Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • The Uninvented : the no-shit bike car bag
  • AlasdairMc

I use a 4 x 5m tarp in the back of my car. Line the inside of the car with it, chuck the frame in, then fold more tarp on top, put the wheels in, then the final bit of tarp on the top to cover over the bike for when you’ve stopped somewhere. Under a fiver, and far quicker and easier to use than the 70 quid boot rack that’s gathering dust.

paulm74
    Free Member

bike covers

any size or spec

soma_rich
    Free Member

Ikea make a grat bag thing that is just the right size for 2 wheels with tyres on I have a couple for storing wheels and tyres.

I think they are only £4-5ish.

crazy-legs

Two big tarps in my car as well, easily covers 2-3 bikes, stops them scratching each other and stops the mud getting over my car. Just shake them out once in a while.

djglover
    Free Member

make one.

Nice idea with the wheels thing, i’m going to use the wheel bags from my neil pryde bag in future. and wrap the frame in a rug

MrGreedy

rockthreegozy, how thick is that tarp thing at MTB direct? It looks pretty good but not sure how resilient it would be to a chainring spiking it.

twohats
    Free Member

I’ve found what you’re looking for Mr Nutt!

DrP

I’ve got the MTBdirect tarp thing. It’s nice and thick – i’ve yet to puncture it.
    It’s got little suckers to stick it to the windows, and holes for the headrest to ‘slide through’ so you can make a neat little ‘kill room’ in the boot of your car!
    I often have it doubled up, then put bike in, fold it over, and put wheels in.

It’s perfect at keeping the rear of the car clean, and can be hosed down whenever.

DrP

edtheluenose
    Free Member

I had a similar problem with putting my bike in me motor, saw this on bike radar http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/grimy-tranny-just-greasebag-it-14449 ,i also bought a fork bag from there website (www.greasebag.co.uk). didn't see any wheel bags though, but they do say they'll do custom jobs

Olly
    Free Member

those blue ikea bags, from, well, ikea, are perfect wheel bags (i find)

clubber
    Free Member

Am i missing something here? Why can't you just use a standard bike bag? I have exactly the same requirements as you (eg keep the car clean while putting a muddy bike in the car) so I just put my bike in the bike bag after a ride I've driven to and that's it. Take it out at home and clean it.

Something like this:

http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/109179.html

VanHalen

dirtworker and towel here. and a waterproof matress protector.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

>why does this product not exist?<

Cos the problem only exists in the minds of the "bike wash / gadget for everything" minority like yourself?

MTFU and buy a big cheap tarp or clean your bike in a river

alanf
    Free Member

My mate has a big yellow bag he got from B&Q.
    Its like one of those bags that sand gets delivered in (lots of sand)
    I think its to fill with rubbish then phone someone and they come and take your rubbish.
    Anyway, it fits in the back of his car, is hard wearing and stops the mud and stuff getting on the inside of his nice shiny car.
    Cheap too IIRC

I was gonna say the same as Clubber. Just get a big bike bag (my Neil Pryde one came with 2 wheel bags) and shove your dirty bike in there.

Personally, I just use an old Ikea bed sheet to line the back of the car to stop it getting too dirty.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

9 months? Holy thread resurrection, Batman! 😉

Olly
    Free Member

I think its to fill with rubbish then phone someone and they come and take your rubbish.

you should maybe almost definatly certainly phone them up 😀

shortcut

that lovely New Zealand compand Ground effect do a really nice 'Body Bag' which will take a bike with front wheel out. Then get a separate front wheel bag.

Job done.

Pembo
    Free Member

My mate uses a patio furniture cover from B&Q. It works well because of the sides, lots of sizes available from places like ebay for about a tenner.

john

Big pack of cling film. Doesn't take up too much space, can wrap the bike as efficiently as you want, will hopefully take the mud off your bike with it when you remove it, and could also wrap an extra slice of cake to eat when you get home.

(Actually – I thought I was joking, but that could work…)

gazc
    Free Member

buy a van 😉

frank4short
    Free Member

Personally i'm in the drive my car to death/i don't care what goes in it school of thought. However my mate uses an empty one of these –

empty 1.5 tonne skip bag approximately 1.5 x 1 x 1 Fits a bike with the wheels take off with a minimum of fuss. Think it cost him a tenner in B&Q too so not exactly expensive.

samuri
    Free Member

when I cared, I bought one of those garden sprays from B&Q, the kind that you fill with water and then pump up by hand and just left it in the boot of my car.

Like this.
    http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/garden-accessories/challenge-5-litre-pressure-sprayer.asp

Also get a soft floor brush, from B&Q as well. The bottle above will get most of the crud off two bikes are properly clean one. And if you're near a river you can repeatedly fill it up.

nedrapier

You'd have to drive a bit more carefully to avoid sloshing, but speak nicely to the lady and she might get her kids to wash your bike on the way home.

jam-bo

my solution is to drive a shit car that I dont care about.

i bought a dirtworker when they were cheap in the sales and rarely remember to take it with me.

runswithscissors

buy a gas guzzling L200 pick up truck and just chuck your bike in the back!Job done

Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘The Uninvented : the no-shit bike car bag’ is closed to new replies.