Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • the uk is finished – discuss
  • fastindian
    Free Member

saw this on the BBC are we all doomed? And if so who’s leaving?

Jim Rogers, one of the world’s best known investors, has attacked the British financial system, claiming ‘it is finished’.

Speaking to the BBC, Mr Rogers said owing to the current economic climate, the UK will ‘not make much money again’.

jam-bo

he is just trying to make money. why are the BBC giving him a platform…

Jimbo
    Free Member

BBC in “Sh*t stirring and doom-mongering” shocker!

I bet he and Robert Peston alternated reacharounds whilst revelling in the doom and gloom…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

*Pulls up a sandbag*

As it’s only Thursday, I thought I wouldn’t hit the cellar too hard. So, as a result, there’s only a bottle or twelve of the Berry Bros Good Ordinary Claret to be quaffed.

Could probably rustle up some poppadums as a snack if you’re peckish.

mrmo
    Free Member

we’ll be fine

“I will not allow house prices to get out of control and put at risk the sustainability of the recovery.”
    Gordon Brown’s 1997 Budget Statement

“Under this Government, Britain will not return to the boom and bust of the past.”
    Pre-Budget Report, 9th November 1999

“Britain does not want a return to boom and bust.”
    Budget Statement, 21 March 2000

“So our approach is to reject the old vicious circle of the…the old boom and bust.”
    Pre-Budget Report, 8 November 2000

“Mr Deputy Speaker we will not return to boom and bust.”
    Budget Statement, 7 March 2001

“As I have said before Mr Deputy Speaker: No return to boom and bust.”
    Budget Statement, 22 March 2006

“And we will never return to the old boom and bust.”
    Budget Statement, 21 March 2007

Sandwich

Economics the science of hindsight (or so it seems currently).
    Do I need to supply a glass Captain? Got some homemade salsa for those poppadoms if you want it, made with Scotch Bonnet chilli.

chewkw
    Free Member

Speculate to accumulate … bloody funds speculator.

😡

Torminalis
    Free Member

China currently outputs more honours students each year than the entire population of the UK. I am not saying it sucks but it certainly inhales deeply.

Torminalis
    Free Member

oh, and a nice 1996 Muga Rioja will compliment the chilli salsa nicely…

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Economics the science of hindsight

Economics is the shunned bastard child of astrology

Nico
    Free Member

I blame the decline on the tendency for Brits to be wine and chilli snobs instead of getting out there and assembling junk for the rest of the world.

Smee
    Free Member

mrmo – i think you’ll find that he said there would be no return to tory boom and bust… strictly speaking he is correct.

nickc

Economics is the shunned bastard child of astrology

Feel the vitriol

brakes
    Free Member

the silly ****t’s spent too long with his head up his own arse and doesn’t realise there’s life beyond gambling with other people’s money – he can funk off to China and stay there until he dies a long and painful death under the weight of his own monumental faithless traitorous mercenary shite-filled head

utter bellend

brakes
    Free Member

in my opinion

scaredypants

I don’t think it’s Brown’s/nulabour’s fault any more than those who preceded them.

UK was a notionally big economy mostly on the back of the city of london & the stock market, rather than actually DOING anything. Once “finance” turned out to be a big golden bucket of shite, we’ve got nothing left.

nukeproof
    Free Member

Not as **** as Iceland

I’m still sticking with the UK; we might be doomed but I’d rather be doomed here than anywhere else.

kimbers

first of all the media love a good scare story
    rolling 24hr news, checking news sites blogs forums how many times a day do you look
    meanwhile papers are desperately trying to justify their obselete existence by scaring us more

secondly this stuff goes in cycles we still have a way to go to match our last depression the great depression in america was in another league of fuctupness and america eventualy came back stronger than ever

every chancellor govmnt or economist seems unable to prevent the rollercoaster
    nigel lawson was the first chancellor to decide that all those pension funds were just holding cash back from the economy so he decided to help himself
    norman lamont did the same
    then gordon did it again
    governments are unable to look beyond their next term in power they just want more cash now to stay in power before retiring to a nice fat directoship or lucrative lecture tours

i guess its just capitalism and democracy in action

kimbers

if we are really doomed though joining the euro maybe the only way to save ourselves
    imho the banks have to be bailed out
    we are so dependent on lending we need them this is an oportunity to regulate the crap out of them and restore confidence in them
    to pay for this we will have to get money from europe which i assume would necessitate joining the euro
    or another whopping great loan from america like the one churchill took out and we only finished paying last year
    in the long term we ought to try and move away from the financial service economy that maggie started and nulabour and nutorries embrace

chewkw
    Free Member

Joining euro? LOL!

No!

The only way is to wake up and smell the shite (hhmmm … shittteee…) and reboot the entire economy again by starting from scratch.

That will learn them and become a developing economy again so that the cost of production can be as low as those foreign manufacturers.

It is time to learn the hard way and forget about keeping all eggs in one big speculative finance industry basket … they have been the legitimise loan sharks for too long. Reboot them!

😈

mrmo
    Free Member

mrmo – i think you’ll find that he said there would be no return to tory boom and bust… strictly speaking he is correct.

read my post, i don’t see the word tory?

willard

Hang on… With the euro and pound about equal now, wouldn’t joiing it make sense? We could just get rid of the £ sign on the keyboard and replace it with the € (which my keyboard doesn’t have on, but I ound by hitting a lot of buttons)?

Maybe we could go back to actually making things. Useful things. Like tractors and stuff.

MoreCashThanDash

Join the Euro – oh, yes, that’s really helping Spain and Ireland who cannot take any financial/economic action to save their economies as it doesn’t fit with the needs of Germany and France, which dictates the EuroBank policies.

Only good thing Broon has done is keep us out of the darned thing!

Farmer_John
    Free Member

With the IMF reporting that the UK is uniquely badly placed to ride out the downturn, and public sector pension liabilities set to cripple the economy, my view is that Jim Rogers is unfortunately, right.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Farmer_John – Member
    With the IMF reporting that the UK is uniquely badly placed to ride out the downturn

But, this is most confusing. Our Glorious Leader informed us that we were “well placed” to deal with this.

woodey
    Free Member

The sad thing is that some people don’t realise that people who make these comments usually have a hdden agenda (investment agenda) and are using their media platform to talk markets/currencies up/down.

Of course the UK isn’t finished, don’t be so ridiculous….

sheesh…

Sonor
    Free Member

Investor in “I can’t make any money out of your economy” hissyfit shocka.

While we can blame this and previous Governments for what is happening, I think the population of this country should take a long hard look at themselves also.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

and reboot the entire economy again by starting from scratch

this used to be called a “jubilee”, when all debts were cancelled…

mrmo
    Free Member

this used to be called a “jubilee”, when all debts were cancelled…

Closely related to the Argentina solution….

I suppose our glorious leader might try the Zimbabwe solution as well…

tyger
    Free Member

Yes SB Jubilee is what we need – excellent idea!
    And as for the Euro in 6 months it’s reckoned that it will have completely collapsed!

kimbers

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7846266.stm

well we are officialy doomed now

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘the uk is finished – discuss’ is closed to new replies.