate I checked the Waitrose branch finder to make sure that there was one within 20 minutes and that it had a cafe for my bacon sandwich and a free coffee.

senorj

Where I live the locals were so horrified at the prospect of a waitrose ,
    a petition successfully blocked it!!!the fools. 🙂
    My missus loves waitrose…………

mudshark
    Free Member

you are speaking of Bookham aren’t you ?

Yep. I was somewhat amused just after moving when I was working in Leatherhead and coudn’t find the butcher, was told I had to go to Bookham for that – and we have two!

kcal

Nearest Waitrose is 175 miles away so no danger of the Waitrose effect for us..

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Like Booths, but not as expensive. Times are tough down South, dont you know!!! Cant afford Booths…..

bland

I love the reduced counter in Waitrose, all too posh to be seen diving in so i just clear it out!

There aint many up north though, not that im disappointed, we still have the means to buy a loaf of bread for less than £3

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘The 'Waitrose Effect' on property prices.’ is closed to new replies.