Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The usual "Exposure MaxxD or Six Pack?" Question
  • commander
    Free Member

I’ve looked up previous threads and I’m none the wiser….
    So, realisation that unless I get out more in the dark I’m going to see my riding realy drop off, plus that I really miss night riding which used to be a regular part of my week, seems to have resulted in a bit of over eager buying.
    2 x bargain Axis Mk5, one for those “it might get dark” days to carry in the pocket and another, well because they were only £100. A Strada 1200 for the road bike which is just ace. A Diablo, not sure why, I think just because everyone likes them and then for the mountainbike..both the latest MaxxD Mk10 and a six pack (mk9?), both in a sale at a good 20% off.
    I cant keep both these as I will spend more time trying to decide which to use each night than actually riding (long story and a by product of OCD…) so one needs to go back.
    Moneys luckily not an issue, I want to stick with Exposure having done the whole cree, better cree, Inton and 4thforty thing…but I cant give either of these new ones a good go as then I cant return one.
    A quick “shine it up the dark lane using the 5% batery charge it came with” seems to suggest the MaxxD is bright, not much more than others I’ve had, but a wonderfully wide and smooth beam. The six pack has considerably more throw, but seems a bit more spotty with less flood, quite dart atvthe sides of my riding position and whats driving me nuts is that it seems to throw sort of lines on the ground where the beams from each LED overlap or something, only really in the foreground in front and to the sides of the bars but coupled with the more spotty beam I really notice them, but this is on a smooth tarmac hedge lined lane, off road on rough ground perhaps I wouldnt notice. I tried another one and its the same so not faulty. The lens doesnt have the sort of cris cross glass yhat the MaxxD and my others have which I suspect is to difuse and smooth the light, its just clear glass.
    So, any real life advice from people with experience of both?
    Do I go for the Mega light but feels spotty and a bit line-ey six pack which I could run on medium and get good long rides with, or the smoother non frustrating MaxxD but not as bright? First world problems….help me out. Is it just me noticed the pattern of the six pack?

martymac

Ive got a six pack mk7, the previous version to yours, tbh I haven’t noticed any downside to it at all.
    The light output on full power is, literally, brilliant.
    But it was the fact that i can still get plenty of light and a 12 hr (or 24 or 36) run time that sold it to me.
    1 yr on from buying it, I don’t regret it at all.
    Acid test, if i had to buy again, would i buy the same thing? Yes!

EDIT: I haven’t noticed any lines/patterns on my six pack.

mboy
    Free Member

My experience of both (and I sell them in my shop) is that the Maxx-D is more light than you would ever need, and the Six Pack is even more light than you would ever need OR more light than you would ever need with greatly increased run times.

IMO the only reason you’d buy the Six Pack is if you need a huge output for a very long time. The Maxx-D on full brightness can be glaringly bright at times (generally run mine on 3hr setting not the 2hr as it can cause a lot of glare which can be distracting/blinding), the Six Pack on full is just madness. So you throttle it back to Maxx-D levels of brightness but with massive burn times instead.

Went night riding tonight with a “mere” 1500 Lumen Gloworm X2 on my bars, and I’m still staggered just how useful that light is for proper night riding. Punches well above its weight and proves that beam pattern is more important in most cases than the all out Lumen Count. I’d still pick Exposure if buying new simply cos they’re a brilliantly convenient product and hugely customisable, but you definitely don’t need to play the Lumen war game to get a fantastic light any more…

wildc4rd
    Free Member

I went for the Sixpack, purely for the better runtimes (though full power on a fast descent is quite nice!) The peripheral lighting is OK, but I still use a Joystick on the helmet for some contrast and to get a look around the corners.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘The usual "Exposure MaxxD or Six Pack?" Question’ is closed to new replies.