Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • The Velvet Underground & Nico.
  • globalti
    Free Member

….otherwise known as the banana album.

Just sat down and listened to this; it was recorded when I was 10. Damn, it’s good and almost timeless as well. I really enjoyed it…. Mrs Gti wasn’t so sure though.

singlespeedstu

Way way ahead of their time.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Good call. Love that album, love Nico’s voice. Might have to give it a spin now.

everyone
    Free Member

I can appreciate the musical significance of it but it’s not my cup of tea.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Love it but Nico is shit she cannot even get close to singing

mikey3
    Free Member

You’re number 37,have a look.

somafunk

I grew up to it in the 70’s, i guess it would be my mums fav album as it was on practically every day and she used to chase me around the house to Run…Run…Run…. and when my dad was due back in from the fishing boats she used to play me waiting on my man – It’s weird how some things stick in your mind, i guess it must have been late 70’s as i remember going to school for the first time.

Brilliant album btw, personally i always loved Heroin, especially how the song just built…and built…and built….obviously back then i had no knowledge of the true meaning or even what it was about, to this day i still love it.

CountZero

Love it but Nico is shit she cannot even get close to singing

Sadly true, she couldn’t carry a tune in a bucket!
    However, dear old Lou, bless his soul, wasn’t that much better. 😀
    Still compelling listening, though.

13thfloormonk

Yeah, want to love it but Nico’s voice just grates a bit (was the teutonic singer in blazing saddles based on Nico?). Much like Rodriguez, love his songs but get tired of his voice sometimes.

We played white light/white heat to death in first year at Uni, definitely brings back memories!

theotherjonv

She’s not technically great, granted but those clipped vocals just do something for me. Fabulous album, doesn’t age. If someone recorded it today it would still make people sit up and take note.

kayak23

Fantastic album. My friend gave Lou a massage once when he was touring. Said he was really rude and a total shit.
    Fantastic album though…

failedengineer

Massively overrated. Massively.

IGMC

Lifer
    Free Member

Nah, it’s a real goodun.

samuri
    Free Member

I like it a lot.

SiofCannock
    Free Member

It influenced most of my favourite bands. Sonic Youth, MBV and many many more.

iain1775
    Free Member

Great album, great band
    Prefer Loaded though, or White Heat

mudshark
    Free Member

Yep good despite Nico’s contributions – Andy forced her upon them I think.

tom200

Sadly true, she couldn’t carry a tune in a bucket!

None of them could play either; I thought that was the point? Great album btw.

gordimhor

Massively ahead of its time and truly iconic songs all tomorrows parties venus in furs etc and iconic cover art, but there are some filler songs on it

donks
    Free Member

I was chatting with the two women I sit with at work the other day and I mentioned the velvets. Neither had ever heard of them. They,re both 45 😯

flap_jack
    Free Member

Why would they at 45 ? Born after its release. I’d be more worried if they’d never heard of the Sex Pistols.

dragon
    Free Member

It’s an ace album. John Cale can play for sure and his autobiography is well worth a read.

redstripe
    Free Member

Good choice OP. John Cale’s the coolest of the lot followed by Mo Tucker I reckon. Feel an (illogical) affinity because he’s from the same village as my lot, I went to the same college and lived in the same road as him, albeit years later. Got to see them in about 1993, Lou Reed came across as a bit of a prat with his affected singing, John Cale was as cool as ever. Live 1969 album my favourite of their stuff.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘The Velvet Underground & Nico.’ is closed to new replies.