Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • "The Ukip leader headed to the Gaylord Conference Center"
  • wwaswas

It was meant to be a speech that proved once and for all the Ukip leader is big in America. Instead, Nigel Farage’s tub-thumping speech to the great and good of the US right was made to a near-empty room.

The Ukip leader headed to the Gaylord Conference Center in Maryland, US, to make an appearance for the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC), but looked out to see almost all of the seats empty.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/nigel-farage-addresses-nearly-empty-room-during-us-conservative-conference-speech-10074264.html

I’m pleased right wing Americans see him as irrelevant.

The 10 year old me sniggered a bit at the name of the venue, it has to be said.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Odd. His views on foreign adventurism seem to dovetail neatly with the most popular stance on here…

Hopefully, ernie will be along in a minute to explain it.

patriotpro
    Free Member

I fail to see how that makes him seen as irrelevant…(You don’t count)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    MrWoppit
    Free Member

Never mind, I’m sure there’s other things you’re quite good at.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Odd. His views on foreign adventurism seem to dovetail neatly with the most popular stance on here…

You mean this comment in the link?

“the only politician to tell the truth about the Islamist threat.”

jam-bo

Ooh. I’m off to the gaylord conference centre next month. Can’t wait.

al2000

You mean this comment in the link?

“the only politician to tell the truth about the Islamist threat.”

Probably this one :

However, he criticised the overseas engagements and wars that the US and UK go into together and said he believes it is time for the two countries to reassess whether the actions have been successful. He blamed war for having “inflamed and stoked the fires of military Islamism”.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I spoke to a conference at the Gaylord once. Hellish place.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Probably this one

Well I don’t see what’s “odd” about that. The Tea Party movement has always had a well-established anti-interventionist/isolationist tendency – isn’t that one of their main gripes with the Republican “establishment”? I would expect Farage to play to such an audience.

I found the claim he was the only politician to tell the truth about the Islamist threat more odd, and not least because plenty of British politicians seem to be spouting that sort of rhetoric, along with the claim that Muslims in the UK should be embracing unspecified “British values”, the suggestion being that they don’t.

I don’t think Farage is alone there – it’s cheap vote gutter trawling and rather popular.

GTDave
    Free Member

I was at a conference there last year. CFH is quite correct, it truly is a hellish place.

jam-bo

Excellent. That’s a week of my life to look forward to.

Anything worth doing in the surrounding area?

GTDave
    Free Member

Sadly not. Its a bit out of the way, on the fringe of a downtown neighbourhood. There’s a restauranty / bar area outside, which obviously sprang up to cater for the hotel, but it all feels a bit fake and ‘ghetto’. Incredibly expensive too.

Hotel is big. Prepare to spend aaages waiting for the lifts to arrive at your floor.

I’d advise swerving some time there if you can and get a local taxi (not the luxury ones they practically force you into at the lobby) and head into DC. Do the touristy bits, see the Whitehouse, Capitol Hill, National Monument etc. oh, and the National Air & Space Museum is a must see!

Northwind

Still… I suppose my basic perception was that in general the sort of person who wants to send all the muslamics home is also in favour of sending Our Boys off to fight people in places they can’t spell.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Nigel Farage is much closer politically to the BNP than many people imagine. The BNP which prides itself on allegedly supporting Our Boys was strongly opposed to the Afghanistan War and what they called the illegal Iraq War.

“The British National Party does not want our troops to be used like mercenaries for corporate interests or involved in occupying other nations.”

I doubt that the BNP’s anti-war stance, like Ukip’s, is motivated by a deep sense of human compassion.

EDIT : One of the reasons that the BNP’s vote has collapsed recently is because of Ukip’s recent electoral success.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘"The Ukip leader headed to the Gaylord Conference Center"’ is closed to new replies.