Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 97 total)
  • The UK's most aestheticaly beautiful mountain trail
  • fergal
    Free Member

I would say Nan Bield, it ticks all the boxes, stunning mountain architecture, a series of almost perfect slalom like S curves meander down the fell side, leading your gaze in to a thin ribbon of trail that flows into a vanishing point on the distant horizon, far below, it flows like no other.

The other contender is obviously that trail in Torridon, sublime.

Sanny
    Free Member

Whiteless Pike – it just keeps on giving.

Binnean Mor – just lovely. Switchbacks – proper pointy mountains – rocky technicalis – big sky and sea views.

MacDhui down to Loch Etchecan – sublime!

The back of Ben Lawers / Beinn Ghlas – you just need to ride it and you will see what I mean.

mogrim

Nan Bield

Assuming it’s this one, that’s fugly. No trees, for starters.

Superficial
    Free Member

I’m quite a fan of the trail over Whinstone Lee Tor. Beautiful views from high up over ladybower/ derwent res. I reckon it’s the best view in the peaks (which presumably puts it in good stead for a shout at one of the best nationally).

RustySpanner

Best views?

Top of Conwy Mountain/Drum down to the sea?

Slate mine trail at Dinorwic with Snowden in the distance?

Thieveley Pike in Burnley – 360° views of Lancashire, the Howgills and the Lakes, the North York Moors and over toward Northumberland on a clear day.

fergal
    Free Member

Sanny I will give you Macdhui, evidence for intelligent design perhaps.
    Ben Lawers i’m not convinced.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Nan Bield is not even the best in the Lakes but thats cheeky so i shall say no more

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

SN38 1NW

Obviously.

greeble
    Free Member

BikePark Wales

wors

Whiteless pike +1

also tiberthwaite ghyl, 😉

GavinB

@Sanny – any tips on good routes around Ben Lawers? I’ve ridden around the traverse track to the shielings, and down the trail by Lawyers Burn, but fancied there must be some better riding over to Glen Lyon.

Oh, and back OT, I’d rate Schiehallion, Devil’s Staircase (Glencoe) and Glen Feshie as pretty aesthetic.

fergal
    Free Member

Oh yeah how could I forget the finest ridge line in the country, but then again I wasn’t talking about the best as in most technical, but the most aesthetic, but I will concede, when I did that ridge I was pretty gob smacked, it is certainly one of the best continuous descents in the UK.

Still think Nan Bield is the most pleasing on the eye.

Junkyard
    Free Member

no way its like riding off the end of the earth and I meant aesthetically not technical

Depends what you want from a view tbh

grum
    Free Member

Ben Lomond ain’t bad:

fergal
    Free Member

To be fair, you are probably right, it has everything, rocky ridgelines usually do, it is quite dramatic in the way it towers above the flat bottomed valley, it was a few years ago, so the image has faded slightly, at the time it made quite an impression.

tmb467
    Free Member

coming down from The Braich – ridge line upper centre – and round, there’s a cheeky bridleway through the gorse, looking over the Mawwdach Estaury, with Cadair Idris in the background and the estuary below

truly beautiful

EDIT – loadarubbish…how can I insert an image without a load of html

fergal
    Free Member

Grum those water bars ain’t very aesthetic 😉

Mackem

Any that I’m on.

not.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Any of the cheek in Thetford Forest.

Winding ribbons of sandy trail sneaking between a mix of conifer and deciduous (sp?).

Swish swish swoop! by NeilCain, on Flickr

Thetford singletrack by NeilCain, on Flickr

Thetford by NeilCain, on Flickr

rewski
    Free Member

Ladies and Gentleman…. The North Downs Way…

bigyinn
    Free Member

the-uks-most-aestheticaly-beautiful-mountain-trail

Read to OP again Mr Cain!
    I dont deny thats lovely though.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Read to OP again Mr Cain!

Pah – semantics. Some of Thetford nearly gets above sea-level, which is close enough. 😉

kcal

All very subjective obviously (and dependent on what you’ve actually ridden, as well).

Not all (because there’s a bundle of double track and estate track) but several sections of the Beinn a’Ghlo loop work brilliantly, and the scenery is out of this world (so good that you have to concentrate on the trail)!

Very near that, the descent down upper Glen Tarf as well. Barely wheel’s width of track worn through peat & heather, sliced into the side of V shaped, steep sided glen . Sublime…

Sanny
    Free Member

grum

What camera are you using there fella?

Cheers

David

edlong
    Free Member

The Ullswater singletrack’s quite pretty, but maybe doesn’t qualify as “mountain”, although the mountains around do obviously contribute substantially to it’s aesthetic charm, so maybe it does?

wl
    Free Member

Sanny – ayup. Is Whiteless the one that ends 100 yards down the road from the pubs at Buttermere – mix of loose rock, bedrock, grassy bits, and some steep stuff? If so, I rode it for the first time last week. Big old slog up, but a cracking descent. Have you ridden the obvious crazy angry steep section of jagged bedrock? There was a bit I chose to walk but reckoned it might possibly have gone riding my big bike if I had a kamikaze head on, with a bit of time to play. You done it?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The bit in swinely labyrynth that goes left right left right left rigggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhht

Stuff the views, just seeing that bit coming makes me happy

Ladies and Gentleman…. The North Downs Way..

Nice to see that some things don’t change.

grum
    Free Member

Hi Sanny – Panasonic GF1 with the 20mm pancake lens.

Grum those water bars ain’t very aesthetic

The way I gracefully bound over them like a gazelle is pretty aesthetic, I can tell you. 😳

ir_bandito
    Free Member

So, Whitless Pike. What route d’you go?

Looking at the map, up and over Grisedale looks like the best approach, then perhaps looping back up Sail Beck and down Rigg Beck

molgrips
    Free Member

grum

What camera are you using there fella?

Asking the wrong question.. it’s not his camera that makes the pictures good!

Did you stop down for those, incidentally?

glupton1976
    Free Member

Cobbler path – end of thread.

prawny

fergal
    Free Member

The Ullswater singletrack would score quite highly if you could add in a few windturbines, the aesthetic could be many things, but to me not necessarily a classic view of a highland glen, perhaps a juxtaposition with the industrial, I quite like the modern aesthetic of a wind turbine in the landscape, look deeper at the rugged rock formations embedded in the trail like jewels in a crown, abstract shapes,i think Nan bield draws you in, a perfect blend of landscape and a feel for the trail, even down to the stones of the trail surface.

Prawny ha ha awesome, shred the gnar brother!

poonprice
    Free Member

Got nothing to contribute really, looks like i need to get up peaks and scotland.

Where’s this? its wales somewhere

From Issue 82?

wl
    Free Member

Think you’ll need to do a lot of carrying whichever way you ride Whiteless. Worth it tho.

IMG_0413 by Will Lake, on Flickr

ir_bandito
    Free Member

wl – that’s lovely looking. Right, that’s just jumped to the top of the “to ride” list

Where’s this? its wales somewhere

Its a trail centre. Don’t know if they qualify….

postierich
    Free Member

This one 🙂

Lemon Drizzle Cake eater!!!!! by Richard Munro, on Flickr
    Or this

DSCF2251[1] by Richard Munro, on Flickr

fergal
    Free Member

Whiteless pike is good over Grisedale from Braithwaite, down the edge, then bit of a slog up to descend Rigg beck, felt worked after, nice but not as good as the ridge with no name.

doubledunter
    Free Member
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘The UK's most aestheticaly beautiful mountain trail’ is closed to new replies.