Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 392 total)
  • The UFC/BELLATOR/MMA Thread.
  • arrpee
    Free Member

In terms of the fight, meh. Fair play to him for landing the payday. I’d rather see him in almost any MMA fight, but why should he take bigger risks for, relatively speaking, peanuts?

Did we all catch Aldo vs. Holloway? Beautiful and tragic. Wonder if Aldo will go up to lightweight. Would love to see him fight Nurmagomedov: Khabib’s wrestling vs Aldo’s takedown defence.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Worth a punt.

he has no chance they are surprisingly short given how little chance he has

He would not have much chance against any boxer never mind the best.he is going to get schooled

Jamie
    Free Member

He has a puncher’s chance.

Personally I think it’ll be a dog of a contest, but still going to chuck a tenner on Conor. At least to make me watch it 😀

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    loddrik
    Free Member

I predict McGregor will NOT LAND ONE SINGLE CLEAN SHOT the whole fight. Mayweather is going to make him look totally ridiculous.

This ‘fight’ is so stupid. Canelo couldn’t even land cleanly on Floyd, what hope does a non boxer have.

Anyone who gives McGregor even the remotest minutest of chances is completely deluded.

loddrik
    Free Member

Just been over on Twitter. Some people actually seriously think McGregor can win….

Jamie
    Free Member

😀

Pigface
    Free Member

if he can get anywhere near Mayweather

On paper a total mismatch, McGregor is a terrible boxer

Prepare for the hype and shenanigans to be massive.

pondo

He’s got no hope, surely?

loddrik
    Free Member

Erm, no he doesn’t. Whatsoever.

If pacquiao, marquez, cotto, canelo et al were all made to look average. All excellent champions in their own right. Plus floyd has a good chin, although people don’t realise as he never gets hit.

loddrik
    Free Member

But people will pay to see it, unfortunately. I most definitely won’t be watching.

I’d rather see a proper boxing match. Like Ward vs Kovalev this weekend.

jimjam
    Free Member

pondo – Member

He’s got no hope, surely?

loddrik

Erm, no he doesn’t. Whatsoever. [/quote]

I’d put more stock in someone like Mark Henry saying McGregor has a chance than all the internet pundits put together.

He’s a bigger, stronger, younger and quite possibly faster man who knocks people out for a living. Of course he has a punchers chance. If Conor goes in there and starches Floyd, in hindsight it will have seemed so obvious that it was possible for him to do that. But a more likely reality is 12 rounds of exciting clinching.

It’s almost certain that Floyd will win, but no one knows for certain. That’s why they’ll fight.

loddrik
    Free Member

Sigh……

No point me adding anything else really. Next time I’ll contribute to this thread will be after the fight and floyd has not been hit all fight and made McGregor look completely totally ridiculous.

jimjam
    Free Member

loddrik – Member

Sigh……

Indeed. It’s a sad indictment of the general public’s lack of knowledge when it comes to MMA that this side show is even happening. If McGregor has even a 1% chance against Mayweather in a boxing match it’s still 100 times more chance than Floyd would have in an MMA match.

If the UFC wasn’t in a down year financially I doubt it would even be happening.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Ah, well I might watch my first McGregor fight ever for the spectacle alone. As long as they don’t take the piss too much with the PPV price.

ctk
    Free Member

Punchers chance, but Floyd is the best ever at reducing punchers chances.

Win/win for me, would love to see Mcg get schooled & would love to see Floyd K.Oed.

patriotpro
    Free Member

How shrewd is McGregor though…

tpbiker
    Free Member

As others have said this is a complete farce. Floyd will not knock him out early as that’s not his style and I wouldn’t be surprised if mcgregor sees the final bell. But he’ll have been schooled.

People go on about mcgregors power. If a top pfp fighter like alvarez who also hits pretty hard and is bigger than mcgregor can’t trouble Floyd then mcgregor won’t.

Sure Floyd may completely lose focus and walk into a haymaker, but that’s not happened in 49*fights and it won’t happen now. Only way Floyd loses is if he’s ridiculously careless..and even then mcgregor would need skills to exploit.

I put in the caveat that I also said bellow had no chance against Haye.. But surely this one is even more of a ‘foregone conclusion’

Junkyard
    Free Member

The great white hope sparring with Chris van Heerden.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8kTW1ofejM[/video]

BoardinBob

Horrible news about Matt Hughes 🙁

jimjam
    Free Member

Doesn’t sound good.

nwill1
    Free Member

Going back to McGregor…where I think he may have a chance is that as a martial artist his movements are difference…I’m just wondering if Connor may put him off…

I’m not ruling Connor out, he’s a special athlete!

If he tries to hold a Queensbury stance and style though it really will not end well!!

BoardinBob

The 2nd best boxer of Floyd’s generation couldn’t lay a glove on him.

Barring a phantom punch, something which HoF greats have never been able to do to Floyd, McGregor will be humiliated.

Although Floyd will probably carry him the 12 rounds but Conor won’t win a single round never mind the fight

Junkyard
    Free Member

it will be the luckiest punch of all time if he manages

Jamie
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua3nTNttHKw[/video]
    😀

loddrik
    Free Member

There seems to be quite a few mma fans who think that McGregor somehow may have a chance. They probably just don’t realise just how good floyd is. McGregor will not land a single decent punch on floyd. McGregor wouldn’t stand a chance with a decent pro boxer, trying to connect let alone knock out, which is undoubtedly what he will try to do, with quite possibly the best boxer there has ever been, will be nigh on impossible.

The one thing he has in his favour is that floyd is not really a knockout merchant, so he may make it to the final bell. Had he been in there with a de la hoya/hatton era Pacquiao, he’d be lucky to make it to the section round.

ctk
    Free Member

I’m expecting some type of result that will necessitate a rematch.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I did wonder if he would knock him down at some point to make it look like he could have a chance with his “boxers chance” in the rematch. Whatever scheme they plot Mayweather is not giving up his “0”

No one who knows anything about boxing would give him a chance against a seasoned pro – or amateur – never mind Mayweather

Pigface
    Free Member

Do you think Mayweather will do a proper camp?

I am thinking Lewis against Rahman?

BoardinBob

He’s never not training. Even when he was retired before he was training every day. He lives in the gym.

P-Jay
    Free Member

loddrik – Member

There seems to be quite a few mma fans who think that McGregor somehow may have a chance. They probably just don’t realise just how good floyd is. McGregor will not land a single decent punch on floyd. McGregor wouldn’t stand a chance with a decent pro boxer, trying to connect let alone knock out, which is undoubtedly what he will try to do, with quite possibly the best boxer there has ever been, will be nigh on impossible.

I really don’t have a dog in this fight, I haven’t seen a boxing match in year and never seen an MMA fight but the spectacle has drawn me in.

Some of the pundits are a bit cagey about it, just because it’s so unusual – but, as I understand it if you take emotional attachment out of it, it’s a bit like this?

The Miami Dolphins have been trying to start a ‘beef’ with Toulouse Rugby Club for years, “we’re the best players with an oval ball ever.” They say, for 2 years Toulouse ignore them. Finally having enough they say, okay then – we’ll put on a match – but you have to come to France and you have to play rugby, it’s a very different game to American Football so you can’t use have the skills you’ve learned in your career.

All the time the Dolphins are gobbing off about their chances the tickets are sold out and it’s making millions on TV.
    The actual experts are saying:

The NFL team is actually known for being fairly poor, even by the standards of other NFL teams of running with the ball, only passing backwards and generally the business of you-known, playing rugby, where are Toulouse are some of the best to ever play the game – the diehard Dolphins fans just shout yee haw and say they’re going to win.

The NFL team is used to short periods of explosive action, punctuated by hours of beer adverts and girls dancing with pom-poms, in contrast the game of Rugby has much longer periods of action and is actually in play for a lot longer, again the Dolphins fans cheers their team is going to win.

The NFL team has a lower average age, as most of their players are straight out of collage – the Dolphins fans say “see, we told you they’d win”.

So yeah, they’ve got a chance, they’re very good at games involving running about with and kicking a oval ball, so to the diehard fans they’re as good at Rugby, experts say that if the Dolphins had convinced Toulouse to play American Football, they’d win easily, but they didn’t.

Junkyard
    Free Member

i realise die hard fans will think anything but imagine an amateur [ for he is an amateur boxer at best] American football team taking on the best rugby team and then expecting them to win

It could happen but its so remote as to not be worth considering even if you are a fan of your team/person.

I dont have strong opinions on connor either but he is no boxer and this is about fame and money not sport

WWE might as well show it as it would be more entertaining and the result probably less certain

ctk
    Free Member

No its like an amateur boxer taking on Mayweather.

Very, very little chance.

Saying he has no chance is against logic.

I’m actually not that interested! DC vs JJ yes please. And boxing wise Ward vs Kovalev 3… FFS

Junkyard
    Free Member

Saying he has no chance is against logic

i have never boxed so its technically incorrect to say I have no chance against him

That said the odds are so long it is what would be termed no chance by anyone.

His only hope is a lucky punch against the best defensive boxer of this era and possibly ever.

That is technically a chance , if one wishes to be pedantic, but realistically its not a chance.

jam-bo

i have never boxed so its technically incorrect to say I have no chance against him

some of the hardest people to box against are people who can’t box…

BillOddie

Draaaaaaaaging this back to MMA, nice to have Holly Holm get a win!

Junkyard
    Free Member

some of the hardest people to box against are people who can’t box…

NO they are the easiest as they do not know what they are doing, expose themself, over reach, have limited movement, poor defence and no plan
    Yes they may attack from an “unusual angle” but that does not make it harder to beat them or avoid their flailing blows.
    FWIW as a martial artist I have fought a boxer and could not lay a glove on him in any meaningful way. Connor is about to experience this as well.

The other thing was i also had to keep going to myself dont kick no grabbing etc and curtail my instincts so this also put me at a disadvantage as i was a bit slower than normal to remain “controlled”.

Beyond extreme luck he does not have a hope

jimjam
    Free Member

BillOddie – Member

Draaaaaaaaging this back to MMA, nice to have Holly Holm get a win!

Yep. Hollie is a bad ************. The fact that De Randamie is vacating the title just highlights how she didn’t deserve the belt. It’s fair to say Bethe was not on her level but she deserves a slightly easier fight to get back in the win column.

jimjam
    Free Member

Junkyard

That is technically a chance , if one wishes to be pedantic, but realistically its not a chance.

Beyond extreme luck he does not have a hope

So guess anyone wanting some free money should bet the house on Floyd? A £10,000 stake will earn you £1142.

nwill1
    Free Member

jimjam…hit the nail on the head all these commentators saying he has no chance would not put big money on it the question is why not?

I can’t see how Connor would win but I’m not ruling him out.

He’s been doubted at every stage of his career and always come through!

pondo

… Well, apart from the three fights he lost, of course.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 392 total)

The topic ‘The UFC/BELLATOR/MMA Thread.’ is closed to new replies.